U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM

747 posts, read 1,570,578 times

Advertisements

We live in a nice neighborhood in a fairly good part of town, trouble is with our neighbors next door (they live in the adjoining house, it is a rowhome) who complain and gripe about everything. The vice president of the HOA called tonight and said we didn't take good care of our dogs. Helllo, it has been cold some nights and we try to bring the dogs in. One of the dogs is shaggy haired and doesn't mind the cold. They also have a doghouse to sleep in. In Georgia it never gets that cold anyway. Then Im told there is trash in our backyard which I could swear I cleaned up last week. Lastly they have beef with my husband's music and video viewing. He does have a set of subwoofers and they are a little loud, but not THAT loud. Also his computer where he listens to music does NOT face the adjoining wall. HEL-LO! The walls are pretty soundproof. I don't hear a peep next door ( i.e. people talking) and I know there are firewalls built in. I may call the builder tommorrow and ask just out of curiousity. So the neighbors call the po-po's on us one night and they ask hubby to turn it down. He doesn't get a ticket, but it's like we're in the red zone now. The thing I don't understand is why do our neighbors refuse to communicate with use regarding their gripes? Why is it always run to the popos, call the HOA, anything but dealing with us directly? Is this the norm now? Just come talk to us, don't call the popos! we don't bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,931,243 times
When the over zealous neighbors call the police, they are: 1. wasting valuable resources and 2. a community that constantly or occasionally have a police car in the area, in your specific HOA is unappealing for anyone looking to buy or sell a unit.

Spend a little and get your DH some high quality headphones for music.

Have an open house and invite all of your neighbors. They'll meet you and your pets and those that have noses in the air will eventually get the word that all is well with your unit. Unless your mostly-outside pet barks enough to disturb after 10pm, there should be no problem.

Attend your HOA meetings and get involved. If you are truly concerned about your investment and the community, let them know you are committed to making the entire neighborhood a better and comfortable place to be.

Damn those humans that don't understand pets. And damn crap neighbors... just make sure you're sure not in the second category.

To add: we have a condo as an investment property and will sell soon based on the HOA witches on brooms. We also have a real estate agent living in a nearby condo that deals with the tenants and HOA and he is our designated proxy voter for HOA votes because we simply don't have time. When we lived there, we were more active in the whole HOA thing and I speak from experience, bringing baked goods to a meeting is highly recommended.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 02-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,015,500 times
I do think the first thing a neighbor should do is ring your doorbell and discuss the issue.

But you might knock on their door to discuss it with them. Show that you're trying to understand their position and that you care. Perhaps get your subwoofers or music going at the normal volume and ask if you can come into their house to hear what it sounds like. It might be much louder than you think, especially if the bass is vibrating the walls. I know I have had loud neighbors before (music late at night until mid-morning) and it was a constant headache for me.

I have dogs and get it. Do yours bark late at night or early in the morning? If not, I'm not sure why your neighbors even care if they are left outside. I also have one that sometimes doesn't come in at night, but she doesn't bark often and if she does, I make her come in.

Good luck with the situation, it will be better if you try to work it out than if there is a huge issue between you and your wall-mate.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 AM

4,699 posts, read 6,388,908 times
Just as a thought exercise, could it be possible that YOU are the bad neighbor and don't realize it? For example, it seems unbelievable, on its face, that a neighbor would complain about your PAIR of subwoofers if they couldn't hear them, right? Maybe they've tried knocking on your door or ringing your bell but the sound was too loud for you to hear it. Frankly, although I understand your husband's enjoyment of full rich sound, your decision to live in a place where your neighbors are that close was a mistake on your part and it just might be you who should be knocking on their door and apologizing. Regarding the dogs, it could be that they just don't like dogs but it could also be that they are hyper-sensitive animal lovers and they perceive mistreatment. If that isn't the case, explain it to them or not but ask yourself first, was there an advisory that night to bring in pets? That happens from time to time in Florida. I don't know if they do it in GA but maybe that was part of their thinking. On the garbage, was it there or not? Could they see it or not?

Again, I'm not saying you are wrong but I am saying that I can see that, based solely on your comments, you might be at fault on at least one of these incidents. Again, the sidewalk between your door and theirs goes both ways. As others have said, just try to work it out.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 AM

7,216 posts, read 6,531,697 times
Sounds like they are very passive aggressive. I would probably just go knock on their door and say something like, "I know you've been complaining about us. I don't think we've been doing anything wrong, but if we're disturbing you in the future, just come by and let us know so we can address it then and there."

Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 PM

13,181 posts, read 15,812,045 times
If your dogs are outside 24/7, they probably bark. And, yes, it does get "that cold" in your area -- in fact, the weather prediction for your city is for high 20's-low 30's every night this coming weekend. You conceded that the trash in your yard had been there since at least last week. And you also admitted that your husband's music is "a little loud".

I dont see why your neighbors should feel obligated to talk with you directly about these issues. The news, both national and local, is full of stories about people being accosted and even shot for trying to reason with their neighbors about problems exactly like these.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM

3,030 posts, read 6,203,264 times
" we try to bring the dogs in.... I could swear I cleaned up last week... . He does have a set of subwoofers and they are a little loud, but not THAT loud."

These statements tell me who the bad neighbors really are. No one should have to go and talk to their neighbors if those neighbors are doing something wrong. You never know when you might meet up with a nutcase who will go ballistic on them.

Bottom line - try to be a better neighbor and do what is right by them....AND your dogs.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,411,193 times
I feel for you. What a nightmare.

Neighbors expect to live in a clean and quiet neighborhood--the nerve!

I wouldn't even CONSIDER calling the cops over noise unless it was a serious ongoing issue between 11pm-5am. That being said, I'd rather live next door to your neighbors, than next to you. And I really don't understand people that keep outside dogs in small, urban yards. The dogs are often aggressive and miserable, and they bark frequently out of boredom.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,499,104 times
I will always question the veracity of a story by a person that uses the word "popos" instead of police.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM

7,157 posts, read 4,001,910 times
Default good post, I smell the cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
When the over zealous neighbors call the police, they are: 1. wasting valuable resources and 2. a community that constantly or occasionally have a police car in the area, in your specific HOA is unappealing for anyone looking to buy or sell a unit.

Spend a little and get your DH some high quality headphones for music.

Have an open house and invite all of your neighbors. They'll meet you and your pets and those that have noses in the air will eventually get the word that all is well with your unit. Unless your mostly-outside pet barks enough to disturb after 10pm, there should be no problem.

Attend your HOA meetings and get involved. If you are truly concerned about your investment and the community, let them know you are committed to making the entire neighborhood a better and comfortable place to be.

Damn those humans that don't understand pets. And damn crap neighbors... just make sure you're sure not in the second category.

To add: we have a condo as an investment property and will sell soon based on the HOA witches on brooms. We also have a real estate agent living in a nearby condo that deals with the tenants and HOA and he is our designated proxy voter for HOA votes because we simply don't have time. When we lived there, we were more active in the whole HOA thing and I speak from experience, bringing baked goods to a meeting is highly recommended.
Sunset, you are absolutely correct about attending HOA meetings and being involved--for more than the reason the OP mentioned. People who don't stay involved will sooner or later experience difficulty.

And, having served on a board of directors of an HOA for three years, I do recall on the few occasions that someone brought over some baked goods for all who attended to munch on we seemed to have better meetings! We almost always had a pot of coffee going anyway, especially in the winter. And the food was always gone by the end of the meeting.

A very good recommendation, and you deserve more than the single rep I can give you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate