U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread
Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM
4,281 posts, read 9,816,816 times

My last home purchase was a new home as was the one before that. I prefer new homes if for no other reasons is I watch them being built. I have them inspected by a contractor while being built, I can choose the model I want, the options I want, etc. When I move in it is exactly the way I want it. I am not settleing for things I do not like or may have to have changed.

Typically one does not have to consider maintenance/repair issues on a new home for 6-8 years. Yes anything can break at anytime but also new has a better chance of lasting then does something already 20 years old the day you move in.

While commuting and schools are of no interest to me I did choose to buy in an area that those considering things such would be happy with.

My only commute concern is when I am half in the bag driving home from the golf club.......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
17,579 posts, read 36,625,934 times
Who cares? You want new, buy new. You don't, then don't.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM
1,644 posts, read 2,094,524 times
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
People do underestimate commute times and cost. That new home will never be new, after they lived in it. Foundation problems can take a few years to surface. My upstairs flooring is supported by 2 x 12s, it was built in 1980. I challenge you all to go to any new subdivision (Pulte, KB, Toll), and see if you can find a 2 x 12 anywhere on the premises.
While I like 2x12's - the new homes are made with engineered trusses. They are built off site, and vastly superior in strength to a 2x12 - I mean on the order of 3-5x stronger. The problem with engineered trusses for the second floor is that they amplify the noise from above, so you need to insulate the floor if you want to not hear every noise the people upstairs make.

In my opinion location is more important than anything. If the location is right, the house can be torn down.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
2,658 posts, read 9,982,534 times
There are people who want new construction. There are people who like historic homes. Others want a fixer upper. To each or her own. There are pros and cons to any. New construction homes tend to settle, have nail pops and cracks, and require more upfront money for lawn/garder, curtains, appliances, and other things (ceiling fans, security system, screened porch, etc). Older homes have style and character but can require weekly or even monthly TLC for repairs.

For people with kids, it's important to choose the school system that fits them. Those areas tend to have excellent or decent resale.

Living in VA, earlier in my career, i had 45"+ commutes. It was a chore to drive, and any happiness shortly wore off (6-12 months). After living in DC, I found it important to have as short of a commute as possible (one hospital was less than 10" and the other less than 20"). It was well worth the extra money because it afforded me more time. When I moved to Florida, we did a test run on the commute, and without traffic it was 15-18". With traffic, it became 30". Then they added 3 sets of stop lights on my route which added another 7-10" on top of it.

Having a shorter commute allows more time for me to unwind, relax, exercise and spend time with the family. My commute is less than 20", now. I don't need to live near shopping but it is nice to have a grocery store nearby when entertaining to get last minute items (6" away).

What people should do is be more critical of how far they are from work, and everything else, for that matter. People don't tend to factor time, wear and tear on vehicles, and cost for fuel for longer commutes into the cost of living. It's weighing the pros and cons of different combinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or