Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times

Advertisements

Depending on your needs, you can be perfectly happy in a small house, with smaller rooms. Think about how you really want to use the space and determine how many separate areas you would want.

Many houses have formal living rooms and dining rooms that are seldom used. But if you like to entertain a lot, they will really come in handy. Same for the kitchen. If you eat out a lot or just heat up meals, your kitchen can be tiny. But if you love to spend lots of time cooking and baking, you'll appreciate all the space and storage.

As for bedrooms, all a couple really needs is a master bedroom and a guest room. But if you both have out-of-town relatives who often visit, several guest rooms would be nice. Same for hobby rooms/offices/libraries/dens. Depending on the layout of the house, you may not need a whole room dedicated to an office or hobby if a nook or basement will do.

As a single person, I moved from a 6-room 1,200 sq ft row house, to a 6.5-room 1,700 sq ft cape cod. The larger house gave me a much larger yard, tons of storage, 2 more bathrooms, and 1 more garage than the smaller one. I don't use all of it, and the utilities are MUCH higher than the smaller house. But that extra space makes such a difference to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It's not about a number, it's about the layout and how the sqft it used.
That is a great answer.

Depending upon your desires to entertain, how often you do, and what type of living arrangements you have, the answer will be quite complex.

I have lived in houses ranging from 800 to over 3000 as a couple with no kids. Lifestyle changes with stages in life. Younger folks just need a roof over their head. Retirees are the same. It changes in the middle range by great variability.

Will you have overnight guests on occasions? An additional space is helpful.

Do you have many parties? Do you want a great room or formal living room and den?

If you're limited in mobility, then a single level is ideal. At least have a split level where most living can be accomplished on one floor.

Do you need a dedicated laundry room?

Do you need closet space?

What hobbies do you enjoy?
Do you require an art studio, home office, hobby shop, bicycle repair shop, ammo reloading, storage, etc?

How often do you entertain?
Do you need a wide and open floor plan to entertaining?
Do you need a large kitchen with a large island?
Eat in kitchen, plus formal dining room?

Home office because you work from home?
Does your partner need a home office?

Do you need separate bedrooms?
Do they each need their own bathrooms?

Home gym? Recreation room? Home theater?

Bedroom requirements. Do you want a place to relax or just sleep? Does it need a sitting area?

How many garage spaces do you need? That will influence house size. More garage space will lead to a bigger and bigger home. 1 car garage can range from 1200 to 2000 sq feet, 1.5 car can range from 1800 to 2500 sq feet, 2 car can range from 1200 to 4000/5000+, but a 3 car garage can range from a 2000 to crazy sized houses unimaginable, as a broad generality, of course.

In general, it boils down to needs, wants and budget.

Buy what you need and budget for a little growth or modification. This is so you don't need to buy something else and lose money from the transaction of buying, selling, and buying, again.

Last edited by titaniummd; 02-10-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Some of the humongous houses mentioned would be a nightmare to me. Hiring dependable help would be a problem. Heating and cooling costs would be beyond the pale and taxes would be way up there. Even if I could afford it, no thanks.
I agree. I have been surprised to find most of the responses in this thread to be from the ultra-rich, talking about 4,000 and 5,000 sq. ft. houses. I live alone in a two-bedroom plus loft, two and a half bath townhouse of about 1500 sq. ft. I have plenty of room to rattle around in, which is the way I like it, and I have hosted house guests in the spare bedroom (which has its own separate full bath) several times, and that has worked out fine.

It seems to me the OP is asking a purely financial question. If you can afford it, no house is too big. If you are rich, you can pay someone else to clean it, and you don't have to worry about utility costs.

I agree with others in this thread about "needing" more than one bathroom, but I think you would have to go back to a house built in the 1950's or before to find one with only a single bathroom. Even normal people are now used to having more than one bathroom - that is no longer the province of the rich. When I was growing up in the 1950's our family of four (dad, mom, and two kids) shared one single bathroom, and that was not unusual back then. But standards of living have risen, and no-one would want to put up with that today.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Wife and I downsized from 2400sq ft to 1500sq ft. Open floor plan, cathederal ceilings, 3 bedrooms (one used as office), two baths. I miss two things. My own shower stall (the shower is now in her jetted garden tub) and the 2nd car garage.

We are very comfortable in 1500sq ft.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM

48 posts, read 180,079 times
Thanks guys for the replies. Me and my fiancee decided we are targeting about 1700-2000 square feet and a 14-20K lot size. I really appreciate all of your replies and advice! For me, a huge house would be a nightmare, taxes, A/C, and cleaning it..yuck!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach and Tree Lover View Post
Only me and my partner will be living in the house and are first time home buyers. I was targeting a house that's 1900-2000 square feet. I already rejected a house that is 2,500 square feet because it seemed way too big for 2 people. A house just came up that is 2,250 square feet. Should I pass on this house or ask my real estate agent for a showing? I'm not sure if it would be too big. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Whatever square footage of the home is TOO big for whomever is buying or building the home. Some require lots of space others do not. It is a decision that has to be made only by those involved no matter what anyone else thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate