Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Lets say that the deal is for a 6% commision and you split that and get your 2% of the deal after paying your broker. Maybe the thing to do is sell higher end homes then. I know several people that only deal in high end homes. The people that buy these homes have high end cars. If I am buying a home and have an E class Mercedes I may want to be in the company of someone that knows what I want out of life and can understand my lifestyle. I doubt that I would even be in the business to sell $300,000 homes. Figure that it would be just as much work to sell a $3,000,000 home and chances are the buyers for that end of the market have either cash, financing, and are ready to move on the deal.

I do know a realtor that has made a career out of selling forclosure properties and high end homes. He has been in the business for 30 or so years and drives a Chevy pickup. Now he does seem to buy a new truck every 3 or 4 years. He may even lease them, I don't know. He also has a late model Volvo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
and have an E class Mercedes
Darn, I can only afford a B- class Mercedes.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
If my financial planner drove a Bentley one day and an Aston Martin the next day, then I may begin to question if he's living high off of my money, and may disappear one day.

If he is driving a pickup, then I may question if he is successful.

If my Realtor came in a pickup without AC in Phoenix in the 120 degree August heat to drive me to see homes, then I may begin to question if I picked the right Realtor. (That's ok Mr. Realtor, I'll meet you at the property)

This discussion is fun. I have a 97 Ford van that I use for my rehab work. I have an appointment with a buyer at 4:30. Maybe just for fun, I'll go pick him up in that van to see his reaction

Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM

223 posts, read 514,731 times
The realtor with the Honda 125 motorbike, was an ERA agent. They did bring out the Land Cruiser for my second look, but after I signed it was Tuk-Tuks and motorbikes. If you saw this lady, you too, would have enjoyed the motorbike ride. My attorney gave me a ride to the land office, she was even better looking than the Realtor; half Indian/half Chinese. She told me she splurged and bought the Honda Civic with the 1.5 liter, because the 1.3 liter didn't have enough zoom.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
You must all know two things:
1. That buyers HATE when you take them to properties over their budget.
2. That buyers care about the House and not your car: on the flip side sellers care about Selling their house and not what vehicle u drive!!!!!!
Thanks for clarifying this! I had NO idea!

In this day and age, I'd say 99% of my buyers choose the houses they want to see. They do their searches and I do mine. We compare notes...most likely have the same listings. They choose what they want to see so I NEVER take them to properties over their budget.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If my financial planner drove a Bentley one day and an Aston Martin the next day, then I may begin to question if he's living high off of my money, and may disappear one day.

If he is driving a pickup, then I may question if he is successful.

If my Realtor came in a pickup without AC in Phoenix in the 120 degree August heat to drive me to see homes, then I may begin to question if I picked the right Realtor. (That's ok Mr. Realtor, I'll meet you at the property)

This discussion is fun. I have a 97 Ford van that I use for my rehab work. I have an appointment with a buyer at 4:30. Maybe just for fun, I'll go pick him up in that van to see his reaction
That is FUNNY that you said this...years ago when my oldest was a baby...

We called an Agent to see a few homes. He offered to pick us up at our home. He showed up in a very old car WITHOUT air conditioning. I have to tell you that I am very hot natured. I sat in the back with my son and hubby sat in the front. After 2 houses, son (who was about a year old then) was sweaty with bright red cheeks. At that time, I SUGGESTED that Agent take us back to our car and we'd drive our car to see the other houses.

Kinda scared me a bit when Agent said he didn't have the funds to fix the A/C!

No A/C in a car in this area (NC) in July?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
No A/C in a car in this area (NC) in July?
I have a trick to motivate buyers in the summer. The more homes we see I start turning up the thermostat in the car. After awhile it sweats them out and they want to get it over ASAP.

No AC means a highly motivated buyer.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM

223 posts, read 523,760 times
Our Realtor was driving a 1999 Toyota 4Runner and had just sold a $700k house before we bought our house. He seemed to be doing well and he didn't have the typical flashy car that LA Realtors drive. I didn't see it as a negative.

I have my own engineering business and this reminds me of a conversation I had with my partner on whether it was a positive or negative to take my 1995 Porsche Carrera to job sites. At the end I didn't care and we always drove in my car to job sites. After the car was stolen a couple of years ago I now have no issues taking my Honda S2000.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
If you owned a restaurant, would you let people sit on folding chairs and junky WAL*MART card tables to experience what you were serving for dinner?

My clients will be treated like kings and queens and with lots of respect given to the investment they are about to make.
I'll rent a Rolls if that will make them more comfortable.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a trick to motivate buyers in the summer. The more homes we see I start turning up the thermostat in the car. After awhile it sweats them out and they want to get it over ASAP.

No AC means a highly motivated buyer.
We had that happen to us in Florida. And it worked . . . We were highly motivated to use another agency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate