Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM

257 posts, read 491,484 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience on what happens (or could happen) when you list your house under "Make Me Move" on Zillow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
If you asking if someone is going to pay you massive amounts of money above what your house is actually worth because you listed it under make me move the answer is going to be no.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Does anyone have experience on what happens (or could happen) when you list your house under "Make Me Move" on Zillow?
You likely would get a lot of agents soliciting you. That sounds fun!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You likely would get a lot of agents soliciting you. That sounds fun!
Depends what they look like and exactly what they are soliciting.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Hah!

Since our inventory is so low, I emailed all the "Make Me Sell" homes in our area that met my buyers specs. Most of them had been listed at least 5 years ago. A few people responded but said they would only sell at the price they set 5 years ago when prices were at least 50% higher than now (and they didn't sell then either). Too bad.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM

257 posts, read 491,484 times
No, not listing anything with outrageous asking price. I was wondering what the intended objective is with this Zillow program, and if there are positive results from either sellers or buyers.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
No, not listing anything with outrageous asking price. I was wondering what the intended objective is with this Zillow program, and if there are positive results from either sellers or buyers.
Zillow is in dire straights. So is Trulia. Both are infested with hard sell solicitation of real estate services (seller and buyer) and much of the information is less than worthless. They are now more magnets for ads than anything else.

The idea was that a potential buyer (or agent) could cull prospects there, approach the owner and maybe make a deal. One quick look and you'll easily find houses listed in that feature that are obvious "what the heck, some fool might drift by...) situations.

Both Zillow and Trulia had IPOs and are now more concerned with shareholder value than anything else. Zillow is getting hammered by Trulia but Trulia is now also losing more and more large customers and those brokerages move to privately run portals. Don't expect them to be around very long other than as ad infected websites.

Another thing to avoid is the Zestimate on Zillow. No one is verifying the condition of the properties and they are using computer processed algorithms to come up with the estimates. Practically worthless and probably do more harm than good.

Before you depend on Zillow or Trulia for anything, I'd have to say get yourself a good agent (buyer or seller) because if you use those web portals you are probably better served with professional help than going it alone. I can hear all the agents frequenting this forum gasp in unison at this comment, did he really say that?

There is nothing bad about using Zillow or Trulia as just a source of quick and dirty type information and maybe looking around an area but for anything serious that involves you spending or getting money for your house? I pass.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Depends what they look like and exactly what they are soliciting.
Well real estate agents tend to love their glamour shots. Maybe there has always been an ulterior motive for those shots that I just wasn't getting.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well real estate agents tend to love their glamour shots. Maybe there has always been an ulterior motive for those shots that I just wasn't getting.
Whaddaya mean, "glamour shots?"

Is it MY fault that the camera loves loves loves me?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Most likely, nothing will happen unless your "make me move" price happens to be very close to market value. If it is close to market value, then you can look forward to lots of solicitations from Realtors who have no buyers for your property but want you to list it with them anyway. In my opinion, zillow is worthless and I definitely wouldn't pay for a "make me move" listing.

I did find a property for clients of mine once on zillow. The house had been listed, then taken off because the sellers couldn't get the price they wanted. It was quite lucky for my buyers because the sellers had just found a house they loved and they were suddenly motivated to sell. I don't expect that happens very often with zillow listings though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate