Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM

115 posts, read 195,582 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in my MIL's home since 1998, after she had a stroke. She has since passed away. The home is in an area that is zoned light commercial. Recently, we received a letter from the factory next door which said that they have gone to the city planning board. I did some research and this factory is planning on building an 800,000 sq ft warehouse on our property. They also have started marking trees that they plan on cutting down, including trees on our property.

This is really upsetting to me, but my husband doesn't seem to be worried about it. I'm not sure what, if anything we can do about this. Should we be worried? Is it time to move? Should we get a lawyer and fight it? Can anyone give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
get them to pay fair market value or higher for the house, who wants to leave next to a factory anyways? I would definitly not let them cut any of the trees on your property tho.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
After your MIL passed away, did you become the legal owners of the house? If not, I'd start working on that right now.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
They're just trying to get you to the negotiating table. This could be your lucky day, developers often would rather over pay for a property like yours than go thru the hassle of trying to lawyer up and/or work the political system to eminnent domain you.

But yeah, if I were you I would not want to live next to a factory, I'd ask for a very very big check and jet the heck out of there. You may want to get someone to represent you in the negotiation though.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Chances are they'll be able to seize the house eventually through eminent domain. I would start negotiating now.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Chances are they'll be able to seize the house eventually through eminent domain. I would start negotiating now.
You're going to have to explain to me how a private entity can exercise eminent domain.

For the OP; I'm not sure how a factory can rezone your property without your participation. On the other hand, it sounds like you might be able to extract a nice price from them for your property.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
The OP hasn't actually said they own the house. If the MIL owned the house and they don't they could be in trouble.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Go get some surveyor's tape or something similar and some " No Trepassing signs" Mark your property boundaries with the tape and get the signs up. Keep the tree cutters off your land. If you see anyone touching your trees, call the police and file trespassing charges.

Who owns the house ? Figure that out. If you're the heirs and never had it put it in your names legally then do so.

Hire a lawyer and have them do the legal transfer to whoever owns the house. ( I hope it's you and not a bunch of family members).

Then have an appraisal done to establish a value on the house. I would suggest you plan on moving- a monster factory next door is not something you need. But you do want to get top price for your house.
They will offer next to nothing. Your appraisal will establish a value.

Let your attorney do the actual price haggling with the factory. Or if the town wants to take it via eminent domain, he can haggle with the town. Or if you have a strong backbone, you can negotiate yourself. But they'll make your life miserable - you need to be tough.

But do protect yourself- you can't sit there and wait to see what might happen. You've got to be proactive or you'll lose a bundle financially.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
RE; Eminent domain

The factory could get the town to rezone the land . Then the town could possibly take it via eminent domain.

Famous case- Kelo versus New London- city could take land to give to developer bringing in much high taxes than single family home. Went all the way to the US Supreme Court which sided with the city.

Unless there is some strong state law to prevent this, could happen. OP in question needs to start lining up ducks in a row.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM

115 posts, read 195,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The OP hasn't actually said they own the house. If the MIL owned the house and they don't they could be in trouble.
MIL passed away in 2010. SIL has power of attorney and she keeps saying that everything is still in probate.

I really don't trust her because when I started researching the property, it looks like she had taken out a $50k mortgage, but that's another story.

I do believe in being proactive, especially when it comes to things like this. It's an old house, built in the 1960's, and my husband has put a lot of work into it. I would hate to see him not get anything out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate