Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 PM

7,445 posts, read 4,678,987 times

Advertisements

Townhouse is a great choice. You can get a brand new or newer unit but since it is smaller in dimension than a SFH, will be more affordable, just like a condo is, generally speaking. Also, you get land right at your doorstep, just like a SFH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 PM

7,445 posts, read 4,678,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
Out here in AZ there is no difference between the two. (Condo or townhouse)
Condo is vertical (neighbor is on top or below you but also to your left and right), while townhouse is horizontal (left and right of you)

Old 11-16-2017, 04:19 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Condo is vertical (neighbor is on top or below you but also to your left and right), while townhouse is horizontal (left and right of you)
Wrong.

I live in a condo. No one on top or below.

There are condos that are like single family houses. No one on top, below, or next to.

A townhouse is a type of structure. In most cases it will be a condo or single family home.

In the area I used to live in all townhouses were condos. Where I live now it is the same.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:24 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Not necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Wrong.

I live in a condo. No one on top or below.

There are condos that are like single family houses. No one on top, below, or next to.

A townhouse is a type of structure. In most cases it will be a condo or single family home.

In the area I used to live in all townhouses were condos. Where I live now it is the same.
Yup.
"Condominium" speaks to ownership and title, not to structure.
There are detached housing units that look just like single family detached homes that are titled and bought and sold as condos.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not necessarily.

Yup.
There are detached housing units that look just like single family detached homes that are titled and bought and sold as condos.
Yes, I lived in a townhouse-style home that was a condo. All the units in the community were side by side and either one or two floors.

Additionally, there is no guarantee that single family homes will be bigger than townhomes or condos. I know in my area, it’s a weird array of old, small split levels/raised ranches and newer McMansions and townhomes. Obviously the McMansions are out of range for a lot of people, while the split levels are often too small and/or need a whole lot of work for the money. The townhomes are usually newer and larger for the same price. You typically get two full floors of usable space plus a full basement. Most of the condos/townhomes in this area also have fairly low fees.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:46 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not necessarily.

Yup.
This is interesting. Thanks. I had always thought of condos as being more like apartments and townhomes more like SFHs. Live and learn.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,486 times
I agree with most of these posts. It mainly depends on what the individual, couple, or family want. Location is also a determining factor. In my hood, SFH cost over a million. However, you can buy a 600-700 sq. ft 1 bed for $450-500k or a 2 bed condo for upwards of 700k. No amenities, 70's buildings, shared laundry, and 1 parking space. It all depends on your wants, job, and what you can tolerate.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
For us it was condo all the way. We tried owning a house and absolutely hated it. The yard, the never-ending projects, it was hard to leave for long periods of time without arranging for someone to take care of it, and it felt isolated from all our activities and friends. We weren't sure we ever wanted to buy again, but decided to try a condo. Steel and concrete construction, secure building, no yard, exterior maintenance done for you, a staff to keep the building clean, pool that someone else maintains, etc - is the way for us! We travel a ton (and we're close to light rail - no more airport parking lots), have no kids and no plans for any. When we don't feel like walking a couple blocks to the store, we are surrounded by great restaurants.

My family thinks we're nuts. We're supposed to be good little Midwestern transplants and buy a house! Don't you know you're supposed to buy a house!? You can't buy an apartment! (I think our families honestly don't believe we 'own' our condo, and that someone has made us believe we actually bought it when we're really just renting it)

Certainly different housing solutions are right for different folks or they wouldn't exist.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
I've owned an apartment style condo, a townhouse (legally a condo in terms of the ownership) and now half of a paired home/side by side duplex, which is basically a single family - there is a shared party wall and we'd have to agree on something like a roof replacement or exterior painting but otherwise, I'm responsible for everything, inside and out.

They've been right for me at various stages in my life, and I expect to downsize back into a condo when my son is out of the house and I'm retired - probably(hopefully!) not for another 12-15 years, though!

Old 11-17-2017, 06:20 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times
I rent a 2 bed townhouse w a downstairs and upstairs in a unique complex that also has apartments.

It's also unique in that they don't have any app fee or admin fee and they have a refundable pet fee and the monthly pet charge reduces each year.
Also the water, sewer, garbage and basic cable is included in the rent.

Needless to say this place has a 6 month waiting list because of these features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate