U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM

397 posts, read 487,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
Wouldn't be the first time you violated the CD rules. You outed a poster a few weeks ago and had your post pulled. Do you disagree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sure I disagree, as I helped you see yesterday. The post was removed at MY request. No TOS violation was cited.
I posted a link to a business name, and wondered if that may be different from posting personal information. A poster once posted a photo of my house, with the address on it, and that seemed different to me.
Regardless, I requested removal of the post of the business contact, and I am comfortable that that was done.
Itís coincidental that you (or the moderators) removed your outing post right after I called you out (on a post) for outing.

Just to clarify, you posted a link to a posters facebook page. It was his business, but the business name was his name (username was his initials). You gave everyone on CD access to this guys personal information which is the equivalent of posting a picture of his house and address. Coming from someone who claims to be a victim of outing on CD, one would think that you of all people would be sensitive to this.

To make matters worse, this guy works in a RE related business and this could easily have had resulted in him being black balled, especially since some of his posts went against the RE mantra.

Quote:
My business is unnamed, no "DBA." No entity. No firm license.
You trying to put this guy out of business so that you are not the only one without a business name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM

17,579 posts, read 37,993,542 times
Take off your tin foil hat.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 AM

5,703 posts, read 15,346,972 times
I have sold 4 houses. I personally dont care to meet the people that buy my houses. When neighbors ask, I tell them I dont know. Its true.

House 1 - saw them when they came to look at the house (I had car issues and couldnt leave). Our agent did a separate room closing. I liked that. Saw them in the lobby and that was it.

House 2 - Nightmare deal due to our realtor and broker. Huge argument between our incompetent camp and our buyer's realtor. After an hour of screaming matches, we all sat down in the same room and didnt make eye contact. Worst closing ever.

House 3 - We did a FSBO. My husband actually met them a few times because he showed the house, I was working. I met them at closing and found the wife to be extremely rude. We waited in the lobby and she loudly talked to her husband about all the stuff she planned on ripping out of the house (everything that was new). We didnt say anything to them and closed in the same room.

House 4 - Met them at closing, they were polite, we signed paperwork and that was it.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM

397 posts, read 487,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Take off your tin foil hat.
Dont get it. That was over my hat (I mean head).

Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM

41,293 posts, read 31,305,362 times
I bought 30 properties before becoming licensed. I met the sellers only a handful of times. I used those meetings to improve my own negotiationg position.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 12-21-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM

41,293 posts, read 31,305,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I understand that in some states, the buyers, sellers, buyer's agent, seller's agent, all attorneys and escrow officers sit down together for the closing, so they would meet then. But in my state, that doesn't happen, and many buyers and sellers never meet.
I'm in one of those states. It has become increasing common for the sellers to pre-sign and delegate power of attorney to their attorney to close. The parties often never meet.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:00 PM

8,809 posts, read 17,323,138 times
RESkeptic, I notice that I was brought into this. I never considered using my real name advertising and I guess the mods don't either since I've been allowed to use it. I like the job they do on this board and if they wanted me to change my username I'd certainly oblige. I don't believe that me or you are entitled to tell them how to run their website.

In addition there is nothing more transparent than using a real name on the internet because I can't hide from the comments I make. I notice you said I'm using a "business name" but if you want to be technical I work for ERA and that isn't my username. I also own an LLC and an S-Corp which I operate under and that isn't the name I post under either, nor is my website my username. I know that's splitting hairs but just thought I'd point it out since you brought it up.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:54 PM

7 posts, read 34,396 times
What about if sellers still live in the house? If there are problems with closing if agents would explain things to the sellers/buyers perhaps the problems could be resolved. If I buy a house I would like to know how old is the a/c, who services it/ what items are under warranty/ where are the shut offs/ nearest post office/nearest fire department/ trash pickup days/school information/security system/ect.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 AM

8,550 posts, read 8,654,748 times
When I sold my condo, I met the buyer's at closing. I could have signed over POA to my attorney to sign all the docs, but I wanted to be there to do it in person myself.

When I bought a house, I met the owners at the final walk-through the night before closing. Nice people, was good to talk to them about quirks of the house and the neighborhood. We also saw them at the closing. Then also visit the neighborhood as they know some of my neighbors, so I still see them.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:00 AM

7,503 posts, read 5,945,305 times
thankfully, I quickly recognized this as a revival of a 6 year old topic and scrolled to the end....

In general, we don't have buyers and sellers talk during the vast portion of the transaction. Each party has agreed to conduct all matters through their agent, and so we apply our expertise that yes, it might logistically/humanly be great to commence chatting before you ever make an offer ... but that relies on the other party being just as nice as you are. More often, they're going to find a way to use something you said or did to their advantage. And since this is so common, we "protect" our client by advocating for them.

I rarely encounter a situation where the other side's agent is "driving the train" in obviously adversarial ways. When they do, then I try to deal with them first - to hash out the situation - before I communicate with my party. Many are the times I've had a discussion with the agent to tell them what their response is conveying, and have them "double check with their party" to make sure that is the message they want given to my party.

In smooth transactions - which are probably 70% of them - there's no problem allowing the buyer and seller to communicate directly in the last 7-10 days about who cuts the lawn, what the other neighbors are like, the security system, garage door openers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate