Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,509,429 times

Advertisements

Without property taxes in my area, there would be no schools, Police, Firefighters, EMTS, parks/recreation, library, municipal buildings, mosquito abatement and more.

A percentage of my property taxes fund the debt acquired to build schools, parks, pool, tennis courts, walking and bike paths, municipal buildings and library as well as funding the pensions of municipal employees. Some municipalities include garbage and recycling pick up and some do not.

Those who own rental property also pay property taxes which become a part of the basis for the rents being charged. Some municipalities charge a higher property tax on rental properties and some do not.

Unincprporated and faming land generally pay a lesser rate and do not benefit from typical municipal services.

Property taxes create/sustain jobs and make a significant contribution to the standard of living in a given area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

615 posts, read 1,384,217 times
It has been said that Rome changed the world with its concept of property ownership, which all "Western" nation states now follow. Rome (the state) owned the territory it had conquered. Individuals, in turn, owned territory within the empire in the eyes of the state. People could develop and trade land, but the state could take over the land when they needed it.

I actually believe property taxes are among the fairest form of revenue. One owns property not because they handcrafted it, not because they distilled it, only by inheriting it or buying it from someone whose claim on the property would be defended by the state (i.e., with force of arms) against the property being taken by anyone else. You can't really own property if is not being defended, and effective control of property needs a force greater than an individual can muster.

If the laws (in the US, for example) were changed to set defense spending (military and police) to property tax, rather than schools or city services, I think property owners would have a very different attitude to property tax.

The recent trend (in the US), starting in the mid-20th century, but especially since about 1980, has been toward what I call "Pseudo-ownership" - condominiums and buildings whose use is controlled through a compulsory membership in an association, to whom fees are paid and whose decrees are to be unconditionally submitted to. The "owner" is essentially buying the right to rent the property, usually takes on all of the responsibility of owning property, and none of the benefits of it - except the ability to gain by speculation on the value of the property and take advantage of the deductions of property taxes and mortgage interesting in the US tax code.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 AM

2,150 posts, read 5,147,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Personally, I think the property tax is the most unfair tax there is on several fronts, including the right of confiscation.
I'm sure I'll go to my death with the that opinion without seeing it change.
Actually property tax is one of the few taxes that return money directly back into your community. Most property tax bills pay for things like fire protection, schools, library districts, park districts, etc. All of which benefit the community directly. Look at your bill and see where the money is going.

The most unfair taxes are income tax which goes to the federal government to be doled out to whichever political entity is in favor at the time (why should I pay billions of dollars to homeland security in NYC, when the feds won't spend a penny on border security?) and sales taxes which mostly end up funding state programs which may or may not benefit me.

I would rather pay property tax knowing my community benefits than pay for a "bridge to nowhere, in Alaska".

Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
good analogy. actually big brother promises to beat up the thugs that try to squat your land and u in turn pay "tax".
very much like what u described in school.
trust me lots of people here dont think its your property they think u should "share" except when it comes time to pay for anything, then its your property.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,875,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Who is supposed to pay for roads, police, fire, community services, etc.?
But why property tax? Do larger, more expensive houses use more roads, fire, community services than a smaller, less expensive house? Why not a flat tax per head to cover those services?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,581,111 times
Ownership in land has evolved over several centuries but in many ways it has remained the same. Basically, when you buy real estate, you are buying a "bundle of rights", that includes rights of possession, control (within legal boundaries), enjoyment (use), exclusion (prevent others from using), and disposition (transfer or disposal). And all real estate ownership is subject to the laws of the land that basically go back to the Roman era. Fee simple ownership is the most common and purest form of ownership that represents absolute ownership of real property, but it is limited by the four basic government powers of taxation, eminent domain, police power, and escheat. (Escheat is a common law doctrine that operates to ensure that property is not left in limbo and ownerless). It can also be limited by certain encumbrances or a condition in the deed.

This is the reality for people all over the world since ancient times. You could always rent instead of own, but then your rights are even more limited. Real estate lesson over.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,018,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
But why property tax? Do larger, more expensive houses use more roads, fire, community services than a smaller, less expensive house? Why not a flat tax per head to cover those services?
Why do people that earn more pay more in income tax? Do they use more "fill in the blank" than anyone else?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,122,816 times
Property taxes exist so you can't own property in perpetuity without maintaining an active interest in it.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,086 posts, read 76,661,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Ownership in land has evolved over several centuries but in many ways it has remained the same. Basically, when you buy real estate, you are buying a "bundle of rights", that includes rights of possession, control (within legal boundaries), enjoyment (use), exclusion (prevent others from using), and disposition (transfer or disposal). And all real estate ownership is subject to the laws of the land that basically go back to the Roman era. Fee simple ownership is the most common and purest form of ownership that represents absolute ownership of real property, but it is limited by the four basic government powers of taxation, eminent domain, police power, and escheat. (Escheat is a common law doctrine that operates to ensure that property is not left in limbo and ownerless). It can also be limited by certain encumbrances or a condition in the deed.

This is the reality for people all over the world since ancient times. You could always rent instead of own, but then your rights are even more limited. Real estate lesson over.

And it is a good lesson. Great post.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,467,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
You know the saying "the ones with the guns make the rules".

If you purchase a house and the land, i was just wondering why a land owner has to pay 'property tax' on a monthly basis for the life of the home? Why is purchasing land different from purchasing a car? If you buy a car, you pay tax when you buy it and that's it.....but for a home, you're paying month after month.

Seems like its similar to paying a bully at school 'protection money' so that he will let you eat your own lunch.

The 'tax' sort of tells me that you really dont own the land, you're just 'leasing it' from big brother.
rv

The trouble is, local property taxes provide the great bulk of funds for local public services, from public schools to garbage disposal. It is a rotten system. Not only does it put a large burden on individual property owners, it creates massive inequalities throughout society. The quality of public services in wealthy areas are often excellent; in poorer areas, they are a disgrace. I am all for lowering property taxes. However, it is essential to first secure other sources of funding. Unfortunately, finding other sources is the piece of the puzzle those who complain about property taxes usually ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate