Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,022,218 times

Advertisements

The good news: just days after putting this house on the market, it's already under contract (with a 30-day settlement, to boot)!

The bad news: this time around, I can't think of any amazing gift ideas for the buyers (a couple with two sons, age unknown - I want to do something more than flowers, etc.) or my realtor (the first time I gave her Godiva; the last time I can't recall, I think it was dinner).

Any creative gift ideas for the buyer or the real estate agent (who has become a friend)?

One thing that isn't a gift but I do plan to do this time is something a seller did for my friend when she recently bought her home. The seller left a book filled with information about the home, important phone numbers, local establishments, neighborhood photos, etc. But what I liked the most were the photos of all the plants in the yard and what type of plants they were, photos of the home in different seasons, etc. It was super cute, and such a thoughtful touch.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 11-19-2012 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Improved title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,637,345 times
I gave mine a rave review on both Angieslist and Yelp. Helps get them new business.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM

6,790 posts, read 11,431,878 times
Why not a gift card from Home Depot or Lowes for the buyers? I believe it has been proved you cannot move into a house without at least a $100.00 outlay during the first week of occupancy. At least that is my experience.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,206 posts, read 80,369,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Why not a gift card from Home Depot or Lowes for the buyers? I believe it has been proved you cannot move into a house without at least a $100.00 outlay during the first week of occupancy. At least that is my experience.
Great idea.

As for the realtor, you don't think 6% of the sale price is enough?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, I never thought of that. Very practical. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Great idea.

As for the realtor, you don't think 6% of the sale price is enough?
Well, no. Being she's a friend, she didn't charge me 6%. She also sold my home in 2 weeks in a recession at the price I wanted with a 30-day settlement (also what I wanted). I think that warrants a gift, not to mention, I just like buying people things when I can. Why not?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 6 days ago)

43,084 posts, read 76,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Well, no. Being she's a friend...I just like buying people things when I can. Why not?
You need offer no more explanation than that.
Some folks truly value friendship, good will, and good-heartedness. Good for you.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You need offer no more explanation than that.
Some folks truly value friendship, good will, and good-heartedness. Good for you.
That's a sweet thing to say. Thank you.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM

6,790 posts, read 11,431,878 times
Well, since you liked my HD gift card for the buyers how about something practical for your agent? Gas card, gift card for their cell service, something like that. I'm always a big fan of practical gifts. I've got too many geegaws around my house.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Well, since you liked my HD gift card for the buyers how about something practical for your agent? Gas card, gift card for their cell service, something like that. I'm always a big fan of practical gifts. I've got too many geegaws around my house.
Thanks. That's actually a great idea: a gas card, because goodness knows gas keeps getting more expensive each day, and real estate agents drive a ton.

I prefer practical gifts, too. And since I strongly dislike clutter in my own life, I try to avoid giving it to others. That's why most of my gifts revolve around things people can do, something they can eat, etc. or gadgets I truly know they want (since they've mentioned it) and would actually use.

As for the buyers, my co-worker had the great idea of getting the sons Nerf balls and Nerf guns (soft for young boys, but still fun for older boys - since I don't know their ages, or much about boys since our family is all girls). And of course flowers for the house, chocolate and/or wine for the adults, and my "Welcome to Your New Home" book which keeps growing by the day. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate