Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
Maybe you are right, BUT what Zillow relies on is homeowners make 1 or 2 posts expressing their anger at nonsense Zestimates imposed on their home and then they disappear never to be heard of again. Consequently Zillow keep repeating the erroneous Zestimate and wait for the next outburst knowing that the complainer will go away and all will be forgotten. If homeowners kept the pressure on Zillow and reiterated the deficiencies of Zestimates then sooner or later Zillow would have to bow to the massive negative publicity and change how they impose Zestimates.
Truth is, Zillow could care less what you as a homeowner thinks of their Zestimates, you are not a factor in their business decisions. Zillow’s target audience is BUYERS. The primary and majority of people who visit their site are Buyers. Buyers love the lower zestimates. So long as buyers are flocking to the website, so long as they are not complaining about zestimates, Zillow has no reason to change the process. Yes, they will always be looking at improving their website, but to the extent they will invest huge sums to please some seller, no way!

So, no matter how much you whine, moan, groan and complain, what you want is meaningless to them. Might as well get over the fixation or you’re going to work yourself right into the looney bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Zillow estimates mean nothing so why would you waste any time or effort trying to change it?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. People (prospective sellers) care about Zestimates because idiots (prospective buyers) sometimes base their offer on that figure.

2. People (homeowners) care about Zestimates because they feel insulted by the low number.
Why would anyone care what a inaccurate meaningless home value number means. I think your person value in terms of kegaltrons is only a 0.5. Would you like me to raise that? If so please prepare a 100 page report explaining why.

That's a madeup word that means nothing, I doubt you'll write that essay I requested so why care about a zestimate.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
How much do consumers pay for the "Zestimate" on their home ?? Oh, that's right, they didn't pay anything for it and it's worth every penny spent.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
my home's zestimate is way too high...probably around 50% too high. i guess i should just keep quiet?

i paid around 1.1m a little over a year ago and zestimate says that my house is worth 1.8m now. it's probably worth something like 1.2 (1.4m max).

Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 AM

173 posts, read 2,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
How much do consumers pay for the "Zestimate" on their home ?? Oh, that's right, they didn't pay anything for it and it's worth every penny spent.
The saying "when the product is free you are the product" comes to mind. Zillow needs inaccurate Zestimates to generate controversy to bring users to their website and increase revenues and time has come for this racket to be regulated to protect homeowners interests..

Old 11-03-2014, 07:03 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I think there are now about a half dozen of more free "calculators" that a buyer can use to estimate the value, so I don't see what you gain from protesting one. My impression is that that tend to give a range anyway. Some are too high, others too low, but if you average about 5 or so, you tend to get the general target. What you actually get for the house is the real value.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:56 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
and time has come for this racket to be regulated to protect homeowners interests..
Please stop as you wasting valuable electrons here in this forum.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
The Zillow issue is due more to the UNINFORMED buyers who think the zestimate is like Blue Book, which gives a fairly accurate estimate of auto values. These buyers annoy the crap out of agents and FSBO sellers. My houses zestimate is definitely whacked because my neighbors house sold a few months ago for MORE than my houses "zestimate" and it has less squ footage, less yard, no pool, and 1 less bedroom. The houses within a mile of mine are all selling for more than they did in the recession, yet according to Zillow my house is worth LESS than what I paid for it a year ago? Negative.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:02 PM

173 posts, read 2,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The Zillow issue is due more to the UNINFORMED buyers who think the zestimate is like Blue Book, which gives a fairly accurate estimate of auto values. These buyers annoy the crap out of agents and FSBO sellers. My houses zestimate is definitely whacked because my neighbors house sold a few months ago for MORE than my houses "zestimate" and it has less squ footage, less yard, no pool, and 1 less bedroom. The houses within a mile of mine are all selling for more than they did in the recession, yet according to Zillow my house is worth LESS than what I paid for it a year ago? Negative.
I haven't been on City Data for a few months and your comments sum up exactly the problem with Zillow. It beggars belief how they get away with imposing nonsense inaccurate home valuations the way they do and refuse ALL reasonable requests by homeowners to correct or delete the erroneous Zestimate. What has Zillow to lose by correcting inaccurate Zestimates when the errors are brought to their attention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate