Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,964,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The average home price in my city is $149,000 and I think Brandon's is similar. I think some people are really bad at math and don't realize that being an "active" agent is likely costing them money.
That's correct. And the numbers I quoted are all agents including retirees, hobbyists, and part-timers. There is a significant difference between those types the full time career agents that do it to earn a living in both income and skill. That's why "average income" for agents is a such a hard number to quantify. There are some agents that won't close a single deal and the top dog in my market will probably close around 300 deals this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM

15,567 posts, read 40,394,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
That's correct. And the numbers I quoted are all agents including retirees, hobbyists, and part-timers. There is a significant difference between those types the full time career agents that do it to earn a living in both income and skill. That's why "average income" for agents is a such a hard number to quantify. There are some agents that won't close a single deal and the top dog in my market will probably close around 300 deals this year.
Last year the top agent did 211. All of the top 10 here are REO/HUD agents, except for one who is a new construction agent.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
It's such an odd profession, to me. Really hard to grasp what realistic expectations are.

According to an article I read, many agents only sell 4 to 7 homes a year. This doesn't translate to very much money, in my mind.
many agents WISH they sold 4-7 homes a year, unless those 4-7 are all $1MM+.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM

37 posts, read 63,104 times
I agree with Brandon H. There are a lot of real estate agents making less than $20k a year. Real estate is a very tricky field. It is also attractive because you can make a lot of money with less education per income earned. With that attraction many people enter into the RE world expecting to make a lot of money.

The facts are: Real estate is very hard to break into and become successful without these factors:

1. Good {office reputation - broker - training - support - commission split / office fee ratio}
2. Joining associations National Association of Realtors® and others.
3. Supra - Lock box - etc.
4. A small budget at least $150-300 mo. for various fees and marketing
5. Excellent - sales, customer service, follow-up, and negotiation skills. At least have 2 of the 4 qualities.
6. Image and professionalism.
7. Established network of people - family, friends, co-workers, etc. (who like and trust you.)

There are others anyone can add. My point is real estate is harder than most real estate agents think.

It would be easier to focus on a niche market when first starting out also. Become a buyer's agent. Finding someone looking to buy a home can be easier than finding someone to list their home because of the investment they've already made when they first bought their home. The emotions attached and what they went through to maintain it. They would be more looking for a more seasoned agent they feel they can trust to list their home. Home buyers on the other hand are scared and apprehensive in the whole home buying process are looking for someone who will take the time with them to sort out their difficulties and will take more risks by doing less research on agents which is good for buyer's agents.

Hope I helped.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM

896 posts, read 1,475,646 times
The average agent in my area makes 50k per year.

Fortunately every single agent we have is above average. They all told me so.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,991,831 times
There are an amazing number of very part time agents that bring down the average commission number.

In our office of 65 agents, we see the same 20 at all the office meetings, working deals, going on the agent tours, etc. Another 2-3 have full time jobs so we see them on the weekends but they are clearly working. The rest do a couple deals a year for their friends/family members. But with an average home price of $450K in my suburb, just a couple deals a year do cover costs as well as bring in some extra cash. We also have a couple agents that are strictly investors and don't have a separate client base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate