U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM

12,480 posts, read 6,750,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Divorce also. I almost bought a house that "sold" through a divorce decades ago. She paid all of $1 for it.

In some states, the recording fee isn't based on the amount of the house alone. There's state fees and taxes, county fees and taxes, and town/city/village fees and taxes. It's not always so cut and dry as $1 per $1000.
My best friend wants to sell me her interest in their home for a dollar in front of her soon to be ex but the property may have an IRS lean on it.:hamd :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM

12,308 posts, read 9,539,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My best friend wants to sell me her interest in their home for a dollar in front of her soon to be ex but the property may have an IRS lean on it.:hamd :
RUUUUUUUUUUN!!!! And I mean run like the wind! You do NOT want to be tangled up in that mess with or without the IRS. If the IRS is involved, you can't run fast enough! Run like Forrest!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,725,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
In 2001 the deed says is was worth (tax value I assume) $74,000 single dwelling home.
Listen to what marksmu is saying. The actual market value has nothing whatsoever to do with what the tax assessor thinks.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM

7,921 posts, read 21,618,080 times
I know of a house in Idaho that is worth maybe $150k, and has a $1M (actually $1.2 million) IRS lien on it from the owner's business. It really can happen.

Your best friend might be doing you the worst "favor" ever in the history of mankind.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM

15,278 posts, read 24,798,627 times
I know of several situations.

1. An ocean front property that was passed around between multiple high dollar individuals for tax considerations. Not sure how it worked as I am not in the same economic league, but know that they were using the home to protect assets.

2. Historic home that can not be changed in anyway but may need a boat load of money to bring it back up to code. You pay a small amount to own it, and then years of hardwork and dollars to restore it.

3. Damaged structures that need more work that they are worth.

4. Worthless land. In some parts of California and Arizona you can find land that you can not build on, can't get water to, and about the only thing you can do is tell someone that you own an acre of land that you paid $10 for. (I think it is more, but you get the point.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or