Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:13 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotsandpeas View Post
The way i took his comment is that i was the problem and that i need to shut up and take it. I also felt he was making these claims without any context for the situation beyond what little i had given.

The agent messed up. He got the wrong time, showed up with his client after the open house was over, knew he screwed up, was embarrassed, didn't want his client to think he's incompetent, and he is probably a jerk to begin with; so he yelled at you like it's your fault to hide the fact that he screwed up. Just move on, I doubt his client is too impressed.

If it happens again, just say something to the agent like, "You are rude and unprofessional. I think you should stop embarrassing yourself in front of your clients." That usually shut them up real quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,029 times
Quote:
Well i was finally able to get ahold of my real estate people. They confirmed that there was nothing scheduled for that time. They had no idea who that guy was. If they do find out they will let me know.

I have no problems working around things or making accomodations. This agent simply would not let me say anyhing, and he told his clients to leave right after yelling at me. If he would have spoken to me like an adult there would not have been any issues, we simply would have found a way around it or rescheduled. In all honesty the way he acted was much like my 3 year olds tantrums. I am not going to chase this guyy down my driveway begging him to show his clients my house.

Last night i was more concerned about the way he acted and if he was legitimately.showing my house and who was to blame for the screw up. Whomever did mess up deserves to lnow, or at least i would if it were my business.
Wow, they have no idea who this guy was?? How do agents access homes where you are? Do you use combo locks or electronic ones?

Next time you get a rude agent, ask for their card and make sure and let their managing broker know, that behavior is unacceptable. Miscommunication or frustration is not an excuse for a professional to yell at a homeowner.

Selling a home while you are still occupying it is not for the faint of heart.. I will warn you now. Sigh.. better to get it over with quickly if you can and not drag it out chasing the highest price, know what I mean? I had a listing recently where the showing agent left my client's garage door open all day in a not so nice neighborhood. Talk about livid. Good luck with your sale and hope your future experiences with showing your house go better and you get an offer quickly.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
What kind of lock box are you using? If electronic, the agent will leave a trail which will show up eventually. If mechanical and he wasn't authorized for a showing, how did he know the lock box code? That might be a more serious problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
What kind of lock box are you using? If electronic, the agent will leave a trail which will show up eventually. If mechanical and he wasn't authorized for a showing, how did he know the lock box code? That might be a more serious problem.
This is exactly where i was going with my post.. I would be concerned that perhaps the combo code is not protected (hidden) or if electronic.. I'm not sure how they work. But I would be pressing my agent to figure out how some unknown person was gaining access to my house.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcater View Post
This is exactly where i was going with my post.. I would be concerned that perhaps the combo code is not protected (hidden) or if electronic.. I'm not sure how they work. But I would be pressing my agent to figure out how some unknown person was gaining access to my house.
They way our MLS lockboxes work is that when you update you key, then the homes you entered via a keybox will show up. I have an Iphone key so when I show a property, an email is sent immediately to the agent, but for agents that have the older keys, I have to wait until they put their key in the cradle and update it. So, if they have a system like ours, it would be really easy for an agent to show up like that and not know who it was for a few days when they update their e-key. Once they update, then the email gets sent about access to the keybox. It is one of the reasons why I insist agents call me for appointments. If something happens I don't want to wait several days to figure out which agent was involved.

My guess is that the agent failed to call and make the appointment and didn't want to own up to their mistake so they tried to cover it by blaming the seller.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM

8 posts, read 22,414 times
Yea I was wondering that myself. The lockbox is a manual one, you have to know the combo. When I opened the door he already had it open. How would he have the combo unless either someone did screw up and not schedule it properly, or maybe my realtor people use the same combo for all their boxes?

If I could do it over I would definitely get his name. Last night was just bad, I was really annoyed especially because my dog peed on me while this guy was yelling at me.... (dog got scared I guess?)

Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,980 times
ask your agent if the combo # is in the agents only section of your listing online.. if it is, tell them to change it to where they have to call you or your agent to get it. you'll atleast know who you speak to and confirm times with in case someone else shows up unannounced

Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
The way i took his comment is that i was the problem and that i need to shut up and take it. I also felt he was making these claims without any context for the situation beyond what little i had given.
First - I never said you were the problem. All I said was that, in this situation where you are selling the house, it sometimes makes sense to defer to others in inconvenient situations. After all, you want them to buy your house.

Second - You were the one who posted looking for advice and now you are upset that I didn't know all of the context when I posted a response? Wouldn't that be your responsibility to provide? I can only go on what you provided. Regardless, you didn't indicate where I made a wrong assumption.

Third - I'm female, not male.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
ask your agent if the combo # is in the agents only section of your listing online.. if it is, tell them to change it to where they have to call you or your agent to get it. you'll atleast know who you speak to and confirm times with in case someone else shows up unannounced
Totally agree with this. We don't use those combo boxes here, but if we did I wouldn't post the code in the MLS.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
I have unlocked a door to show a property precisely at my appointment time only to be confronted by an angry seller (in the supposed-to-be vacant condo) saying that my appointment was for the next day. Was not my fault but the agent's who was doing floor the day I called to make my appointment. Do you think they admitted their mistake to the seller or just let their client believe that I was the one who screwed up? The other six or seven offices I called for appointments that day luckily got the times and days right.

To the sellers out there. I want to sell your house. That's the only way I get paid. I do everything I can to be right on time but if yours is towards the end of the day's showings it's likely to have been pushed forward or backward by circumstances beyond my control. I rarely have been given your phone number by your agent and your agent or her office don't always answer the phone when I call to alert them we're going to be late. This is especially true on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. In that case I either don't show up at all which will tick you off or I do show up late which will also tick you off. I promise not to yell at you but please try to have a little understanding for the guy who may very well have your buyers in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate