Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 PM

40 posts, read 84,217 times

Advertisements

Looking at an Atlanta opportunity to purchase a legal boarding house complex which nets about $16k/mo derived from rent and the managers base salary (as owner) with staff in place. This track record has been steady for a couple years and the future for the complex looks like net income will continue to slowly increase. Maybe 1/3 of net is management salary and 2/3 is from the rentals, what would you guess is the FMV (fair purchase price) of this property/management arrangement? Owning the units would mean being manager as well (although existing staff doesn't need a full time manager).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning11 View Post
Looking at an Atlanta opportunity to purchase a legal boarding house complex
nets about $16k/mo derived from rent and the managers base salary (as owner) with staff in place.
Stop right there. NEVER co-mingle operating profits with owner compensation.
(Even if the owner is taking some salary out of the business.)

Quote:
Owning the units would mean being manager as well
(although existing staff doesn't need a full time manager).
aka known as "buying someone a job"

In the absence of the owner being on premises (24/7?) ...
what is the fair market value to employ genuinely qualified people to make up for that?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,135,858 times
If your NOI is 192,000 per year, dependent upon your aversion to risk, general market factors unique to Atlanta (I know nothing of the area), among others, then at a generally risk averse 10 cap, you're looking at about 1.92M.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
You can betcha that a bunch of expenses have been left off the listing. You will find that the genuine profit is a heck of a lot less than that.

I've looked at dozens of listings that the agent claimed were CAP 10 and were actually negative cash flow because they listed all the income and very few of the expenses.

Just hearing about your rooming house makes me queasy. Boarding houses don't make $16,000 a month. Someone is not being honest with you.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,135,858 times
I based it off the numbers I was given. Now paying almost 2M for a boarding house is insane IMO but since he's asking, I offered.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,100 times
Try to find out all of the expenses. If you can't try to find data to make reasonable assumptions. Then find out the local average cap rate on similar types of property and you can calculate an approximate value from that.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 PM

40 posts, read 84,217 times
Thank you davecj and shampoobanana for what sounds like a seasoned commercial real estate brokers advice! I have completed the appropriate due diligence and just have to decide what is a fair cap rate based upon similar property sales and my perceived risk factor factor! The income/expenses and net have been verified for this unique property. Not sure if i will try to place under contract, but wanted to investigate this opportunity.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times
I'm not in Real Estate, but I know valuations.

I would model out the expected revenue and cash flows for a ~5 year period (assuming some vacancies, repairs, and other operating expenses). I would get that info from a commercial realtor and other owners of commercial properties. Then, I would do a standard DCF model (with a terminal value) using a range of rates of returns to calculate the NPV, which would be the max I'd be willing to pay.

You may even be able to get somebody's excel template from a google search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate