U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,690,675 times

Advertisements

What are some of the funniest or bizarre things that have happened when you were house hunting?

I had something really awkward happen last year. The homeowner had left what can only be described as adult toys clearly visible in the bedroom, as well as some XXX d DVDs out on the living room floor and coffee table, and some XXX magazines in the bathroom. My poor realtor was mortified and kept apologizing.

Funniest thing I've heard of... actually happened to my parents. They were house hunting, in town for a few days, so their realtor had lined up a bunch of appointments each day. They were on their way to the 5th or 6th house one day, rang the doorbell. Homeowner answered the door and was puzzled, said she didn't think the house was on the market. My parents' real estate agent insisted it was, and that they had an appointment. Mom and Dad toured the house, liked it, and told the agent they wanted to submit an offer.

When they went back to the realtor's office to write up an offer, their realtor realized she had transposed 2 digits in the street address earlier that day. The house they had looked at, that mom and dad loved, wasn't on the market, but one further down the street was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM

19,561 posts, read 52,960,347 times
I toured one house where the master bath's large counter top was covered with every makeup/grooming product known to man! Dirty clithes lying around the bath and bedroom. Obviously she spent every minute on her appearance and forgot the house.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,604,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
What are some of the funniest or bizarre things that have happened when you were house hunting?

I had something really awkward happen last year. The homeowner had left what can only be described as adult toys clearly visible in the bedroom, as well as some XXX d DVDs out on the living room floor and coffee table, and some XXX magazines in the bathroom. My poor realtor was mortified and kept apologizing.

Funniest thing I've heard of... actually happened to my parents. They were house hunting, in town for a few days, so their realtor had lined up a bunch of appointments each day. They were on their way to the 5th or 6th house one day, rang the doorbell. Homeowner answered the door and was puzzled, said she didn't think the house was on the market. My parents' real estate agent insisted it was, and that they had an appointment. Mom and Dad toured the house, liked it, and told the agent they wanted to submit an offer.

When they went back to the realtor's office to write up an offer, their realtor realized she had transposed 2 digits in the street address earlier that day. The house they had looked at, that mom and dad loved, wasn't on the market, but one further down the street was!
Hilarious!

Once, we looked at a house for sale with an agent, that turned out to be an utter pigsty.

My DW and I noticed a couple of familiar faces in a portrait hanging on the livingroom wall.

We were shocked to find out that the house belonged to a couple we knew. They both dressed impeccably!

We also looked at a house which appeared to be owned by a couple of real swingers.

The master bedroom/massive bed was visible to the livingroom through a huge peep window.

There were other 'things' that gave us that impression as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,125,481 times
We saw a home on a 100-degree day that was in such disarray and smelled so bad that I was up in the oven-like attic and didn't want to come down. That was almost 15 years ago and, to this day, my wife and I still refer to the place -- since remodeled -- as "the smelly house."

Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM

3,248 posts, read 4,453,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hilarious!

Once, we looked at a house for sale with an agent, that turned out to be an utter pigsty.

My DW and I noticed a couple of familiar faces in a portrait hanging on the livingroom wall.

We were shocked to find out that the house belonged to a couple we knew. They both dressed impeccably!
Those are both hilarious stories!

I have had a lot of pretty bad experiences where houses were filthy, owners wouldn't leave and made things awkward, the appointment was surprisingly double booked, etc., but nothing as amusing as those!

I just wish other agents would warn me when the owners are going to be there or if they are going to double or triple book my appointment. I find both practices rude and yet they happen to me pretty often.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM

9,793 posts, read 15,759,804 times
When DH & I were looking at condos two years ago one had modified the master bath shower... it had a huge picture window open to the bedroom! The realtor was embarrassed, DH & I are old marrieds and laughed.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM

48 posts, read 103,814 times
My husband and I were looking at homes last year and while walking through one, the owner came STORMING into the house SCREAMIMG about our car in the driveway and how we needed to move it NOWWWWWW....
We were in the garage at the time and stepped back into the kitchen find out what was going on and apologize.
She looked SHOCKED that strangers were standing in her home. She apparently forgot that she had a showing and thought her daughter's friend had parked in her spot in the driveway. Scared the HECK out of us. lol.
Luckily, our Realtor realized she grew up with the woman and it kind of broke the ice, in an uncomfortable situation.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 PM

8,060 posts, read 7,044,659 times
15 years ago we were looking in a really nice neighborhood at a beautiful house that was out of our price range, but our realtor thought we could afford it after some negotiation.

Then we walked in and found out why.

Every single bedroom door frame had been busted and there were holes in the walls around one of the bedroom doors. Odd.

We walked in one bedroom (had a padlock on the outside - one you need a key for). We thought it was a little weird. We went in, looked around (pretty room, lots of stuff everywhere, but obviously a teenaged girls room) looked around, and the realtor told me to open the closet door to see what a big walk in it was. I opened the door and the teenager jumped up and out from under a blanket and I almost had my baby right then and there.

We thank them for letting us see their house and when we get back in the realtor's car she tells us that apparently the couple had an unruly/out of control (sneaking out at night type) teenaged daughter on their hands and her younger siblings would lock themselves in their bedrooms to get away from her and she would bust the doors down. We were also told the padlock was the 5th or 6th one installed by her older boyfriend, she wouldn't give up the key to her parents, and they had given up on removing them and her locking them out of her room at that point.

-----------------------------

Not a house hunting story, and I'm pretty sure I've relayed this before, so I apologize for the repeat:

We were a few weeks away from closing on a property where the owner had claimed bankruptcy. He was a little "off", but very nice. He agreed to let my husband come one afternoon to measure the rooms in the house.

I stayed in the car (very pregnant with #3, and it was HOT outside, didn't want to get out if owner forgot and wasn't home).

I see the door open, my husband turns and tells me to stay in the car, has a few more words with the owner, walks off the porch, around the house and in to the backyard. I thought nothing of it.

Owner opened the door butt nekkid.

My husband told him, "maybe this isn't a good time?". Owner said, "no, no, no, come on in". My husband then told him he wanted to check something out in the backyard real quick, so he'd be right in. To give him some time to cover up.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-14-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 PM

7,050 posts, read 16,720,743 times
Let's see...

1. Nasty, used tampons on the floor in the master bathroom.
2. People in bed though I had knocked, rang the doorbell, and announced myself.
3. Lady walking the house in a towel because she didn't hear same as above announcement.
4. Went for the final walk thru and seller was strutting around the house naked.
5. Marijuana and rolling papers on the coffee table.

6. My buyers were driving for me one day (brought their 5 kids along and we didn't all fit in my car), and the buyer pulled up to a house with a for sale sign... we looked at the house, they loved it... it was the wrong house as we should have been a few houses down... house was $50k above their price so they were disappointed. Now, I always match the picture of the house with what I see when we pull up.

Too many more to list them all...

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,690,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
...when we get back in the realtor's car she tells us that apparently the couple had an unruly/out of control (sneaking out at night type) teenaged daughter on their hands and her younger siblings would lock themselves in their bedrooms to get away from her and she would bust the doors down. We were also told the padlock was the 5th or 6th one installed by her older boyfriend, she wouldn't give up the key to her parents, and they had given up on removing them and her locking them out of her room at that point.
I'd forgotten about this until now, but your post reminded me. My mom considered buying a house a few years ago, where the homeowner not only had a padlock on the fridge and some of the cabinets, but also had locks on the bedroom doors, so she could lock the kids in their rooms. My mom freaked out and called Child Protective; if something had happened to the homeowner or if there was a fire, there was no way those kids could have gotten out, let alone gone to the bathroom (there was no en suite).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate