U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,569 posts, read 11,494,772 times
It would be almost impossible for me not to find out where her house is and when it goes on the market I'd either let her have it or find some friends to repay the favor. Go to the inevitable open house, talk it up that you looooove the house and really lay it on... then, naw, just looking for decorating tips.....
I might also have a "talk" with the showing agent and broker about what happened, talk about absolute lack of respect and professionalism. Just because it's a tough market does not give license to this type of behavior!!
Dang, I'm mad enough for you I could spit nails......
Deep breath.......OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM

318 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Yea we were pretty riled up about it. We know where abouts she is because she lives one street over in another neighborhood. That is exactly what my husband said..that we should return the favor when we see a sign go up.

It's a roller coaster ride I tell ya..Well at least the one this morning really loved it. Even though she has to sell her house, you never know right? WE just got finished with another showing..It was an agent and a guy. They were inside the house for 35 minutes..and then stood in our driveway for another 1/2 an hour. I don't know what the means..the 35 minutes inside..that's gotta be a good thing right? The 30 minutes outside..I don't know what to make of it. I swear selling a house is like psychological warfare! I feel like a private eye trying to figure out what is going on...A psychologist trying to figure out what they are thinking ...plus the fact that I am just sitting watching these people ..ha Anyway the agent was in her car ...I could see papers flipping. The guy went to one side of the house then the other and then spent the time standing next to the open car door. All I could think..is she better not be trying to schedule an appointment for another house while spending all this time sitting in my driveway!

Anyway..sorry for the ventfest..I just don't understand the whole going through houses to figure out what to price it at..Isn't that what an agent is for? Mine showed me comps...and presented the whole shebang to me. She suggested the bottom line price she thought we should get and told me the highest we could price it at. She looked at photos of other houses and showed me square footage and all that good stuff.

Twinn..i am in Maryland btw..

Anyhow thanks guys!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:56 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,879,672 times
35 minutes in , 30 out...could be anything. could be he was talking about an offer in the driveway or maybe just trying to find where they should go next.
I am pulling for the first!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM

940 posts, read 978,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
So, If I just wanted a two hour notice, would that hurt my showings? I don't want to do anything that may make people not want to come! Those showings are hard to come by!! I know when we were buyers at one time..if the person had 24 hours notice on it..sometimes we skipped the house because we weren't local..and it was impossible to give 24 hrs notice...

Well guys..the lady that went through today...kind of looked liked the lady from yesterday. But I am not getting my hopes up. I have a spot in another part of the development...it's on a hill and I can see my front door from there. I am like a little stalker So they were in the house for 31 minutes 26 seconds.(just kidding about the seconds it was more like 15) and then lingered outside for a couple minutes. I am hoping it was a second showing and she said "Hey I would like to see that house with the dinosaur decorations again".

Again not getting my hopes up...well maybe I am a little
Good Luck!!! My fingers are crossed for you!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 PM

93 posts, read 220,488 times
From a seller's point of view - wow, that is VERY rude... On the other hand, maybe it's the realtor? I personally call my realtor, tell him what we want to tour, then he sets it up and lets me know when. We've had a few same-day tours, one of which was just an hour after we asked... Though we didn't ask for that specifically. Maybe the realtor is asking for the last-minute stuff? You never know...

Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 PM

355 posts, read 684,158 times
Had to laugh along with you...I have definitely been there. Why is it when the house is perfect, nobody shows up but the minute you let your guard down there is someone in your driveway who wants to see it????

Years ago when my daughter was in preschool she brought home a potato and water project...can't quite remember but I guess we were waiting for it to sprout. Anyway the house was on the market and wouldn't you know it 10 min. before a showing the potato and water spilled all over the carpet...not even Fabreeze (not that it was even invented yet) could have covered that odor!

And with the latest sale we had....2 hours before our open house as my husband is mowing the lawn our lawn mower decides to die (OMG...not my husband...the actual machine)...that just didn't come out right. Anyway, while he tries to fix it (typical man) a half an hour later...I kindly suggest that maybe he borrows his brother's mower..we got the job done with time to spare.

But I always try and remind myself (so as to not go insane) that if someone really wants to buy the house, a little mess here and there won't deter them. Put yourself in their shoes...most people have kids and birthday parties. The only thing that has ever totally turned me off while househunting is an unflushed toilet.YUCK!! I probably won't be buying that one.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,569 posts, read 11,494,772 times
My agent gave me comps and suggested I tour them to see what I'm up against and if I agree with what he did.
I declined as I figure I should be able to trust him to comp correctly and I didn't want to put out the sellers for absolutely no reason.
I have no problem with buyers looking, and I would love to tell sellers and their agents "don't come to my house and "shop" me to make yourself feel better about your price!"

Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM

318 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Oh I certainly was riled up about it..i would have rather not known that they did that. Plus the fact that they shopped me and gave me a small window of notice..I was shocked that it's even allowed in the real estate world....to schedule a showing and go through someone else's house to figure out what to price yours. Go on the internet and look it up. They inconvenienced me for there own benefit. ......ok now I have to breathe in and out to calm myself back down... Well anyway at least my son had a decent birthday....in spite of the non showing...Ugh and in this market to do that to someone! Ugh...breathe...breathe... Calming down now .

Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM

6,049 posts, read 11,166,934 times
The more people that see your home, the more likely you are to sell it. Pure and simple. So perhaps the agent hadn't seen your house before and when (if) they list the other one and they show it to someone who doesn't like your competition , they now can bring them by your place.

I offer potential sellers a tour of the competition, but I definitely let the owner of a place we're coming to look at know why we're coming and if that's not OK with them, we just drive by the outside. I don't see anything wrong with the practice so long as everyone knows and agrees to it.

I think I need to write a book for you Jenne03, I'll call it "Zen and the art of selling your home" and hopefully it will allow you to remain calm through the whole process. I know it's a very stressful time.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 AM

314 posts, read 835,183 times
Default Blame the buyers

I always try to give tons of notice, but invariably buyers see something on the internet that they want to see. They usually don't let me know until they get to the office. So we have to call and give very little notice. In addition, sometimes we are in a neighborhood and house looks great from the outside. The buyer wants to see it, so I always call. You would be amazed by how many people keep their homes show ready all of the time (those without small children).

You should have your agent put a note on the remarks that 30 minute notice is necessary. Any more and agents will skip your listing. Then you decrease your odds of selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate