Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM

23 posts, read 78,009 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house. I am working with a Real Estate Agent. I asked for the disclosures and everything seems fine small problems that should have been fixed by now. I looked up the tax information and found that with my offer the seller is due to make 40,000. off of me which I'm not surprised. However with my research I've also found that a registered sex offender lived in the house just 2 months ago. I wasn't informed about this at all. My question is should I have been told about this from my agent? and could I use this as leverage for negotiations? I mean I have 2 daughters that I will be concerned about. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,287,809 times
I don't know, but I don't see why it matters who lived there in the past. My guess is they have no reason to tell you. Would they need to tell you bank robbers were there?
Good luck with your home! What an exciting time!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,202,744 times
I don't see the issue here. What exactly is your concern?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM

I HAVE CHILDREN!!! 2 Girls. wouldn't you want to know that a child sex offender lives in the house or in your area. I know they say love thy neighbor, but DAMN, not this way.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,403,964 times
The registered sex offender lived in the house 2 mos. ago, not now and is gone. I don't see how who lived there once affects you living there now?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,403,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOARISKY View Post
I HAVE CHILDREN!!! 2 Girls. wouldn't you want to know that a child sex offender lives in the house or in your area. I know they say love thy neighbor, but DAMN, not this way.
She isn't saying a sex offender lives in her area, she is saying one used to live in the house she now lives in 2 mos. ago and is gone now.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 PM

No, what I am saying is that I just put a bid on the house that I intend to purchase and found that a child sex offender lived there two months ago. Should'nt my real estate agent informed me of this matter.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,817,742 times
No, the real estate agent is under no order to inform you, you must be informed of Megans Law, and you can research yourself to see if there are sex offenders around you, PRIOR to putting an offer in.

I am stil confused: A sex offender lived in the house 2 months ago? SO? How does that affect you now?

And you aren't concerned about your daughters, you want to know if you can negotiate more money off the deal? and why?

and why does it matter what the owner will be making off their home? I just don't get the point of this at all......

shelly

Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,570,725 times
Exactly, lived there 2 months ago. Past tense. Not presently living there NOW.

Why would it make a difference who lived there in the past. Buy the house, change the locks like any sane person would regardless of the prior occupant. I would change the locks if Mother Theresa sold me the house.

The OP states that the seller is making 40K off them based on the tax records. Be aware that the tax records are not a complete record of the cost of a home. In many jurisdicitions the appraised value has no relationship to the purchase price of the home. If the tax agency is reporting the note value, it may not have access to what the downpayment was, if there is a second note, or any after purchase improvement costs paid out of pocket that would go into determining the basis of the property.

Unless you have reliable data from the seller as to what their basis was, you cannot conclude anything meaningful from the tax records. My own tax records would indicate I have 25K equity, while my most recent independant appraisal would indicate I have 48K equity. Both of these would not include the 6K I spent out of pocket during construction that was not included in the mortgage or purchase contract, so my true equity is off by about 6K of the tax or appraisal value minus the mortgage and downpayment.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,485,388 times
You mean that you want to use your two daughters as leverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate