Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

And, what drives it?

Generally speaking, I'm thinking people wouldn't want to be bothered with newly listing their houses right before Christmas and Hanukkah. Would that be right? Is December a month where you see less new listings because they wait until after the holidays are over to list it for the first time? Is there a hot month for new listings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
The best month is the month you list and it sells. The worst is when you list it and doesn't sell. Both are a direct result of pricing. My best months from a showing activity standpoint in no particular order are May/June/July/December. But that is just the midlands of SC so people in other parts of the country may have different "busy" months.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I would say the worst month to list in is September. People who wanted to move before the school year have already bought. Labor Day is when people take their last Summer vacation. People are getting back to work and things slow down considerably.

December is a good time to list because less people are listing, but there are still a lot of people buying. You have less competition for that one buyer.

Best time to list, in my market, is end of Feb or early March.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM

211 posts, read 451,128 times
I always get busier with my buyers in February with a huge push in April. I think getting the house ready in January and listing in February is a great idea.
September through December my business gets much slower.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:37 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
It will also depend on the geographical area.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM

223 posts, read 514,530 times
I think the Holidays are a good time to steal one that is lingering a little bit. Estates, Foreclosures, unwanted vacation homes. Some of it may be for tax reasons. I'm amazed at how active the Phoenix market can be in the extreme Summer heat, which is also the low season. Rainy season is a great time to check roofs....

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Each market is different. I have buyers actively looking but few homes are available and they haven't found anything they like. Many sellers wait until spring to list since there tends to be more buyers. But there is also more competition from other sellers.

The best time to list is when you want/need to sell and when you are willing to sell at market price. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
I chart sales in Baltimore, MD and this is what I have found:

Makes it pretty conclusive in my opinion. Yes I know I need to update it.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Usually December is a "slow" month in Real Estate in the Triangle/Wake County area of NC. However, this month has been CRAZY! So many of the agents at my office have had multiple closings.

I had 4 listings that sold...one in 8 days and one in less than 2 weeks. There seems to be low inventory right now so if a home is priced right, in good condition and a decent location, it sells.

I took clients to a new home community in Apex and they had 14 homes that sold this month. I took clients to a new home community in the Morrisville/Cary area and they had 8 homes sell in the last 2 weeks!!!

When my clients ask me if they should list their home this time of year, I tell them that if they don't list now, I can guarantee their house won't sell!

Typically, inventory increases and sales of homes increase in Febuary.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
November/December are good times to list here, because we have more people here in the winter months. It's high season for everything not just vacation rentals and boat rides. Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate