U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,834,511 times

Advertisements

The worst was when this guy who was the homewoner told us we need to shut our baby up. Then he looked at our daughter and said I'ma get my dog on you lil girl. I was like WTF. My agent said she was pretty sure the guy was high.

The scariest is this foreclosed house went into where the people who left it went beserk. They slashed a bunch of pipes in the home flooded it. It was the creepiest thing ever, one of the walls had water running down it and the living room was flooded with a pool table with no legs partial submerged. Part of the ceiling was hanging down too. That house was definitely a hazard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,059,209 times
Well my stories don't at all compare to what I've read so far.

I've only visited maybe 5 or 6 houses and put an (accepted!!!) offer on one so not much opportunity to collect any good stories.

At one house that I viewed, one of the occupants was present (the owner's girlfriend I believe) who followed us through the entire viewing telling us everything wrong with the house. At the end of the tour she thanked us for stopping buy and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, he [the owner] really just wants to sell this place as fast as possible. He has it listed for $2XX,000 but he told me he really just wants to get $1XX,000 and get it over with." She really gave us the upper hand in negotiations. I imagine the owner probably wasn't too happy with her (if he found out).

Another house I viewed was a Homesteps property. Lovely house, everything was perfect: clean, new paint, new flooring, etc (Freddie Mac usually spruces the place up a little before listing). Yet, inexplicably, in the bathroom their were beard/hair clippings in the sink. We can't think of a single reason why there would be hair clippings in the sink. The bathroom was otherwise spotless. Did the painters/cleaners cut their hair while there? Did someone viewing the property decide to trim their beard? Did someone break into the house and dump hair trimmings? It was just...weird.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM

4,610 posts, read 7,095,313 times
I've posted this on another thread somewhere.

Chuckie Dolls....life-sized......boy Chuckies, girl Chuckies........baby, toddler, teen, adult sizes...... in all different types of outfits.

Just gave me the creeps!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 752,026 times
We gave up on viewing short sale properties after it became clear most of them weren't really for sale, the owners were just trying to buy time with the bank. This sank in on the last house we saw, where the owner was home, and had not cleaned up or anything, she just sat in her chair and carried on watching tv, as her ferret who was loose and running around the house pooped in the realtor's shoe.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM

4,203 posts, read 2,986,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Owner opened the door butt nekkid.

My husband told him, "maybe this isn't a good time?". Owner said, "no, no, no, come on in".

Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,125,481 times
I've got another one. My brother-in-law thought he would try his hand at selling real estate on weekends. He took a young couple to see a small home occupied by an elderly lady and her son, who had very recently been released from a mental institution. My brother-in-law peeks inside the front door and sees the son in the kitchen wielding, as he put it, "a butcher knife the size of a Buick." Needless to say, he tells his customers that he'll wait outside on the stoop while they look around inside. He decided not to give up his day job.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:20 PM

2,707 posts, read 3,637,792 times
These are FUNNY! Better than the stuff on TV. :-)

Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM

38,101 posts, read 36,886,163 times
We had had a lot of trouble coordinating a showing with one couple (FSBO) who traveled a lot. One Saturday we finally got a 10 am showing. But ... we were told one bedroom would be off limits because the owners' son, a senior in high school, was sleeping.

So the owner never made the kid get out of bed but instead told our agent to just "leave his bedroom door closed."

Of course, the cynic in me peeked in just to be sure it wasn't a marijuana grow room or something. It wasn't. The kid was sound asleep!

My dad would NEVER have let me get away with that.

We did buy the house, and found out later the dad had recently remarried and was rarely home. After we moved in we found a list of rules he typed up for the kid to abide by at home during the honeymooners' many weekend getaways.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 PM

4,705 posts, read 4,570,355 times
We looked at a lot of properties (cooperative units, not houses) but there aren't too many good stories to share.

We went to one where the person had listed it at a price that was too high considering the kitchen had to be gutted. The realtor told us if we wanted to make an offer, just subtract out the cost of a new kitchen and whatever other issues there were. We asked him if they allowed cats and he said he didn't know. He said, "Let me ask Mrs. So-and-So next door. She's very nice." He proceeds to knock on the door and grumpily, this old lady answers and he says, "Sorry to bother you. But do you know if they allow cats in the building?" The woman looks at us and says in an annoyed voice, "You have cats!?!" She rolled her eyes, said she didn't know and angrily walked away from the door mumbling to herself. I'm sure she would have been a fantastic next door neighbor who wouldn't complain about anything.

We went into another VERY overpriced property that needed a ton of work. Walking into it was like walking into a museum that tried to fill every crevice with crazy stuff. The rooms were all completely dark (because he had the windows covered), he had a faux (probably?) bear skin rug on the floor, dolls and all other kinds of crazy stuff covering the walls, a huge floor to ceiling fish tank/storage thing and pictures of naked ladies outside the kitchen. Instead of fixing anything (like the huge cracks in the walls), he just tried to cover them up and put bright blue tiles (like a pathway) over pre-existing tiles in the kitchen.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM

15,542 posts, read 23,607,780 times
We looked at a house that was an estate sale, and the heirs wasted no time. The floral arrangements from the funeral were all over the house and it looked and smelled like a funeral home. They didn't even remover the "beloved mother" banners from the arrangements - I mean it's like they literally drove from the cemetery to their first open house. It was priced about $50K below market but we passed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate