Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 AM

47 posts, read 108,208 times

Advertisements

I am under a lot of pressure from my parents to insert an as-is clause into my buy-sell when I go to do the deal on the house.

Everything I'm reading has basically stated the only thing the as-is clause does is say to the buyer you don't intend to fix anything that might come up in the inspection. However the buyer can still do inspections and can still ask to have something fixed. The buyer or seller can still walk away at that point if they can't reach an agreement. So I'm not sure exactly what this clause even accomplishes in the first place.

My parents want me to insert the clause to protect me post sale. From two possible situations. A defect I didn't disclose because I was unaware of it. Or a situation where something like a water heater or furnace quits three weeks after they move in and they come to me asking for repairs.

Is this clause really worth inserting and if so why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Just my opinion...First, you can't disclose a defect if you are unaware of it and, if you are unaware, the buyer would not be able to prove that you didn't disclose a known defect so I think your parents are well-meaning but overly-cautious on this point. In Florida, the difference between As Is and a "normal" contract is that an As Is contract has no contractual obligation on the part of the seller to fix a warranty item that is found to be defective as a result of the inspection process. So, for example, if the inspection were to turn up a defective water heater, under a "normal" contract, the seller would be contractually obligated to fix the water heater up at a cost not to excede a repair limit defined by the contract. Under an As Is contract, the seller has no obligation to fix the item but may elect to do so IF the buyer asks. For some buyers, "As Is" is a red flag. For others, not so much.
Regarding the possibility that there could be a post-closing failure, a home warranty that you provide could possibly make the "As Is" concerns more palatable but, in either case, it would be very difficult for a buyer to sue and win so it is is not likely to be an issue, as long as you are honest and forthcoming in your disclosures.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
As is would not remove your liability for any defect that you ARE aware of and didn't disclose.

As is could be interpreted by potential buyers as a sign that there are thought to be significant problems with the house.

I'm not in your state- but- my inclination would be to be accurate with the disclosures and to omit the as-is language.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
So, for example, if the inspection were to turn up a defective water heater, under a "normal" contract, the seller would be contractually obligated to fix the water heater up at a cost not to excede a repair limit defined by the contract.
I appreciate the replies so far and the explanations. I do have a question about this.

Is the above stating that under a normal sales contract if something comes up in the inspection I am *required* to fix it at that point - no matter what? I can't back out of the sale at that point if I don't want to fix whatever this item might be? Does that also remove the right of the buyer to forgo having that defect fixed and go forward with the sale anyway?

Am I reading to much into this? Thanks

Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Get a copy of your Board of Realtor's contract...city or state or whatever is typically used in your area and check it out.

FYI, not fixing some items can preclude some forms of financing that want certain conditions working/looking good/etc. in their homes. (Think of it as the banks/lender's home and how they look at it, rather than the sellers here)

Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post
I appreciate the replies so far and the explanations. I do have a question about this.

Is the above stating that under a normal sales contract if something comes up in the inspection I am *required* to fix it at that point - no matter what? I can't back out of the sale at that point if I don't want to fix whatever this item might be? Does that also remove the right of the buyer to forgo having that defect fixed and go forward with the sale anyway?

Am I reading to much into this? Thanks
It depends on the language in your "normal" contract. In ours, the buyer and seller negotiate a repair dollar limit at the time of the original negotiation, and the types of repairs considered to be warrantable (rather than cosmetic) are generally defined. If the cost to repair falls below the limit, the seller gets it done. If it exceeds the limit, there are further options written into the contract language.

Look at it this way, if there are problems found in the inspection of a "normal" contract property, even if they didn't want to make the repairs, the seller would still have to disclose the now known defects to the next prospective buyer and those will probably result in a lower price, if there is another contract later. It's probably best to negotiate a decent deal and keep the buyer by *reasonably* getting the deal done, whatever it takes.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Thank you I appreciate the advice/information.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
You could probably accomplish the same thing as an "As Is" listing, by inserting "Firm Price." The question is, 'Is either condition what you intend?' Recognize that "As Is" infers obvious problems that you do not intend to rectify, while "Firm Price" suggests a non-negotiable listing. Part of the fallacy with these 'disqualifiers,' is the misperception that the intent of a listing is to 'sell' the property, instead of 'attract potential buyers'. (People often make the same mistake with resumes, thus eliminating themselves from consideration before they even get an interview).

Your best bet is to make your listing as attractive as possible by eliminating any obstacles that might keep you from attracting potential lookers/buyers. A serious buyer can always 'ask you to fix something' or 'sell for less' (whether you have the 'clause' or not) ... and you can always accept or decline either. But, if you drive them away before/without looking, you have unnecessarily eliminated their opportunity to consider your property ... and your potential opportunity to consider their offer.

Last edited by jghorton; 05-16-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Unless your State specifically has something defining "AS IS", it means nothing but whatever you want it to mean in the contract. Understand that what you may want it to mean, may not be what a buyer takes it to mean.

My personal opinion is when I see "As Is", I take it to mean the seller knows of things wrong with the property and is too cheap or does not have any money to fix them. There are way to many properties for sale without an "As Is" condition, so to me, it's not even worth looking at unless the asking price is really low.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Selling a property as is does not eliminate your need to disclose that you have a problem with your sewer line. If you sell it as is and they have the house back up and flood sewage through out 8 months later then they can try to come after you.

Best bet is to disclose everything you know of and wait to get an offer, if the offer is acceptable then you can see what repair limits they are asking for in the contract if the contract has a spot for repair limits. Why eliminate potential buyers that may want $200 in repairs done? Your sewer may be an issue but if you disclose they can make their offer with the sewer problems in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate