Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times

Advertisements

Rubu, You wanted to know if you were being an ass in asking the seller to address those items you noted. Your words, not mine.

That requires an opinion on the part pf people responding, does it not ? Evidently you didn't want opinions, you wanted people to affirm your desire and tell you to how make that big, bad seller do what you wanted him to do. You had a preconceived response you were looking for.

You didn't get it, so now you think everyone is bashing you and handing you crap. No, people are explaining the real world to you. You're not listening.

It doesn't matter a hoot how much you pay for the house, the fact remains that you are buying a used house. The responses would be the same if the house was $ 200,000 or $ $1,000,000. It's still used and you had ample opportunity to view the house multiple times and read the seller's disclosure prior to making an offer.

Tell you what- make yourself happy. Tell the seller you want him to replace a hot water heater and air conditioner that working just fine, refinish the wood floors, tear down the ceiling and maybe walls, so someone can figure out how to sound proof the room below from the noise of a jetted tub filling up, then replace the ceiling and walls, tape and paint, and fix the basement crack. This is what you want to do, so go ahead and so it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
OP... did you know the dishwasher, furnace, roof, exterior paint, ceiling fans, microwave, plumbing, carpet etc. etc... all are 10 years old and could go out at any time or day. The point is you're buying a 10 year old home. Items 1-3 on your list are cosmetic and not normally asked for.

Did your agent negotiate you a "Home Warranty" ? You might keep it in place for a few years so as stuff starts to break it is replaced or repaired. (I personally would not extend past the 1st year)

Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 PM

32 posts, read 68,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
OP... did you know the dishwasher, furnace, roof, exterior paint, ceiling fans, microwave, plumbing, carpet etc. etc... all are 10 years old and could go out at any time or day. The point is you're buying a 10 year old home. Items 1-3 on your list are cosmetic and not normally asked for.

Did your agent negotiate you a "Home Warranty" ? You might keep it in place for a few years so as stuff starts to break it is replaced or repaired. (I personally would not extend past the 1st year)
Those are not old. Those does not have 10 year expiration but item I mention does. My agent is a ...... bag...I did not see the house multiple times. Just once. Did not negotiate a warranty either. We are new to this whole thing. I moved to US 15 years back and my family is not here so never owned a house in US so I have very small knowledge on houses.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM

397 posts, read 613,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubu View Post
Hi Folks....

As you all know I am first time home buyer. House I am buying is 2003 built home (10years old) Me and sellers agreed to a price on 03/11 and it is contingent upon inspection and attorney approval. Attorney approval is not done yet. I just completed house inspection. Few items were noted and and needs to be addressed.

My main concerns following,

1. Water heater and air conditioning units are closer to its end of life time (mentioned by the manufacturer). I am concern because I do not want to get a huge bill of putting new things in just when we move in.
2. During the water fill in the Jacuzzi tube on the 2nd floor and when running. The noise level on the 1st floor is really bad. Inspector said the best is to insulate it.
3. Hard wood floors are discolored where the seller has placed area rugs.
4. There is crack in the outer basement wall and inspector said it needs to be sealed not big thing to be concern.

Am I being an ass by asking to fix these? Or asking money from the seller?

Also...end of Monday is the deadline for me to complete the Attorney approval. Should I complete that or hold it until I negotiate this with the sellers? Please help me.

Thanks
There are no rules for what is reasonable and what is not. You have to look out for your interests and not worry about offending the seller. Your requests for repairs, and the likelyhood that sellers will pay, will depend on numerous factors (how desperate are sellers, multiple offers?, how long on market, and the strength of your offer).

I disagree with davidbarnes and twingles who argue that as long as the HVAC is functioning it is not a issue and that “there is no way to tell†if the HVAC is on its last leg.

1. AC is a big ticket item and an HVAC company should be able to give you an idea of the condition of the AC unit. Your primary concern is a leaking coil ($1-2K to fix) and they should be able determine whether the coils are leaking. If it is low on freon, by definition it has a leak. If there is any evidence of a leak ask the seller to fix it (this is not unreasonable). The seller may call your bluff and refuse, at this point you have to decide how far to push it. I doubt the seller would want to lose the deal over a few thousand dollars. Your agent may pressure you to back off, but remember, it is in their best interest to get the deal done and they wont paying for the AC when it fails 6 months after closing.

2. Noise is an issue if it is excessive. It also may indicate a defect in the jacuzzi. Only you know how important this is to you.

3. While the discolored floors may only be a “cosmetic issue†(willow wind), it is still a defect. I disagree with WW. Your failure to notice this prior to the inspection does not mean you have to accept this defect. According to WW’s rationale, the sellers should have noticed it and disclosed it (same goes for the crack in the basement wall) I would consider adding this to your repair list.

4. Regarding the basement wall crack, not sure how DB can simply state that it “is not a big thingâ€. Cracks in basements are relatively common, but they be a harbinger of bad things to come. This again is a potentially big ticket item. I would have a structural engineer or someone who knows about foundations look at it.

I would try to buy some time to get these issues clarified before signing off on the inspection contingency.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Tell you what- make yourself happy. Tell the seller you want him to replace a hot water heater and air conditioner that working just fine, refinish the wood floors, tear down the ceiling and maybe walls, so someone can figure out how to sound proof the room below from the noise of a jetted tub filling up, then replace the ceiling and walls, tape and paint, and fix the basement crack. This is what you want to do, so go ahead and so it.

Yes, you aren't getting the answers you want, so go ahead and ask for what you want done. Just have a game plan in mind for what you are going to do if the sellers say "NO". Again - you say your concerns are cosmetic things. HVAC and water heater are not cosmetic, and if that is truly your concern buy a new house or you're never gonna be happy. No used house is going to meet all your criteria, it's just not. The price is irrelevant.

When we sold our house 2.5 years ago the buyers had a list of 4 things they wanted done. #1,2,3 were totally reasonable, the 4th not so much. We said "NO" - not negotiable. Our attorney called their attorney and told her - and she said she'd speak to them and get back to us. But we made it pretty clear we weren't going to do what they wanted even if it meant putting the house back on the market. So they let it go.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Those are not old. Those does not have 10 year expiration but item I mention does. .
Nothing in a home has a 10 year Expiration. Not the AC, Not the Hot water Heater... many appliances have a useful life of 10-20 years but they don't magically stop working or expire at the 10 year mark.

Sounds like you're getting bad information. What you mentioned can easily last 12-20 years.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Perhaps the answers you initially received were not phrased in the friendliest of manners (it's hard to judge tone on the internet) and that put you on the defensive. To, a seasoned home buyer, the answer to your question is obvious and so some may have phrased their answers to refelect that fact.

Regardless, you're still getting solid advice here. No reasonable homeowner is going to repair or give you money to cover any of the issues you listed except for maybe the crack in the foundation but that's a maybe. It would depend on the severity of the crack. Only the most desperate of sellers will agree to these concessions. The majority will be happy to put the house back on the market rather than to give you thousands off the price for what are essentially cosmetic issues.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
a] Inspector could not run the air conditioner. So I am not sure if it is even working.
That is common in cold climates. But the furnace is working, right? So the sellers have done their due diligence in presenting a system that is working. Period.

Quote:
Well we will run Jacuzzi often. I guess it is a personal preference. Correction here......the noise is coming when I am on the first floor while the Jacuzzi is getting filled in the second floor. That noise is not tolerable.
That is not the seller's problem.

Quote:
I am not buying an expensive house to make me feel like I am an apartment when I am in the first floor.
The price of the house is immaterial. You are buying a house where all the systems are in working order. The water heater and the furnace work. The floors are a cosmetic issue. The noise from the jacuzzi is a personal preference.

I'd ask the sellers to repair the crack and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The color of a wood floor is not a home inspection concern.
Yes.

Quote:
I am not buying a cheap house. Its $350K house in Rochester, NY. equivalent to near 800-900K house in California. Yes I am a first time home buyer.
None of this matters.

Quote:
Buying a 10 year old house does not mean I have to accept all the crap from everyone here and the solution does not have to be buying a new house
If you don't want opinions, don't ask for them.

Quote:
As a first time buyer I want to cover my ass. I can buy a brand new house If I want.
Then do it.

Quote:
I did not see the house multiple times. Just once. Did not negotiate a warranty either. We are new to this whole thing. I moved to US 15 years back and my family is not here so never owned a house in US so I have very small knowledge on houses.
None of this is the seller's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate