Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

In DFW TX area
home is close to 30 yrs old
had extensive renno done 4 yrs ago but HVAC is 8 yrs, roof about that old, windows are original except for 2 replaced 4 yrs ago...

inspection report came back with some issues that just seem specious
said there were two leaks -- one under kitchen sink, one under master bath sink--
went to house--could find no leak under kitchen sink, did find leak under master sink that my husband probably caused by not tightening a connection enough when he was doing make ready--so we are happy to fix that...

the inspector cited the gutters for having leaves in them--
we cleaned the gutters ourselves about 3 weeks ago before putting house up for sale--and that was less than a month ago...
It's Fall in my area--there are 3 pecan trees on the lot close to house and couple of other trees plus trees in neighborhood...they are losing their leaves...
there are going to be leaves in the gutter every day until spring...

He said that 3 windows don't open...
we know that all windows do because they were opened and cleaned before house went into MLS
they might be difficult to open, I grant you...

another item was that the concrete pad the outside AC unit sits on is not level--
if so it wasn't level since the house was built...

he said he couldn't check the electrical vent fans in attic to see if they were operational--
wrong--you can use ladder and check both of them because the electricians that installed them did just that when they came back to adjust the temp level they were set to come on at

so I don't really trust some of the items he listed as problems
The buyer works for local mortgage company. I think it is likely she might have personal relationship with this inspector and he might have gone out of his way to find items to object to that she can use to negotiate better price...

The buyer did not use her realtor (who is her mother) to submit this info--
she sent copy of the full inspection report to our realtor with no $$ value for remediation
just something like "hope the sellers will work with me on these"
She has done things like that before--not going through her realtor but directly as a buyer to our realtor...

we are not inclined to give up any more since we think we gave enough already---

Can we respond asking HER to set a monetary value on repairs...
there is nothing on this list (except the non-opening windows) that is really an operational issue
and I think we can get the windows open, take photos, and show her they are functional...

our realtor has been in meeting all morning so we haven't had chance to talk to her about this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
In DFW TX area
had extensive renno done 4 yrs ago but HVAC is 8 yrs, roof about that old, windows are original except for 2 replaced 4 yrs ago...

said there were two leaks -- one under kitchen sink, one under master bath sink--
went to house--could find no leak under kitchen sink, did find leak under master sink that my husband probably caused by not tightening a connection enough when he was doing make ready--so we are happy to fix that...

we cleaned the gutters ourselves about 3 weeks ago before putting house up for sale--and that was less than a month ago...
It's Fall in my area--there are 3 pecan trees on the lot close to house and couple of other trees plus trees in neighborhood...they are losing their leaves...

we know that all windows do because they were opened and cleaned before house went into MLS

another item was that the concrete pad the outside AC unit sits on is not level--

he said he couldn't check the electrical vent fans in attic to see if they were operational--
wrong--you can use ladder and check both of them because the electricians that installed them did just that when they came back to adjust the temp level they were set to come on at

The buyer works for local mortgage company. I think it is likely she might have personal relationship with this inspector and he might have gone out of his way to find items to object to that she can use to negotiate better price...

she sent copy of the full inspection report to our realtor with no $$ value for remediation
She has done things like that before--not going through her realtor but directly as a buyer to our realtor...

we are not inclined to give up any more since we think we gave enough already---

there is nothing on this list (except the non-opening windows) that is really an operational issue
and I think we can get the windows open, take photos, and show her they are functional...

our realtor has been in meeting all morning so we haven't had chance to talk to her about this
It doesn't matter if you don't trust the inspection report, the buyer does.

Fixing leaks is easy. Cleaning your gutters should be happening weekly this time of the year anyway.

The concrete pad probably settled over time and out here it isn't something that most sellers would agree to fix but I don't know about out there.

I would just send the buyer your invoice showing that the electricians reached the fans and found them operational and adjusted the thermostat.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Most of those items don't seem to require any monetary amount. Simply state what you said:

Windows do open.
Gutters cleaned recently, but leaves are falling every day.
Leaks fixed.
Electrical vent fans are operational, feel free to inspect them.
Pad - not going to fix.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Real Estate in Texas (in any state) needs to be in writing. For her to just hand you the inspection report means nothing. She needs to put her needs/wants on the official amendment asking for specific things. She might ask for a closing costs credit, a price reduction, repairs, anything, but until you have anything in writing from her, her Option Period is ticking away and you don't need to worry about it. It's the buyer's responsibility to fill out such an amendment through her agent.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> She needs to put her needs/wants on the official amendment asking for specific things.

Exactly. And then you get to decide what to do.

A thorough home inspector DOES look for anything that could be a defect. It is up to the buyer to decide. Keep in mind that the buyer wanted the house, and probably still wants it after reading the inspection report. Most people try to bargain down using the inspection report, but to be honest the one you describe doesn't have any basis for a significant reduction.

Now if the buyer has changed her mind...then an unreasonable request at this stage is a way of getting out of the deal.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
I would wait for the buyer to ask you for something before you make any decisions.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Oh, the joy it would give me...

Me thinks loves2read is SPOT ON that this "insider" is using their "connections" to get some "scare the bejeepers out of the seller" type inspector to knock thousands off that the sharpie seller will just use to buy a new big screen TV and live happily ever after in their "bargain" home without doing anything to remedy these bogus items. I suspect her MOM is probably too ethical a real estate agent to condone this sort of chicanery.

An 8 yr old HVAC is still WELL WITHIN acceptable life span of even "el cheapo" stuff, assuming this was a quality name brand system probably last much longer. If buyer does not agree TELL EM TO POUND SAND!

An 8 yr old roof is still WELL WITHIN acceptable life span of even "el cheap" stuff, assuming this was a quality re-roof will probably last much longer. If buyer does not agree TELL EM TO POUND SAND!

Send this "report" back the seller with some comps -- assuming you have farily priced your home and accepted an offer that reflects the current condition of your home relative to other that are available maybe her MOM can talk sense into daughter. (If you are in rude mood send of photo of you from behind with a caption like "If you don't want the house AS IS you can kiss the picture. It is a good value and we ain't gonna bend over for you...")

OTOH if these piddling little things are such you can make some concession on price and still make out well compared to recent sales maybe you can afford to just say "you want $1000 bucks toward your new TV, have it..." to get to closing. How are homes selling in your area? Are you priced fairly, have you had other offers?

Don't let emotions of a silly potential buyer obscure reality -- you want to get this sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
In DFW TX area

Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Real Estate in Texas (in any state) needs to be in writing. For her to just hand you the inspection report means nothing. She needs to put her needs/wants on the official amendment asking for specific things. She might ask for a closing costs credit, a price reduction, repairs, anything, but until you have anything in writing from her, her Option Period is ticking away and you don't need to worry about it. It's the buyer's responsibility to fill out such an amendment through her agent.
Yep. I'd send back a "thank you for a copy of the report".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would wait for the buyer to ask you for something before you make any decisions.
Yep. Interlace your fingers and twiddle your thumbs until you get asked for something.

I love chet's response. It's not emotional etc, etc, then he goes off with the picture of a back side. You crack me up my friend!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Our realtor send a second email with the items that the buyer wants addressed that are on the inspector's list of items to be addressed...
I didn't see that initially...

When we bought home in FL this past spring, we had list of items the inspection came up with and two of them had to be repaired before we could get insurance...not that they were so bad but FL insurance is just so screwed up that they have homeowners needing insurance over the proverbial barrel...
and because it was a Relo sale none of the repairs were going to be negotiated with the relo company--which we knew going in...
so we paid for the two mandatory items prior to closing to ensure we could get insurance...
and then spent more money after closing upgrading other electrical items...

My realtor said it was actually better that the buyer did not say give me 3K to address these issues because buyers usually over estimate the cost of repairing some things...
We took out a home warranty when we signed with our realtor so some of the HVAC problems if there are any real problems should be covered under that as well as recalibrating the oven, which he said did not heat at correct temp...
we just have to pay a $60 service call for each repair guy...
We are having a window guy come out tomorrow and have to call a roofer about a vent/stack duct that is too close to the roof...our realtor said that is a very common issue even in newer homes...I guess because the roof goes up before some of those vent stacks are added...

anyway I guess I have calmed down
I take stuff like this too emotional...
my husband is more professional because he does so much negotiating in his job...

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM

One aspect of his inspection report said that 3 windows would not open--
in TX foundation faults are very common--cause homes are built on cement slabs and there is expansive soil--which can shift and compact over time, especially if homeowners don't keep the area around their foundation watered
Normally sticking windows are red flag for foundation shifting----but this inspector cleared the foundation as having no problems...
just surprising that he didn't suggest that MIGHT be a problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate