Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM

19 posts, read 134,377 times

Advertisements

We're trying to sell our townhouse in Homestead, FL due to relocation. It's a 2 year old townhouse in a very nice new development. There are quite a few THs for sale in the same area. What can we do to stand out and sell asap? Our TH is a corner lot and has brand new laminate wood flooring and tile throughout. There's been very little interest and no traffic at the open houses. We need to sell asap. Any suggestions?

I've tried to do some research on RENT TO OWN options but haven't found any clear information. Does anyone have information on this option?

Last edited by countrypooh4; 10-10-2007 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,815,406 times
countrypooh4, are you listed with an agent? I have to tell you, in this market, going it alone is not for the faint of heart!!

Shelly

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM

No agent yet. We're trying to sell it buy owner but with the market so slow we might end up having to get the help of an agent.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

582 posts, read 2,004,851 times
I would get an agent immediately, there is way too much on the market to try and compete with an agent's aggressive marketing. Also, they can do a comparative market analysis and get you priced correctly to sell fast.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,519,677 times
I wouldn't get an agent. You are just going to lose 6% of whatever. Just Slash your prices 4% or 5% and put it on a for sale by owner website. You will have more wiggle room in negotiations.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:08 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,872,019 times
Rent to own or lease/purchase? Those are two different animals down here. The first is where you take a portion of the rent they are paying you and apply it to a down payment. Such as you take $1000 rent and agree to apply $200 of that to a down payment for the tenant should they purchase. You can also apply their security to the down payment. Lease purchase, they put up non-refundable funds, sign a contract for an agreed price. You can also agree to put a portion of their rent to the down payment but that isn't the 'norm'. Such as, they put up $5000 non-refundable down payment, sign a contract for your asking price, pay $1000 for rent. If they follow through with the contract, they have $5000 already in for down payment and go forward with purchasing. If not, you keep the $5000. Be careful doing either. The first option is being done because they don't have any funds. The second is generally because they can't get financing but have some funds. Neither is a guarantee that the property is sold and both effectively take you off the market. Leases survive a sale, so who ever buys would inherit your tenants and whatever arrangements you've made with them. With a lease/purchase I strong suggest you have an attorney or a Realtor write it up.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Selling a home in FL certainly isn't easy these days! There must be at least 8 homes for sale in our development alone...it's crazy. We'll just have to be patient and adjust our pricing when needed. We're hoping winter brings in some new buyers our way. We'll have to wait & see. Thanks! =)

Old 10-11-2007, 02:39 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,073,725 times
I would use a Realtor. You said you need to sell ASAP. They market your home. Advertise it. Let other Realtors know that your home is for sale.
That is the way I would go. You can always negotiate the 6% commission if that is what is holding you back from using one.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,519,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I would use a Realtor. You said you need to sell ASAP. They market your home. Advertise it. Let other Realtors know that your home is for sale.
That is the way I would go. You can always negotiate the 6% commission if that is what is holding you back from using one.
You guys are acting like the only way to advertise your home is with a realtor.

Iggyshouse.com gets you on the MLS.

Forsalebyowner.com is a widely viewed website.

Do it by owner. Save yourself the commision as it is more than likely going to sell for the same price (or at least close) no matter which way you do it.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,815,406 times
blss555, then why did you list with a realtor? and didn't you get your house sold with a realtor? hmmmm, interesting.

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate