Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of wide angle shots in listings?
Don't like them 24 40.68%
Some are OK 25 42.37%
Love them! 8 13.56%
Meh -- I really don't care 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

I have been told I have an eye for photography so I take all the photos for our listings and sometimes use a wide angle but I don't like to. I have had buyer agents get mad at me for taking "to good" photos. hey I take it seriously and it is my job to represent the sellers house in the best light posssible. I don't touch any photos up but I don't take ones in the first place with the toilet seat up, a flash in a mirror, junk on a table or cluttered in the corner.
What really bugs me is when a million dollar listing comes on and they have like 2 photos. What kind of service is that?
I wouldn't hire anyone to do a job I can do myself like taking quality photos but some agents sure could do with a lesson or someone to take photos for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Typically when we see million dollar listings with only a couple photos, it's at the request of the seller because they don't want their valuables on display for the world to see.

I always use a professional photographer because I am not good at taking pictures. If someone is a hobbyist and really good with a camera (and I know non-professionals that are) then I don't see a reason for them to hire someone. But the ones good enough are probably 1 in 20 and I see WAY too many bad pictures listed on the MLS. It's a shame and a huge disservice to the seller.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
I ignore them and only look at the SQ
and the floor plan.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Just don't pissed off when a professional photographer sells a house and takes your commission.
All a photo does is get someone in the door. The buyer still has to like the house in person. Are you now saying photographers are better at selling homes than agents? Why the angst?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Wait, you RE pros shouldn't be dabbling in the black art of photography. Something bad might happen. You know, like you take a decent picture and put it on the listing.

Only pro photographers should photograph houses.

/sarcasm

Old 02-05-2014, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,253 times
editing is very important, they need to make sure lines are straight and remove any distortion caused by the lens

Old 02-05-2014, 03:50 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Those pictures that have been light-painted in PhotoShop, I am seeing them all over listings.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Those pictures that have been light-painted in PhotoShop, I am seeing them all over listings.
There is a LOT of bizarre HDR stuff around.
Some agents really penalize their sellers by showing houses in the worst light.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You would be upset if I said that we don't need real-estate professionals.
You should embrace the fact that professional photographers know more about photography than RealWhores®.

Why are people too cheap to spend a few hundred bucks on photos?

Don't answer. I already know.
Because any twit can point a camera at something and take a snap.
Yes, you can, but not an excellent photo.
I have a professional photographer whose photos have been featured in architectural magazines. The MOST she has ever charged for photography is $350 -- and that was for a 8 bedroom, $7 mil listing. I paid an extra $150 for drone shots. The typical $350 - $500K listing, the cost can range from $95 to $150, depending on rush orders, etc. Between $500 and a $1 mil, you start bumping up on $200+

Generally, if it's a smaller condo or a ranch under $200K, I'll do it myself -- and I am NOT "free." My time and experience is valuable. I know staging for photos, I know how to use lenses and a tripod, I know lighting, and I know how to edit and the pictures are acceptable. And I'm not using a darn cell phone! Just as not every real estate transaction needs an agent, not every house needs professional photography. There have been some homes where I have taken good temporary photos just to get the house on the market, with an eye to adding the pro pics the next day -- and the house gets sold before the photographer can even get there.

PS: If your attitude is such that you think a term like RealWhores is amusing, I think I know why you might not be getting much real estate business. I had one pro photographer I stopped using because he was so busy taking artsy pictures of reflections on chrome fixtures that he'd forget to take a picture of the front of the house, not to mention the dang bathroom! -- and then tried to charge me extra for going back out to get the picture! He was a frustrated artiste -- who couldn't see the forest for all the trees.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Wide angle shots are fine. The issue is people have no idea how to use a camera. Fish eye is fine too, just defish the distortions in the photo before you upload it.

Here is a 10mm fisheye that has been defished and color corrected. I would say it captures the room quite nicely. It really depends on your skill level. (below)

This realtor had less skill with the fish eye (below)

This realtor doesnt care. (below)

Last edited by 399083453; 02-05-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate