Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times

Advertisements

So, if I am renovating or building a home in city A that I intend to live in , while renting a home in a neighboring city B, is it OK to send my kids to school in City A where I am renovating or building the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
This is a school district policy, not a real estate issue.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
So, if I am renovating or building a home in city A that I intend to live in...
Probably... subject to the local school board policies.

You can be certain they have experienced the scams in this and know what Q's to ask.
do you own the land outright?
is the building permit in place?
has ground been broken? foundation?

Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,632 times
You need to talk to the school and be honest with them about the situation. When my ex and I were building a house, yet still living in a different school district, we first talked to the principal. He asked many questions, including when the house would be finished. The school allowed us to begin the year in our new school so we wouldn't have to transfer the kids mid-year. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I know in my neck of the woods this is ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT OK AND THERE ARE NEVER ANY EXCEPTIONS. The long ugly history of this has been tested in the Illinois courts and schools districts have ALWAYS prevailed -- the the rationale is that is that ONLY verified physical residence can be in ONE place while folks can own multiple residences. In Illinois this not a "school by school" thing and "being honest" is not going to cause any exceptions. If you do not live inside the district boundaries there is ONLY one way around this in Illinois -- folks that are "homeless" including those living in a hotel ANYWHERE in the state are legally allowed to enroll in ANY district.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I know in my neck of the woods this is ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT OK AND THERE ARE NEVER ANY EXCEPTIONS. The long ugly history of this has been tested in the Illinois courts and schools districts have ALWAYS prevailed -- the the rationale is that is that ONLY verified physical residence can be in ONE place while folks can own multiple residences. In Illinois this not a "school by school" thing and "being honest" is not going to cause any exceptions. If you do not live inside the district boundaries there is ONLY one way around this in Illinois -- folks that are "homeless" including those living in a hotel ANYWHERE in the state are legally allowed to enroll in ANY district.
I have always lived in central Illinois and like I stated above, we were allowed to do this. We were supposed to close on our house in Nov, but didn't close til the end of Dec. We were completely honest with the school and kept them updated on the progress.

ETA: I am absolutely not trying to argue. I just wanted to state that things are a bit different where I live.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Suburban districts tend to have a lot folks trying to literally falsify addresses to attend schools in better districts, some districts have full-time staff to tracking down this sort of thing. I suspect that sort of does not happen frequently / at all in many downstate districts and consequently the rarity of folks living outside the district they wish to attend may allow them to create a procedure for what is truly an extraordinary occurrence.

The general documents required to support residency could of course be obtained by anyone merely having ownership of a property -- Community Consolidated School District 181 // About District 181 // Registration // New Student Registration

State of Illinois is clear on the legal exceptions -- http://www.isbe.state.il.us/homeless/pdf/residency.pdf

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/pdf/guidance_reg.pdf

Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
If you look up the registration policy on the district's site, you'll likely find that it's physical residence that is expected, not legal ownership of property. Obviously you could probably produce the documentation they ask for to show residence, but all it takes is one person to notice that your kids don't go home to that empty house every night and you've got a problem on your hands.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
I agree with Wendy, depends on the district and length of time prior to move-in and occupancy. We were able to do it in Spotsylvania, Virginia when our home was being built. We stayed in an apartment in the same County, but it would have been a different school. The principal allowed me to register the kids in the home for the house with the understanding I had to supply transportation.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Thanks, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate