U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM

642 posts, read 93,179 times

Advertisements

Very nice lady....single mom might be transferring out of state for job. Good for her. Except she has the same house style as ours, and hers is a complete mess. Cheap window replacements, not kept up, just horrible condition both physically and decorated.

We plan on putting our house on market next year. If hers sells for way less than we think ours is worth, is ours actually worth the same as hers simply because the "comp" is the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,087 posts, read 47,390,427 times
An appraiser should compare and consider condition and upgrades, but is limited to what is in her listing as far as pictures and description. They may not be able to tell from that. You can certainly tell them about it when they come to inspect your home, but how much they consider your arguments is up to them. With any luck the buyer of her house will flip it, and the second sale after updates will be used as the comparable.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,169,244 times
Do you belong in an association? Any way you could ask them to ask her to step it up?

I remember my realtor telling me a similar story about how one of her clients were selling in the city (thus no association) and within a day of doing so, the neighbors across from her painted their house bright blue. It reflected light so well that her living room, home, and everything seemed blue tinted. She was put to tears, but there was nothing she could do besides ask her neighbors to stop / paint a different color (they refused). She said that it really did cut about 10% off the sale price, just for that.

The moral of the story for me is a) home prices in Seattle are ridiculous and not worth it for what you get and b) be a member in an association if possible

Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,087 posts, read 47,390,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I remember my realtor telling me a similar story about how one of her clients were selling in the city (thus no association) and within a day of doing so, the neighbors across from her painted their house bright blue.
Ballard? I know of one bright blue house there.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,567,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Very nice lady....single mom might be transferring out of state for job. Good for her. Except she has the same house style as ours, and hers is a complete mess. Cheap window replacements, not kept up, just horrible condition both physically and decorated.

We plan on putting our house on market next year. If hers sells for way less than we think ours is worth, is ours actually worth the same as hers simply because the "comp" is the same?

Be sure that your listing details all your upgrades including the dates added, with a comment to the effect of "receipts available" or something like that. You can tell the appraiser but she will look at the MLS listing so it's good if the information is right there in black and white. and make sure your house is spotless, tidy and in perfect repair before you list. Appearance does matter to an extent to an appraiser.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 AM

4,385 posts, read 7,533,226 times
Comps are typically based on comparable sales in the last 4 months, maybe 6 months for a stretch. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,178,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Comps are typically based on comparable sales in the last 4 months, maybe 6 months for a stretch. I wouldn't worry about it.
Ditto, ^^^ If you are not moving till next year don't worry about it.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,915,477 times
SUZ

If the houses are the same style and in the same neighborhood, that will be more of a controlling factor then her place is messy/needs work.

I say do not worry until it happens.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,169,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Ballard? I know of one bright blue house there.
I don't remember. I seem to think Green Lake but I could be mistaken.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,683,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post

No. The appraiser typically uses at least three comparables. Just because it's the same model with the same floor plan doesn't make it the perfect comp. The price should stand out if she sells below what the value of other homes in the area, and then the appraiser should investigate further by calling the listing agent for info if he wants to use the comp.

Do you have a reason to think she will sell sometime soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or