Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,843 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in an apartment that is undergoing forclosure. I never signed a lease with the landlord, but we did have a verbal agreement. I had been pating him for the last few months but now he is telling me that he wants me out because he wants to rent out the apartment to someone else until the bank ceases the property. I am not planning on going anywhere until i am evicted by court authority. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 AM

529 posts, read 1,140,740 times
Doesn't matter what we think.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...apartment.html

just google. you probably have some rights

Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,799,518 times
You can be an ass and stay but when you don't have a signed lease you are month to month with a 30 day notice from either party.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,406,923 times
See if you can get answers here:

MyFlorida.com - Results

Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,396,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
You can be an ass and stay but when you don't have a signed lease you are month to month with a 30 day notice from either party.
^^^Exactly. I would just get out, there's not point in all the stress you'll put yourself through.

BTW, moving this to the Rental forums for you.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,394,250 times
If he gives you 30 day notice to vacate, you then are there illegally on day 31, even if you keep paying rent. He then could go for an illegal detainer, and that would show up on your public record forever, as well as possibly on your credit report, depending on how your state courts report an illegal detainer, and whether they file the court costs judgment at the same time. Makes it very difficult to rent anything else in the future. And if the courts do issue a judgment and you have a job, he could then file to have your wages garnished until you pay off the court costs.

Sort of seems like biting off your nose to spite your face, to me.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,027,389 times
If I posted what I really think I would probably get in trouble.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,796,565 times
Default Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmocega15 View Post
I am currently living in an apartment that is undergoing forclosure. I never signed a lease with the landlord, but we did have a verbal agreement. I had been pating him for the last few months but now he is telling me that he wants me out because he wants to rent out the apartment to someone else until the bank ceases the property. I am not planning on going anywhere until i am evicted by court authority. Your thoughts?

Do you, obviously you have made it up in your mind to do so. Just keep the bags packed and you might not want to go to the store, have everything delivered and I hope you work at home, otherwise you'll come home to a new door lock that you can't open and people picking through your things on the street.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 PM

78 posts, read 133,938 times
I see why murders happen.. some people do snap and shoot you...

Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM

32,529 posts, read 47,608,287 times
I suspect troll, but in case the post was serious. If you receive a 30 day notice to vacate, get out.

If you force the landlord to take you to court to have the judge order you out and the sheriff to toss you out onto the curb, you will have an extremely difficult time renting any other decent place to live. That eviction will appear on your permanent record, and no landlord will risk accepting you because they will be worried that they will have to take you to court if they ever need to get you out. It could make it difficult to get a good job and it will probably increase your insurance costs.

If you dig in and refuse to move, you are going to cause yourself a huge amount of trouble in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate