U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,544,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have yet to see a poster in the thread say they prefer a few boxes in the garage.
I prefer a few boxes in the garage.

Happy now ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM

30,718 posts, read 53,738,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I prefer a few boxes in the garage.

Happy now ?
Uh, can you spare me a beer?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 PM

2,191 posts, read 2,660,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Actually what you're showing is that sellers have to cater to stupid buyers who don't have enough brains to see beyond a stack of boxes. And if sellers didn't have to cater to stupid buyers who don't have enough brains to see beyond photographs and knick knacks and towels in the linen closet, sellers wouldn't have to use the storage boxes in the first place.

Are people really that stupid to think that the sellers won't take the boxes with them? Or are they that stupid to not be able to gauge how much space their own stuff will take up?

I truly fear for the future of the human race.
The potential buyers know that the sellers will take the boxes with them; BUT, they are now thinking that if the house looks this good with this much stuff packed into boxes then it must have looked cluttered or the closets were crammed with stuff before they listed the house. Golly jeez, there probably isn't enough room for OUR stuff in this house if we buy it. Buh-bye potential buyers.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 AM

912 posts, read 1,155,978 times
I don't mind some boxes in the garage, as long as they're neatly stacked AND they still allow me to get a feel for the garage size. Garage sizes vary widely, and I've seen some that were listed as a "two car garage" that were really like a "one car + one bicycle" garage. I like the idea of stacking the boxes in the approximate shape and size of a car to help a potential buyer get perspective.

We looked at a house recently that had a lot of strong points, but not a lot of closet space. That lack of closet space was already on my list of concerns when I opened the door leading to the garage, and then I saw tons of sloppily stacked boxes and assorted other stuff. You couldn't freely move through the garage. It was a mess. Not appealing at all.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM

30,602 posts, read 55,891,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
The potential buyers know that the sellers will take the boxes with them; BUT, they are now thinking that if the house looks this good with this much stuff packed into boxes then it must have looked cluttered or the closets were crammed with stuff before they listed the house. Golly jeez, there probably isn't enough room for OUR stuff in this house if we buy it. Buh-bye potential buyers.
Why would a buyer assume that the items in the boxes had been crammed into closets? Or that the seller didn't have enough room for them?

Come to think of it, why do buyers concern themselves about the sellers' possessions at all? They're buying the house, not what's in it. Idiots ...

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would a buyer assume that the items in the boxes had been crammed into closets? Or that the seller didn't have enough room for them?

Come to think of it, why do buyers concern themselves about the sellers' possessions at all? They're buying the house, not what's in it. Idiots ...
So, you just tell your agent you prefer cluttered homes, and you will be pleased with the results!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM

6,778 posts, read 6,897,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The OP is trying to sell a house, not re-engineer societal foibles.

I have yet to see a poster in the thread say they prefer a few boxes in the garage.
Sorry, Mike, but I would rather see the boxes in the garage than stuffed closets. I am so glad that a majority of you feel that it isn't a big deal. Moving is very costly and I've been checking storage costs - I was surprised how much it has gone up. I month - no problem. It becomes a problem if the house isn't sold quickly.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Sorry, Mike, but I would rather see the boxes in the garage than stuffed closets. I am so glad that a majority of you feel that it isn't a big deal. Moving is very costly and I've been checking storage costs - I was surprised how much it has gone up. I month - no problem. It becomes a problem if the house isn't sold quickly.
I would not propose stuffing junk in closets.
If one is going to market a home in a cluttered state, it is better to have clutter in the garage or attic and to show the closets at their best.

If one is going to put their best foot forward to appeal to the greatest number of buyers, there will be no clutter, including any storage areas or garage.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 AM

4,099 posts, read 19,200,647 times
Having inspected thousands of homes, I can tell you that a garage stacked full of crap, sorry, BELONGINGS makes my job harder. Since the GFCI outlet is usually in a garage, and it often is the reset for exterior and bathroom outlets, it is sometimes impossible to get to it to restore power to those outlets (after testing).

Stuff stacked against the walls also makes the termite inspectors job much harder.

I really like the idea of stacking the stuff in the middle of the garage to resemble a car.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:58 AM

328 posts, read 552,989 times
I would not do that................
Want the buyer to have a positive impression that there is plenty of space in closets, rooms, etc.
If I was the buyer and saw the garage loaded, the first thing I would think is those boxes are what was in the house
and temporarily moved to the garage to show (mislead) the buyer the house. Makes one think about spaciousness and lack of storage room.
I have been there-rent a off site storage unit, they are cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or