U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,366 times

Advertisements

Hi I am in the process of buying a house.

Last week I toured some resales and a new house with a realtor. At the end of the trip I had the realtor submit an offer on the new house.

But since the realtor does not refund commission, I decided not to use her service. I still thinking about whether to do it myself or hire a realtor who refunds commission.

I informed the builder's sales rep and the realtor. The sales rep told me this:

Also, just for your protection, since xxxxxxxx (the realtor) registered you at the community, showed you the home and brought us an offer from you she would be able to come after you directly to be paid her commission (from you ….not from us if you bought this home and did not put her on the deal). She would probably win, and then you (not us, if she wasn’t on the deal) may have to pay the 3% commission to her). So be careful what you do in that case (whether you buy this home or another that was showed to you by a licensed Realtor).

This sound incredibly unfair and unreasonable. She and I never signed any contract, and yet I am bound to pay her commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM

10 posts, read 22,862 times
She took you through houses and then submitted an offer for you? You DID use her services, and she has the right to expect the commission.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 AM

422 posts, read 637,226 times
My understanding is if a realtor shows you anything, they are entitled to commission. These are realtor rules, she isn't making them up.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,340,139 times
Yes. She presented the offer, she gets paid. It doesn't come at a cost with you if she's included though since you mentioned you are thinking of doing it yourself. The community pays her at their cost. I never heard of a realtor refunding their commission so I can't advise you on that

You can go to any other community as well and not be obligated to use/pay her.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM

5,682 posts, read 7,271,193 times
I'm confused...why would you expect her to refund the commission?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,297,484 times
I do not understand at all. The Seller pays the Realtor a commission, not the buyer.

In addition, when you had the Realtor submit an offer, she was performing a service and is entitled to payment for that service.

Why would you want to stiff the person who took time out to show you around and write up an offer for you?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM

Default Realtor says she is due commission even if she is not on the deal

Hi I am in the process of buying a house in North Carolina.

Last week I toured some resales and a new house with a realtor. At the end of the trip I had the realtor submit an offer on the new house.

But since the realtor does not refund a portion of the commission, I decided not to use her service. I am still thinking about whether to do it myself or hire a realtor who refunds commission.

I informed the builder's sales rep and the realtor. The sales rep told me this:

Also, just for your protection, since xxxxxxxx (the realtor) registered you at the community, showed you the home and brought us an offer from you she would be able to come after you directly to be paid her commission (from you ….not from us if you bought this home and did not put her on the deal). She would probably win, and then you (not us, if she wasn’t on the deal) may have to pay the 3% commission to her). So be careful what you do in that case (whether you buy this home or another that was showed to you by a licensed Realtor).

This sound unfair and unreasonable. She and I never signed any contract, and yet I am bound to pay her commission?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM

4,146 posts, read 8,393,376 times
Are you sure you didn't sign anything with her when you submitted your offer?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Are you sure you didn't sign anything with her when you submitted your offer?
No. I told her it is just an informal offer to test the builder's response. I did not put my signature on anything.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,096,373 times
no matter what your realtor will get her/his money if you decided to go with any property that realtor showed you and made an offer for...Even if you find a new realtor, he/she will have to split it with your old realtor and will ask you upfront if you had anyone already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate