U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,770,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
You can keep on living there for about a year without paying the mortgage! That's right, $0.00 per month. When they call you crying for money just tell them your sob story, but never actually send them any more money. Yes, you will eventually be foreclosed on, but in the meantime you just saved a whole year's living expenses!! I have done this. This is the common man's bailout!
Are you freaking kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 06:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,301,830 times
Every city and town has pet-friendly apartments. Contact a Real Estate Agent to help you locate such places. Check your local papers. Check RE on Craigslist for your city. Move in with a friend or relative until you find a place.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 AM

51,065 posts, read 50,357,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Every city and town has pet-friendly apartments. Contact a Real Estate Agent to help you locate such places. Check your local papers. Check RE on Craigslist for your city. Move in with a friend or relative until you find a place.
Do they even HAVE Craigslist in Australia? Honest question.

But it's not necessarily true that every city and town has pet-friendly apartments. In NJ, especially northern NJ where the rental situation is competitive, it is very, very, difficult to find pet-friendly apartment complexes. They are few and far between. Trust me on this one--I was searching for places to live with my cats just a couple of years ago, and 99% of places say "NO PETS", always in capital letters.

Knowing that, and needing an apartment while I searched for a condo to buy, I placed my own ad on Craigslist after rifling through listing after listing of "no pet" rentals. I said I needed two bedrooms, was willing to pay XYZ, needed a month-to-month rental while I searched for a condo, and that I had four cats. I just put it out there wondering if I would get any bites--I got THREE, all private owners. Ended up renting an apartment for the next nine months from a landlord who also had four cats.

Bizarrely, I did buy a condo adjacent to an apartment complex that is pet-friendly. Again, most commercial garden-type apartments do not permit pets. It's the exception rather than the rule when they do.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,237,722 times
Talk about a drive by. Not sure what exactly the OP was looking for.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,531,803 times
You are going to be homeless? Get rid of the cats that will also be homeless. If you can't house yourself, how do you intend to house the cats? They are not children, which would be easier to house as most places still take children in a rental situation.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:09 PM

8,222 posts, read 9,961,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Due to health problems, I can no longer afford to live in my own home.

I can rent it out and (nearly) cover costs, so I get to keep ownership, and I have tenants moving in on 11 January.

This means I have literally nowhere to go.

Complicating issues are my 3 cats who I am very attached to - most rentals here do not allow animals.

I have lived in my home for 20 years and am virtually walking away penniless.

'Keeping home ownership' has little meaning unless one has some equity in the property. If that is the case, then you have a resource that can be trapped through refinancing. If you have no home equity and no money, then moving-out and renting your home, in order to 'keep ownership' ... yet, having no place to go yourself --- sounds irrational.

Also, you say that 'due to health problems, you can no longer afford to live in your own home.' Does that mean you have new health issues and have lost your job or are paying so much in health costs, you can't afford your housing costs' ... or something else?

Additionally, how can you 'virtually walk away penniless', yet, still afford to rent another place, plus make all the necessary deposits and physically move ...(providing you can find one that will accept your cats)?

It sounds like you are facing a very difficult situation, but, that either you haven't really thought-out the alternatives ...and/or that you are being less than forthcoming in your post. What is really going on?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,103,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
You can keep on living there for about a year without paying the mortgage! That's right, $0.00 per month. When they call you crying for money just tell them your sob story, but never actually send them any more money. Yes, you will eventually be foreclosed on, but in the meantime you just saved a whole year's living expenses!! I have done this. This is the common man's bailout!
Garbage like this is part of the reason real estate has been so far down recently. You're not only affecting yourself, you're also affecting ALL of your neighbors negatively. What happened to personal responsibility?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:08 PM

9,167 posts, read 10,096,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You are going to be homeless? Get rid of the cats that will also be homeless. If you can't house yourself, how do you intend to house the cats? They are not children, which would be easier to house as most places still take children in a rental situation.
There is no way I'd ever abandon my pets. I'd rather die with then than live without them. Animals never act with malice and unlike humans are only capable of unconditional love. I believe the OP understands this.

To the OP: cancel or break the contract if you can't find a place by Jan. 11. Tenants seldom have the means to hire lawyers. Find a new place that you can afford before you lease your present home.

As a landlord myself, I must mention that I take pets but do my best to avoid children.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 AM

216 posts, read 400,416 times
I started a thread a few years ago about cheapest living solutions, Cheapest possible living suggestions!

Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,531,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There is no way I'd ever abandon my pets. I'd rather die with then than live without them. Animals never act with malice and unlike humans are only capable of unconditional love. I believe the OP understands this.

To the OP: cancel or break the contract if you can't find a place by Jan. 11. Tenants seldom have the means to hire lawyers. Find a new place that you can afford before you lease your present home.

As a landlord myself, I must mention that I take pets but do my best to avoid children.
You don't see it as being in the best interest of the pets to get rid of them? Would't it be better to have them living in a home somewhere than to be living on the street? I have seen homeless people with dogs and it always amazes me that they don't have the money to buy themselves food but will place an animal in the same situation. It's just not humane to ask that of an animal.

You may take pets if you wish but unless you have an age restricted rental you can not say no to people with children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate