Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM

115 posts, read 368,722 times

Advertisements

Yet here we are!
We sent in our offer 1% below asking (to a round number), 20% down and no contingencies except an inspection and financing. House has been on market 2 days and there's 3 offers in. I'm in the Midwest; this is not California or a red hot market so I was a little surprised. It is one of the best neighboriods around and priced very right so I knew I'd sell fast.

I know one of offer was accepted before ours came in but it has a home sale contingency attached. Excited to see how it plays out. Any tip appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Even in Iowa City, LOL

National numbers
Calculated Risk: Report: Housing Inventory declines 16% year-over-year in January

and
Home Prices Rise in 88% of U.S. Cities as Recovery Gains
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ery-gains.html
Inventory is plummeting almost everywhere.

My experts say: "
I met with three guys last week, one a business professor at DU, to talk primarily about the apartment market. I asked what would happen if mortgage rates went to 6%, let's say. Would people who have 3.35% mortgages be willing to move-up if it meant losing their beloved rates?

All three said no.

One guy, who has a mortgage background, said that one reason the inventory is so low today is that a lot of people have been able to refinance, even though realistically they couldn't make a profit selling, even with rising home prices. They look around and realize they can't live in a place for less than their new mortgage, so they stay put. Being $50K under water is just on paper for them, since they don't plan to sell. And if by the time their home appreciates enough to make money and rates are at 6%, they won't sell and lose their current rate."

An example, Indianapolis

Last edited by davebarnes; 02-16-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
If a place is reasonably priced and desirable Bid a little over plus $100.

The little over is to make it clear you want the place. The $100 is to take care of people who think like you do.

In the overall course of events these sums are small and of little import.

Investments are different and one should not confuse the two.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,492 times
Interest rates are not going up for the forseeable future, at least through 2016 and possibly later. The Fed is going to make sure housing inflates back up to the bubble peaks.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Interest rates are not going up for the forseeable future, at least through 2016 and possibly later. The Fed is going to make sure housing inflates back up to the bubble peaks.
Actually, I'm reading that they are anticipating interest rates at 4.5% by the end of the year. They will go up slowly.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Actually, I'm reading that they are anticipating interest rates at 4.5% by the end of the year. They will go up slowly.
While I would love to see it I can't see it in the cards.

That would involve a much greater improvement in the economy than is obviously happening.

Sure would be nice though.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,801,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
I know one of offer was accepted before ours came in but it has a home sale contingency attached. Excited to see how it plays out. Any tip appreciated.
So, do you think first offer will not be going through?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
This is where research is your friend.
If you really want a house and you suspect/know there are multiple offers, you bid higher that the asking price. Try to get your 'deal' in seller concessions. If you are going into an area that has a long history of being a desirable one, why even bother with low offers? 2 or 3 k more is nothing in the monthly.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
The only advice I have is don't get stupid and let the house blind you to your personal fiscal realities. In other words, stop your bidding when you reach your maximum comfortable price. There's always another house to buy.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 AM

115 posts, read 368,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
So, do you think first offer will not be going through?
Not sure, but a second offer was accepted as backup and ours rejected. the first buyers have 48 hours to decide if they want out or not since they have a selling clause.

we ended up losing to people that visited right after us. Like they were in the car waiting when we were leaving. we went straight to the office to draw up a full price offer. We didnt lose on price but on moving date. We put down 5 weeks closing but mentionned we were flexible. The other people visiting were with the broker of the firm with which the house was listed, and put in their offer to close in the end of May, when the sellers wanted to move. if i had that information i would have used it, but i didnt and the listing broker obviously did, so they used it to their advantage. ill know next time to put in flexible in our offer. Bummer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate