Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 09:04 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this should be in this forum, or maybe under investing?

But, we currently own a home that is about 3/4 paid off and have lived there for about 3 years. It's in a good location and is part of a large subdivision that is about half built out. As the subdivision grows and new phases are built, I am assuming property values will continue to increase. (barring an economic collapse or any unusual economic situations.) Not that Zillow is accurate, but the Z-Estimate on our home has increased by 80,000 to 90,000 in those 3 years because the comps in the neighborhood keep increasing in price as the area gets built out.

We have a job opportunity that would have us relocate to another part of Connecticut. Wanted to get an idea of the tax implications of keeping the current home and renting it out for another 2-3 years before selling. (Yes, CT is a small state, but it would be well over an hour increase in commuting time if we did not relocate

1) The easiest thing to do would be to sell the current home and use the equity to buy a nice home in the new area.

2) However, if the area where our current home is located continues to grow, it could be a good long term investment to keep our current home as a second home. We could rent it out - comps for home rentals in our area would allow us to cover the remaining mortgage payments, plus property taxes & home insurance +/- $100/month. What would be the tax implications of doing this and selling the home down the road in 2-3-4 years when the subdivision is at or near completion? Any ideas? I think the home would lose "second home" status and we'd maybe lose some deductions as well as paying capital gains if we sold the home?

3) If the tax implications are too serious, we'd have to cover the mortgage, property taxes and insurance, as well as maintenance of the home for letting it sit and maybe using it a few times a year. We could do that, but it would mean not getting as nice a home as we wanted in our new area. Might as well sell in this case, I think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:25 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
if you miss selling that old home within a rolling 5 year period since it was your primary you blew 500k in tax free dollars.

you wait 3 years after living there at least two and it takes longer than a year to get a buyer and close you blew it.

what if you have tenant issues and it takes a few months to evict , do you want to pay for two places out of pocket plus legal fees

Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
This is one of those times you need to consult a CPA or attorney who does this for a living and is an expert in real estate tax. There is a massive amount of misinformation posted on these boards regarding taxes. I'm not even sure if the above is true anymore if you rent your property out, because they changed the rules awhile back. I posted a link to an IRS publication regarding cap gains in another thread, I think it was IRS publication 923 or 953

Old 04-19-2015, 06:42 AM

it is true. it must be your primary for 2 out of a 5 year rolling period to get the exclusion. that has not changed. what changed is treatment of a rental or 2nd home you make your primary after the fact..

Old 04-19-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanks - never heard of the rolling 5 year window. I had thought if we rented for more than 14 days, we'd lose any advantages of the second home as it would shift to a rental property.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is true. it must be your primary for 2 out of a 5 year rolling period to get the exclusion. that has not changed. what changed is treatment of a rental or 2nd home you make your primary after the fact..
You're right the 2/5 year exclusion hasn't changed for primary residence. But now I think the capital gains exclusion is prorated for any time it was a rental after 1/1/09. Doesnt matter if you move back in or not. Like I said, I would strongly encourage people to get their info from a tax professional, not anonymous msg boards. Or at least read the IRS publications themselves.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
You're right the 2/5 year exclusion hasn't changed for primary residence. But now I think the capital gains exclusion is prorated for any time it was a rental after 1/1/09. Doesnt matter if you move back in or not. Like I said, I would strongly encourage people to get their info from a tax professional, not anonymous msg boards. Or at least read the IRS publications themselves.
^^^^This. The IRS website has come a long way in the past few years IMO, and is now easy to use and understand in most cases.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post

the prorating now refers to when you own a rental or 2nd home like we did and intend to make it a primary down the road say at retirement.

if you bought the house and it wasn't your primary day one then the number of years you owned it prior to your making it a primary is prorated.

so if you bought the rental or 2nd home 7 years ago but it served as your primary the last 3-1/2 you would only get 1/2 the tax free exclusion if you sold it at a profit..

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-19-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Thanks - I wanted to get some ideas about it first before I consulted a professional. Looking online at the IRS, or various other sites, can be confusing as there is just so much info out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate