Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
A quick look at my calendar shows that five weeks from your post was..well, the end of May.
Quick look done you wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM

553 posts, read 1,706,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
"Rates" are unchanged over this time period... it costs banks next to nothing to borrow money and this will continue for the foreseeable future - i.e. see Japan as an example.
Rates SHOULD stay low. Ever notice, the past few years, every time it looked like bonds were about to topple, the stock market corrected 5-15%, getting money to pour back into bonds, letting the Fed keep them low and send them lower?

Also, with Obama's new push for allowing underwater homeowners to refinance, the program if approved would require lower rates. Anyone with an ARM they are still holding from 2005-2007 that has been resetting should already have sub 4% rates.

Rates MAY go up if/when the Fed loses control of the game they are playing. Could it be this year? Maybe.

Whenever rates go up though, you can count on 2 things. 1) It will be strong and it will be sudden. 2) It will follow rising precious metal prices.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
Rates SHOULD stay low. Ever notice, the past few years, every time it looked like bonds were about to topple, the stock market corrected 5-15%, getting money to pour back into bonds, letting the Fed keep them low and send them lower?

Also, with Obama's new push for allowing underwater homeowners to refinance, the program if approved would require lower rates. Anyone with an ARM they are still holding from 2005-2007 that has been resetting should already have sub 4% rates.

Rates MAY go up if/when the Fed loses control of the game they are playing. Could it be this year? Maybe.

Whenever rates go up though, you can count on 2 things. 1) It will be strong and it will be sudden. 2) It will follow rising precious metal prices.

I agree with most of this, except for the strong and sudden part - that could happen, but it's certainly not in line with the engineered deflation and re-inflation we've seen so far. A rapid de-valuation of the trillions in dollars of newly minted/re-fi'd/modified loans would put a lot of stress on the banks.

Unlike in the original crash where everyone involved could plead ignorance, this time, due to heavy government involvement the politicians in office will be blamed.

But who knows, maybe the end game is to suck all the low yield debt into the fed's portfolio before igniting hyperinflation. Weirder things have happened.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM

458 posts, read 1,248,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
Not sure, but a second offer was accepted as backup and ours rejected. the first buyers have 48 hours to decide if they want out or not since they have a selling clause.

we ended up losing to people that visited right after us. Like they were in the car waiting when we were leaving. we went straight to the office to draw up a full price offer. We didnt lose on price but on moving date. We put down 5 weeks closing but mentionned we were flexible. The other people visiting were with the broker of the firm with which the house was listed, and put in their offer to close in the end of May, when the sellers wanted to move. if i had that information i would have used it, but i didnt and the listing broker obviously did, so they used it to their advantage. ill know next time to put in flexible in our offer. Bummer
Did you not have a buyer's agent? Usually they get you this kind of information.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Not sure, but a second offer was accepted as backup and ours rejected. the first buyers have 48 hours to decide if they want out or not since they have a selling clause.

we ended up losing to people that visited right after us. Like they were in the car waiting when we were leaving. we went straight to the office to draw up a full price offer. We didnt lose on price but on moving date. We put down 5 weeks closing but mentionned we were flexible. The other people visiting were with the broker of the firm with which the house was listed, and put in their offer to close in the end of May, when the sellers wanted to move. if i had that information i would have used it, but i didnt and the listing broker obviously did, so they used it to their advantage. ill know next time to put in flexible in our offer. Bummer
I doubt your offer was refused on a closing date. I would believe there were other issues to the seller.

In my last sale, we had 3 offers within one days. We looked at several things to decide which was the strongest. Ended up the strongest to us meant the least amount in our pocket when all was said and done but it was the strongest:

1. They could close ASAP and we were already out of the house. They were also polite and professional. My agent did some checking and said their credit was very, very sound.

2. The highest dollar offer was contingent on sale of another home. We said bye bye to that one real fast.

3. The last one kept crying poor mouth and wanting costs from us. I felt they would keep wanting stuff especially after an inspection. Our agent said their credit was OK but the were operating at the end of their resources.

The appeal of an offer might well be in its terms versus the dollars but as they never got back to you, I do not think the closing time was the major issue. I think their agent had their arms around the sales process and was not going to let what ifs sneak in. Old bird in the hand worth two in the bush.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 AM

115 posts, read 368,755 times
Except for the fact that what happened is what happened. The woman is a teacher and wants to stay through the end of may because that's when the school year ends. We had 1 inspection contingency and no home sale. So as you say, it came down to terms. The selling agent made it clear the date was the reason.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Except for the fact that what happened is what happened. The woman is a teacher and wants to stay through the end of may because that's when the school year ends. We had 1 inspection contingency and no home sale. So as you say, it came down to terms. The selling agent made it clear the date was the reason.

Sorry, I did not express myself well.

I say if the seller and agent agreed yours the best offer except for the closing date, then there should have been at least a phone call asking how flexiable you were. The agent owed this to the seller.

Thus me saying I do not believe they considered your offer the best. You did, but they did not.

Of course it could also have been the real estate agent was in control of the seller and wanted the sale to go another way. Another way for reasons of commission, favors, easy buyer to control, pillow talk, etc.

I think the agent saying the close date was the reason was just a blow you off answer.

I am not coming down on you. I am sorry you did not get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate