Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times

Advertisements

There a 5 even reasons a home sells: price, location, condition, marketing, terms. Of all those 5 equal reason, price is the one thing alone that can fix any other problem. That is why so often the response is: something needs to be done differently, but you can fix whatever the problem is by price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
There a 5 even reasons a home sells: price, location, condition, marketing, terms. Of all those 5 equal reason, price is the one thing alone that can fix any other problem. That is why so often the response is: something needs to be done differently, but you can fix whatever the problem is by price.

Yes, but sometimes making a $500 change can save you from dropping the price $10,000. Not a bad investment if you ask me.

Have you had the home staged 1970Pelle?

I always thought of negative feedback as a GOOD thing. For one thing, it's only when people start getting serious about a house that they find things they don't like about it. If you walked through a house that you had no interest in at all, you'd say to your realtor "sure, decent home, NEXT!".

No negative feedback is a BAD thing. Something's wrong, either with the price, marketing, condition, location (and not reflected in the price), something.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
You are correct but I was just informing the poster why dropping the price is such a common answer. Any of those reasons could be why, and the OP needs to pinpoint what the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yes, but sometimes making a $500 change can save you from dropping the price $10,000. Not a bad investment if you ask me.

Have you had the home staged 1970Pelle?

I always thought of negative feedback as a GOOD thing. For one thing, it's only when people start getting serious about a house that they find things they don't like about it. If you walked through a house that you had no interest in at all, you'd say to your realtor "sure, decent home, NEXT!".

No negative feedback is a BAD thing. Something's wrong, either with the price, marketing, condition, location (and not reflected in the price), something.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM

238 posts, read 763,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I get hired and make my living telling the truth.......blowing smoke and making people feel good isn't in my nature.
This is why you should hire an appraiser, and get an honest, objective evaluation of the market price of your home.

As far as the feedback is concerned... forget about it. The truth is that every single one of the people who've looked at your home would have bought it, at a different (lower) price. That they didn't tell you that is just human nature - it doesn't mean your problem isn't price.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You are correct but I was just informing the poster why dropping the price is such a common answer. Any of those reasons could be why, and the OP needs to pinpoint what the problem is.
OIC. I agree. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
I'm sorry that I offended the OP with the price comment. But it's better to know the truth and be offended than not know the truth at all.

I did say that I was making the assumption that the house was in good shape and being presented well. You would hope that after 7 months, lots of showings, and open houses that they have tried to pinpoint those things.

Here are a couple other possible killers. If you are home when the house is being shown, don't be. People almost never want to view a house when the owner is home, it makes it obvious that they are in someone elses home, not their future home.

Especially don't show the home yourself. It is almost a given that an owner will oversell their own home. That creates negative emotion on the buyers part and most homes are purchased on emotions, (after price).

How does your home smell? Ask someone you know that can be brutally truthful to come in and tell you. You won't be able to smell it yourself. If you have pets you may need to change the carpet. If you smoke you may need to change the carpet and paint.

If your Realtor was trully following up on all the showings, you would know these things by now. It is just not possible to have lots of showings, everyone loves your house but it doesn't sell.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
Well its been 7 months on the market and not one offer.We have dropped our price 16k and are offering help with closing cost.Our agent is planning a open house this Sunday.I was trying to think of something to say in the ad that may help stir some interest and not sound deperate.Like bring all offers.We need to do something have had LOTS of showings and the open houses have always brought people in.Have never had any negative comments.Lets hear some hooks.Anything.Thanks
If you can actually get warm bodies into your home and they have no negative feedback......LOWER YOUR PRICE

here is a hook for you REDUCED it works everytime

Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
Well its been 7 months on the market and not one offer.We have dropped our price 16k and are offering help with closing cost.Our agent is planning a open house this Sunday.I was trying to think of something to say in the ad that may help stir some interest and not sound deperate.Like bring all offers.We need to do something have had LOTS of showings and the open houses have always brought people in.Have never had any negative comments.Lets hear some hooks.Anything.Thanks
Without knowing your MLS number and competition, it's hard to say. You could be in an area that did not have a big increase in price but none the less you may be feeling the effects. People read the news and are waiting for a large decrease in price.

What kind of feedback have you gotten?

Old 10-31-2007, 02:23 PM

95 posts, read 261,471 times
Sounds like youver gotten some really good advice. Look at it from a buyers prospective. look at everything in your house. Have you removed yourself from it!! taken down family pictures- made rooms look as big as possible- asked for feedback from customers on feedback sheets. Talk to your realtor then ask about a new CMA to see if your still in the ball park. How do you compare with everyone else
Good luck

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,979 times
I had a reason for the ? I was asking.I'm disappointed with the response.None!Yesterday I meet with the a manager from the main office of the realty company I'm currently listed with.To stur up something what ever from them to sell my home.I have made mention of my disappointment with my agent in past threads.But what I did not do in the meeting was assassinate the agent.What I did was ? what is there plan and what are they doing.Because at this point in time I believe NOBODY knows how or what to do to sell homes.Its a gamble/hit or miss.So its very easy to says your price is to high ect.And all the other remarks.But if your are not trying anything your wasting peoples time.So today I have had the broker and agents in my home relooking the house over and we had a good meeting of the minds.Kicking around sevaral idea's to try.Which includes a price change.Yes my house has been staged and restaged.I have spent a nice sum to make it look as fresh ect. as possilbe.So I thought there may be a neat hook out thhere that is new to add to the meeting.Oh well there were some good idea's brought up.And were working on the details.To try something.I'll post later what we come up with.Thanks for the offers to help price my home.But I don't think someone from another area can price a home over the internet with pictures and detail.There are opinions but nothing I would take to the bank.Like I said before I don't feel anybody knows what to do in today's market.If you say you do show me the numbers.As a home owner waiting to sell I took action.In a positive way.Because in my worthless opinion things are going to get a lot worse before better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate