U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,946,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"I thought it was smart and didn't violate any ethics."
I don't think I can repeat this often enough to grasp it.

Wow. Just wow. What a truly sad commentary on personal ethical standards...

Lol I'd have to agree. Seems the bar gets lower and lower.

There are always better ways to take pictures and without being critical there is room for improvement in these. When you look at the listings on the local MLS, generally the entries are lacking. The images that can be helped the most of Becky's are dining room, bedroom and the outside. For the record, NEVER look directly into a camera, it will do you no favors, face away, eyes towards... same is true of a home. (less the eyes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 17,408,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am not saying you should do it, but someone I know who recently sold his house went to Target and bought a bunch of decor along with modern look bedding, frames, pictures, and put everyting on, took pictures, packed everything an returned to Target within a day. I thought it was smart and didn't violate any ethics.
Quote:
Why? I didn't do it, but would consider if I would need to sell a house. I don't see how different is it from someone buying some decor, try it at home to see it's not working (size/color/whatever reasons) and return it. I guess I am so unethical by returning unwanted things... Last time I went to Target I bought 3 different panels of curtains, tried them in my bedroom, decided which one I like and exchanges 2 unwanted for 2 wanted. I guess I should keep everything I am buyng and don't like to keep.

Purchasing products that you know you will be using for staging a home and then returning them is completely unethical and how you see otherwise is beyond me, especially for someone who has continually questioned the ethics of Realtors.
The purchaser of these items has made the store pay at least 4 workers between checking out the item and returning it, for something the buyer had no intention of ever keeping.
Purchasing different colors of an item you are going to purchase or seriously considering purchasing and then returning the colors you can not use is completely different, your intent is to actually purchase something.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,729,238 times
Quote:
Why??? Can you tell if the vase or picture frame were used by someone??? As for bedding - nobody slept using that bedding and comforter and pillow cases were used just to take pictures. It's like staging home. Nobody is saying to use for weeks and return, but to take pictures only. There is nothing wrong with it IMO
Seriously?!?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
OK. IF we can take a break from Remedial Pre-K Ethical Training for a moment.......

Becky, if you cannot hire a pro, you are getting some other good advice here.
Being a bit over-furnished makes the house look tighter and smaller than it probably is.

If you cannot get your hands on a camera with a wider-angle lens, you must step back out of the room as far as possible to show as much of it as you can. I often shoot foyers when standing on the front stoop, or kitchens from outside a patio door. I go as far as I can, until I see the door frame or a wall surface intruding.
At least scrunch yourself back into a corner, or squat and hold your camera over your head and as far into the corner as you can to maximize the width of the field of view.

Lighting is important. Your photos are dark and could present your home better. Your flash reflects off too many surfaces and is distracting.
Turn on every light in the house for your photos. In the living room, turn the pole lamp so the light hits the wall or floor, but not directly at the camera. Shoot interior when the direct light is not on the windows, early or late in the day.

Partially open the blinds to let light in, but practice tilting them so the light is controlled somewhat. I will often visit a home at different times in the day to see it and shoot it when the sun is not directly on the windows. You live there, so that should be easy. If the sun comes up in front, and sets in back, shoot the back interior in the morning, and the front interior in the evening. You will have some natural light without as much glare from windows.

You might try shooting dark rooms from an angle where the window light enters the room and lights it, but you are not shooting directly at the window. That will deliver benefit of the light but help avoid the bad glare of bright daylight against darker walls or draperies.

IMG_5009 by mikejaquish, on Flickr

I like that photo^^^^^^^ more than this photo:

IMG_5007 by mikejaquish, on Flickr

Some of your photos need to be straightened.
GOOG Picasa has a free editor with that function, along with many others:
https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/156342
You can also lighten by "adding flash" in an editor, but this can be overdone.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-20-2013 at 06:16 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 AM

775 posts, read 1,016,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Here's another angle:
I like the side angle shot better here

Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't think I can repeat this often enough to grasp it.

Wow. Just wow. What a truly sad commentary on personal ethical standards...
Yeah, that is really shady. Who does that?!

Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Why??? Can you tell if the vase or picture frame were used by someone??? As for bedding - nobody slept using that bedding and comforter and pillow cases were used just to take pictures. It's like staging home. Nobody is saying to use for weeks and return, but to take pictures only. There is nothing wrong with it IMO
They put brand new bedding on a bed and returned it?!?! And you see nothing wrong with that?
Jesus

Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,090,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
They put brand new bedding on a bed and returned it?!?! And you see nothing wrong with that?
Jesus
Have you ever bought something and return it to the store before??? I don't see a problem taking out a comforter out of the package to take a picture and then put it back in the bag

Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Yeah, that is really shady. Who does that?!
People with no moral compass or ethical mentoring in their lives.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Have you ever bought something and return it to the store before??? I don't see a problem taking out a comforter out of the package to take a picture and then put it back in the bag
Yes, but I didnt put it on my bed where I sleep unless I am keeping it. I have pets and kids and would never put new items, out of the package onto my bed even for pictures only to return to the store (unwashed and USED) so someone else can open it and put it on their bed.
Some folks have pets, kids, bedbugs and smoke...to think someone would do that and return the item is unethical, tacky and somene who just plain has no etiquette whatsoever.
You remind me of a lady I saw in the grocery store once. She was OPENING jars of spaghetti sauce and smelling them, closing the jar and putting it back on the shelf. Clueless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or