Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM

131 posts, read 452,065 times

Advertisements

we went from a 1500sq ft ranch with a full basement( total 3000sq ft) to a 1200 sq ft ranch with about 800 sq ft basement (total 2000sq ft). I like the smaller space better. I can really clean top to bottom in about 2 hours! Our bills are about 1/2 and we no longer own a storage space for relatives who don't have enough space to keep their crap and so they brought it to us! The first place was about 1000 sq ft too much. We do have to make decisions here...but I like the challenge! I never want to be over run by stuff - mine or others again!
I also was not happy about all the hall ways the first house had. This layout has no hallways so every nook is used! it took having the bigger one to downsizing to realize for us smaller IS better...but if we had children, well I just dont know how families used to do it! I should add! 2 bathrooms! I will never own a house with just 1 bathroom again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach and Tree Lover View Post
I'm only looking at homes built on large lots (builder's 1/2 acre), and most of those are huge, so it's not easy to find a smaller home.
The size is personal preference, however I would suggest having two bathrooms on your wish list.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,249,834 times
This is a personal thing. I lived in 3000 sq ft house before and I loved it. It was just me and DH and I swear it seems like my house stayed much cleaner than our current one, although our utility bill was crazy. Now we live in a 1500 sq ft house and it feels claustrophobic and I hate it. I agree you should visit the house and look at the layout. I've seen some 1200 sq ft houses with 5 bedrooms, a king size bed would have probably take up an entire bedroom so there would be no space for a dresser.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM

504 posts, read 847,572 times
Yeah, echoing the others that have said it's simply a personal thing. For me, the husband and our pets 2bd/2bath ~1000 sq ft works great. Ideally, I'd bump up the footage a bit, keep it at 2bd/2bath but increase the kitchen size, the bathroom sizes and the closet sizes. It helps that it's fairly open with a living/dining great-room combo with a large pass through to the kitchen.

Just really wouldn't want too much more for upkeep purposes.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,221,675 times
I lived on a 45' sailboat with a wife and baby boy. It was very nice. I'd do it again on a similar sized catamaran if I lived in La Paz, MX.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM

17,669 posts, read 29,545,432 times
Default Think and think again

If the market in your area is either a buyers' market or balanced, then you have plenty of time to look and look again. (If it is sellers' market, then you will be unhappy)

1. Location is very important. Good schools increase value. Quiet neighborhood increases value.

2. You cannot easily change your mind. Transaction costs of selling are approximately 7-10%.

3. Layout is more important than sqft. Newer houses will typically have more useable space. But, you can always buy an older home and rearrange the walls. See #1 above.

4. The larger the lot, the more upkeep. The larger the house, the more upkeep.

5. Stay within your budget. Financial health impacts everything.

6. Take pictures and notes. All the houses will begin to blend into a giant swamp in your brain.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The size is personal preference, however I would suggest having two bathrooms on your wish list.
I agree. 2 Bathrooms was a MUST for our forever home as it makes it easier when we have guests (and for as our family grows). We ended up with 3 (a 3rd in the finished basement area) but 2 was definitely our minimum requirement!

P.S. I just saw that the OP later mentioned that they were looking for 0.5 acre plus. Our house is on 0.5 acre and change, yet we still got a suburban, modestly sized house- so they're definitely out there!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,824,865 times
Davebarnes: it won't let me rep you again but you made EXCELLENT points all round. Especially the suggestion of taking photos of each property!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM

18,748 posts, read 11,708,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have two close relatives that have homes that are 11K and 14K sq ft respectively. Both are homes to a married couple, one has a couple dogs. Both homes are for sale (9mm and 3mm), both are looking to downsize to something more manageable like 5,000.....

Actually the cost to own is killing them, taxes/insurance/upkeep.....they no longer want to commit the time/resources to the homes.
You can buy a house for under 15k??? What state are you in. I'll go buy a few and turn them into rentals.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,545,432 times
Default Uh, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You can buy a house for under 15k??? What state are you in. I'll go buy a few and turn them into rentals.
He wrote that the SIZE of the house was 15000 sqft and the price was $9M USD.
However, read about Willow Tufano buying houses in Florida for $12K.
Florida Teen Willow Tufano Buys Second Home - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate