Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM

22 posts, read 27,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
It probably is not a good idea to be quite so specific about all your issues online or to people other than close friends and family. It can make it easy to identify who you are. Especially when you have an active lawsuit stemming from your accident. You might want to check out the website Neurotalk. It will have a forum or forums with people that have similar health concerns.

It is more understandable how all of this dragged on, now that you've revealed so much personal background. It would likely be a really good idea to have a family member (or have SS provide someone) to manage your finances if they're not already doing so. You are pretty vulnerable right now, and another responsible adult providing guidance about major financial decisions would make sense.
I'm quite capable of my finances alone and I am 'normal' enough to not qualify for someone to control my fiances.

I have decent credit, held a full time job for years (until the accident) and have repaid every loan I have ever had, personal or not (like student loans)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Just curious... have any of the doctors helped you address the major problem causing all of your health issues? Your weight......

Simply reducing your diet to a 500 per day caloric deficit for your basic daily caloric needs can result in significant weight loss for the obese with just the effort of changing ones eating habits.

Also why would you allow them to place you in a third floor unit, knowing that you were going to be approved for disability and already disabled???

You cannot read apparently. "Genetic heart condition." Key word GENETIC.

Also being hit by a truck at 60 mph didn't help.

Anyhoo to address your query, yes, BEFORE the car accident I had weight loss surgery.

It is scheduled to be removed, due to scarring so severe I cannot drink water without vomiting 90% of it up(on 2 months of this now)

I've lost a significant amount of weight, especially in the last two months.

Unfortunately due to a number of congenital issues and the freaky genetics I can thank my parents for, I have a number of issues that will never be solved that contribute to my disabilities, such as four (yes 4) kinds of spinal deformities/abnormalities that are clearly visible from the out side a nerve issue, and the heart issue.

Unfortunately, losing weight (as I have) will not help those things.

By the way I've eaten under 1000 calories on a high protein low carb diet for 35 months (pre op) and in the last 2 months rarely clear 300 calories per day if I'm lucky.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You are/will be a good candidate for a subsidized USDA direct rural loan btw! You'd need a credit score of 640. Please look into the program. Zero down required. No PMI. An interest rate of 1-2%. And it'll give you a nice small home to call your own. If you continue to rent, eventually you'll qualify for Section 8. It'll be better for your stability and it'll cost the tax payers less if you utilize this program! You might also find down payment assistance locally as well.

Thank you! I have never heard of a rural loan. Looking at the website I am not in a rural are (fort campbell) but near by is!

I do qualify for section 8 in Tennessee, and every where else. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the wait lists to open and the bazillion people already on it to leave the program, so I can receive a voucher.
Section 8 here will assist you in paying your mortgage, actually if you are disabled-- a definite tax payer savings.

Its simply a waiting game for the wait list. I'm told public housing (that I won't move into.. its terribly unsafe here) hasnt opened for 2+ years and its been at least 5 years for Section 8.

I will look into this rural loan, my credit certainly is good enough.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times
It's not an insult to suggest you might need help with your finances. I know a former attorney that's psych doc recommended he have someone in charge of his SSDI due to a neurologic disorder and impulse control issues.

You really haven't accepted how much your life has changed and how your disability impacts things yet. Perhaps having the input of your aid or a family member before you make major life decisions is all you need. This is something to discuss with your doc/s.

I'm just concerned for you. Some of your decisions regarding this housing situation suggest you are very vulnerable. Perhaps having an Omnibudsman you can refer to when engaging in legal matters as an advocate would be something to try.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
It's not an insult to suggest you might need help with your finances. I know a former attorney that's psych doc recommended he have someone in charge of his SSDI due to a neurologic disorder and impulse control issues.

You really haven't accepted how much your life has changed and how your disability impacts things yet. Perhaps having the input of your aid or a family member before you make major life decisions is all you need. This is something to discuss with your doc/s.

I'm just concerned for you. Some of your decisions regarding this housing situation suggest you are very vulnerable. Perhaps having an Omnibudsman you can refer to when engaging in legal matters as an advocate would be something to try.
I do understand. My adoptive mother does do this for me. I'm good with the numbers, but with the aspergers anything social related (like listening to an apartment pitch) I suck at and I know. She lives about 1000 miles away but I call her before doing anything major.

I'm not aware on how to edit out this post, delete it or what have you, so I fear my info is floating on here for good.

How ever I did speak to the corporate office yesterday.
I've managed to record these calls and interactions as of late (which is 100% legal here) and he told me Friday, 'At this point we will not be terminating your lease, as we feel it is not necessary."
After questioning him for almost 9 minutes he said the magic words: "We aren't doing anything illegal by not accommodating you. You are right we are accommodating SOME of your disabilities. We don't have to accommodate any or all of them."

BINGO!

I also found a case that set precedent on this --Samuelson v. Mid-Atlantic Realty Co. Inc in 1996.
HERE

I contacted the DOJ, HUD, Consumer Affairs, and two private attorneys.. at this point I think it is something for the courts to handle.

Thank you for your input, I do not take offense at all!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM

A tenant that knows how to advocate for themeselves, does not discuss serious legal matters. By sending your requests by certified mail, you'll command more respect for your queries. If the letter comes from an attorney all the better.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFG View Post
I do understand. My adoptive mother does do this for me. I'm good with the numbers, but with the aspergers anything social related (like listening to an apartment pitch) I suck at and I know. She lives about 1000 miles away but I call her before doing anything major.

I'm not aware on how to edit out this post, delete it or what have you, so I fear my info is floating on here for good.

How ever I did speak to the corporate office yesterday.
I've managed to record these calls and interactions as of late (which is 100% legal here) and he told me Friday, 'At this point we will not be terminating your lease, as we feel it is not necessary."
After questioning him for almost 9 minutes he said the magic words: "We aren't doing anything illegal by not accommodating you. You are right we are accommodating SOME of your disabilities. We don't have to accommodate any or all of them."

BINGO!

I also found a case that set precedent on this --Samuelson v. Mid-Atlantic Realty Co. Inc in 1996.
HERE

I contacted the DOJ, HUD, Consumer Affairs, and two private attorneys.. at this point I think it is something for the courts to handle.

Thank you for your input, I do not take offense at all!
The problem with the case you cited, is that they are offering you a first floor apartment to accommodate you, which is covered as an example. I would not give them this example--it could really backfire on you.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
The problem with the case you cited, is that they are offering you a first floor apartment to accommodate you, which is covered as an example. I would not give them this example--it could really backfire on you.
Yes, but as ive been trying to limit the information I have put on here.. it is adverse to my health and 'reasonable use and enjoyment of a dwelling' to live in this kind of situation.
I can have my psychologist and psychiatrist back this up, in addition to my primary physician.

Like I said, I'm a mixed bag of disabled and no one thing entitled me to social security-- the combination of ailments did.

I am not citing anything to anyone. I will put in a formal letter, that I request as a reasonable accommodation my lease be terminated. I will ask the attorney to draft and send it for me.

I actually found out that another woman who moved out about three weeks ago had the same issue, almost exactly. They refused to do anything for her, she hired an attorney and they let her leave.

He also said (recorded) that 'right, we do not need any proof of your disabilities or what you are claiming, we believe you in full, but we do not have to accommodate ANY of your disabilities, we are being nice by offering to move you to a first floor now. We CANT just put you in an empty apartment to accommodate your issues." At that point (I was driving) I stopped about 2 inches from hitting a deer on the highway so all i hear is me screaming, but he picks up repeating the same line essentially.

That above case sets the precedent that yes, due to MENTAL health issues, a reasonable accommodation can be termination of a lease. They are unable to offer me a safe and practical remedy, so in *theory* this MAY apply.

Hence why I hired legal counsel.

Thank you all so much, now if any of you could direct me on how to delete this, I'd appreciate it!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 AM

936 posts, read 2,201,660 times
You do realize that your story falls apart when you failed to let your landlord know of your disabilities when you first applied for the unit and signed the lease. The two week period in between the signing and your acknowledgement of your disabilities really makes your case look rather ridiculous, especially when you had pre-existing conditions that should have been diclosed.

Let me give you some real world experience here- The landlord can simply subpeona medical records to prove that these conditions were pre-existing when you failed to notify him of your disability.

Hopefully the landlord will sue you for fraud. Be careful what you ask for.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You cannot delete this thread. It is not our policy to delete long threads.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate