Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am seeing a lot of gated communities pop up here and there. Beside the lack of privacy, ones around here are on less than acre of land, are there any other disadvantages or advantages only someone who is living in one would come to realize. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
Disadvantages- no privacy, HOA fees, and having to abide by sometimes very strict neighborhood code(s).

Advantage-bragging rights (?) and (false) sense of security.

I am not a big fan of gated communities, as you can probably tell....

Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
Another Disadvantage:

The streets are no longer public streets. That means you, along with your neighbors, are responsible for their care and maintenance. It also might mean "special assesments" if your HOA hasn't managed their money properly.

It also means that your HOA, and ultimately you as a member of the HOA, are liable for any injuries and deaths on those streets. The big pockets of the city coffers will not be available to pay for the injury.

Further, if some creative lawyer can attach some quality of the roadway to the injury or death of his client, big $$$ come to mind. Your HOA insurance policy, and ultimatley you will be paying for th deferred maintenance that created the pothole in the street.

Oh yes, what about HOA fee limits? Is there a limitation on how much they can be raised each year? I have yet to see such a limitation written in the CCR docs. If there isn't any limit, it's conceivable that you monthly fees could skyrocket at any time, for any reason, such as when your HOA gets sued.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
Here in Southern California, HOA fees can be increasead a maximum of 20% per year, without a majority of a vote. It's all up to the Board. Special Assessments, however, have to have a 51% vote. I would never live in an HOA.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:11 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
Never thought of these disadvantages. The community we want to buy in is not gated, and we thought that would be bad. But keep those disadvantages coming!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
You can have an HOA in a gated community or non-gated.

I like the fact of an HOA because I wouldn't want someone parking their fishing boat in their driveway next to my house or painting their house pink. How well run/involved an HOA is makes a huge difference also. I really like our subdivision HOA. I feel for the dues we pay, its well worth it.

Different strokes for different folks....

Old 10-16-2007, 07:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Another Disadvantage:

The streets are no longer public streets. That means you, along with your neighbors, are responsible for their care and maintenance. It also might mean "special assesments" if your HOA hasn't managed their money properly.
How about some advantages:

Those private streets? The members of the HOA can "close" them for their own community parties. I live in a guard gated community. 3 times a year we have a community "block" party - we have to ask no cities permission - it is wonderful.

Maintenance? Yep - we are responsible. That is why we have a reserve for such things.

Access? There is controlled access to our community - we do not get people simply driving through. No "Lookie Lous" Makes the community safer and quieter

HOA fees? Our community has not raised the monthy fee in 6 years. And, we may not have to for a while. Very well managed

Liability? Yes that could be an issue. But, that is what insurance is for

Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
Quote:
I like the fact of an HOA because I wouldn't want someone parking their fishing boat in their driveway next to my house or painting their house pink. How well run/involved an HOA is makes a huge difference also. I really like our subdivision HOA. I feel for the dues we pay, its well worth it.
In our subdivision, these are called restrictive covenants..basically outlines what you can and cannot do-without having to pay a HOA fee....

Another disadvantage is homeowners can be fined heavily for the smallest infraction(s).

Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
In our subdivision, these are called restrictive covenants..basically outlines what you can and cannot do-without having to pay a HOA fee....

Another disadvantage is homeowners can be fined heavily for the smallest infraction(s).

Well, fees are a totally different matter. Like I stated I am satisfied for what I get for the yearly dues I pay.

I guess technically you can be fined for small infractions in certain subdivisions, but I think that is the rare exception rather than the norm (just because of what I've seen w/our HOA).

Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Actually - "restrictive covenants" are also known as deed restrictions. AND, to have an HOA, you need Deed restrictions. And, I would bet, that in your subdivision, which you indicate has no hoa fee, there is an HOA - if for nothing else, to ENFORCE those "restrictive covenants"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate