Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,369,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

And why whenever I see that I want to eliminate all those differences.
50 different sets of rules on every topic imaginable. An absurdity.

Eliminate "all those differences"? A very slippery slope. I believe I'll continue to keep State's rights thank-you-very-much! People can do their homework and make themselves educated when they do business in another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,202,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
What kind of an idiot would divulge that information to children? Not only her children but her kids' friends. What purpose did that serve ? Some people have cotton candy in the space where a brain should be.
She did not divulge it, her kid's friends did.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,624,405 times
Can you imagine all the people who had sex in your house? In the same bedroom? Should that be disclosed as well?

How people acted or what people did inside the house, has nothing to do with the condition of the house and does not need to be disclosed. If you want a house with no history, buy a new house.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,850,256 times
There is an old saying that a house is not a home until a birth, a wedding, and a funeral have taken place within its walls. Obviously, few of the above take place at home nowadays, but there's still more than a bit of truth to this old belief.

Anyone purchasing an older house (as in pre-1920) should be aware that it is quite likely that any or all of the three once took place in it.

As for recent tragedies such as that described by the OP, local residents would know - however, newcomers to the community would be unlikely to know unless disclosure is made, whether voluntarily or by requirement. It's never a bad idea to talk with your prospective neighbors when considering property in a new-to-you community.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,294,355 times
It would probably have been a good idea to disclose, because there are some people who have weird ideas that if something happened in a house that makes the house itself undesirable and in case you get a buyer who is both one of that kind AND sue happy you've covered yourself. There will always be plenty of buyers who realize that the house didn't cause the problem, and also those who, if they think the house is somehow tainted, can simply smudge it or whatever ritual clears it in their customs.

In Texas, the law is quite reasonably that if the death was caused or potentially caused by the house (fell down stairs and broke their neck, say, or something equally attributable to construction issues), it is required to be disclosed. If not, if it was caused by illness or by the actions of a human being (murder or suicide), it is not required to be disclosed.

Anyone buying a house over a certain age should assume that someone died in it, by the way, as stated above. In times past, they didn't compartmentalize life and death as much as we try to do, and birth, life, and death often happened in homes.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,918,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It would probably have been a good idea to disclose, because there are some people who have weird ideas that if something happened in a house that makes the house itself undesirable and in case you get a buyer who is both one of that kind AND sue happy you've covered yourself. There will always be plenty of buyers who realize that the house didn't cause the problem, and also those who, if they think the house is somehow tainted, can simply smudge it or whatever ritual clears it in their customs.

In Texas, the law is quite reasonably that if the death was caused or potentially caused by the house (fell down stairs and broke their neck, say, or something equally attributable to construction issues), it is required to be disclosed. If not, if it was caused by illness or by the actions of a human being (murder or suicide), it is not required to be disclosed.

Anyone buying a house over a certain age should assume that someone died in it, by the way, as stated above. In times past, they didn't compartmentalize life and death as much as we try to do, and birth, life, and death often happened in homes.
I have always gotten the "feel" of a house when looking to rent or buy. Some houses feel bad; others give off a comforting vibe. If you've never experienced it, it is very hard to explain. When I asked my sister about the feelings she experienced while accompanying me in house hunting, she told me she never felt anything about a house. I suppose some people are more sensitive to the energy of a place than others. A normal death in a house shouldn't create any problems, but a murder/suicide is loaded with negative energy. Not everyone will be affected by it, but some people will. I'd want to know if something that horrific happened in a house I was considering buying.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,707,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
A normal death in a house shouldn't create any problems...
...nor create any need for specific notice let alone any sort of formal disclosure.

Quote:
but a murder/suicide is...
Is something completely different. The terms notorious and heinous come to mind.

Quote:
I'd want to know if something that horrific happened in a house I was considering buying.
Which is the bottom line point and well with the "reasonable expectation" for anyone who lives
and works in the area to a) know about and b) mention in one form or another. This is especially so
if the person who knows something wants to assert that they represent the buyers interest.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,204,483 times
California requires disclosure if someone died in the house within the last three years. Yes, death is a big deal. I find it pure insanity that people do not think it should be disclosed.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM

270 posts, read 702,263 times
I would call the Ghost Adventures crews over before making any decisions.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,294,355 times
aquietpath, I actually know exactly what you're talking about. However, I also know (because of some of the paths I've followed) that such can in almost every case be dispelled with the appropriate practices (and maybe some feng shui if there's truly something about the house or its placement that is causing the feeling).

Because of this, I know that if someone is particularly sensitive to such things, they would notice it immediately upon or shortly after entering the house, as you say you yourself do, and would most likely not purchase it, never mind live in it for some time and only feel that it was an issue once they were told about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate