Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,465,595 times

Advertisements

We had a couple nit pick our 1928 house... to the tune of $33,000 dollars in "repairs" after the inspection report. Mainly they wanted things up to code (which is hard to do in a building that old as it is expensive). It's been completely remodeled and we even gave them an inspection report that we received when we bought it... and it's shorter than the inspection report they received because of all the work we did. They had plumbers inspect the plumbing AND sewer system to add to the cost of repairs they wanted. AND they had the chimney inspected and decided they wanted a new chimney... $8,000 even though they rent the place and have never used the fireplace because it's sealed... We told them to pound sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:50 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,144,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
We had a couple nit pick our 1928 house... to the tune of $33,000 dollars in "repairs" after the inspection report. Mainly they wanted things up to code (which is hard to do in a building that old as it is expensive). It's been completely remodeled and we even gave them an inspection report that we received when we bought it... and it's shorter than the inspection report they received because of all the work we did. They had plumbers inspect the plumbing AND sewer system to add to the cost of repairs they wanted. AND they had the chimney inspected and decided they wanted a new chimney... $8,000 even though they rent the place and have never used the fireplace because it's sealed... We told them to pound sand.
LOL, can't blame them for trying eh?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 PM

582 posts, read 2,008,712 times
Jenne, offer to leave them the lamps in the living room. As for the mud, use your carpet cleaner and inform them that since the mud was brought in by them that you will not pay to have the carpet cleaned. If they insist on having the work done or getting money for it, go onto craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events and find some people to do the work cheap and just have it done if you really want to move. They want $3k? Get the work done for $500-600 and laugh about it on your way out of the closing.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:54 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,715,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
Get the work done for $500-600 and laugh about it on your way out of the closing.
Be careful advising this because you are assuming the buyer will roll over and accept whatever you counter with.

Remember, offers are at a premium these days for sellers.

Believe me, the buyers that bought my house were young first time home buyers and wanted everything perfect. What a pain in the you know what.

This is where the quality of your realtor comes in to try and work w/the buyers' agent. What's the feedback there? Hopefully your realtor is not telling you to give into everything just to make a quick sale.

All I'm saying is be careful here...

Old 11-04-2007, 06:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,893,102 times
Move the stairs because they are at the wrong angle? I've never heard of that. This business is sooo interesting!
All of the things he's asking for depend on what your contract says. Contracts I use do not give the buyer the ability to walk without loosing their escrow or demand repairs for anything but safety, code and structural issues. Cosmetic issues to not apply. Your Realtor or attorney should be able to advise you what is and isn't covered in the contract. He's still negotiating and your Realtor should be advising you.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 AM

582 posts, read 2,008,712 times
I didn't mean do everything, but some of it can be done very cheaply through people who advertise on craigslist, because they often offer discounts to people who find them on there.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 AM

23,852 posts, read 33,506,779 times
IMO, I would rather use someone that I can get feedback on vs using someone off of craigslists. What if you get some kook?

There's a post on CD about people being taken by someone posting at craigslists. Even though they got taken for concert tickets & other goods, one never knows.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 AM

19 posts, read 58,707 times
My previous post did not appear or was edited out.
All the items listed ARE thing that could have been a problem issue.
I will not go down the list for you but just talk about one.
The carpet cleaning.
Fact: Some people have houses that stink. The house may stink because of indoor animals or perhaps there is poor house keeping. Some people are just pigs and do have dirty/ stained carpet.
Since the inspector found only 17 items he was not really looking very hard.
A typical quality inspection report for a property of 5 or more years old could easily yield 100 plus problems. Even new properties by a bad builder could have 100 plus problems.
Many of them could be very serious regardless of the age of the property or how it has been maintained.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:33 AM

333 posts, read 1,990,936 times
Or maybe my house is in excellent condition and there was nothing else to find...I really find it hard to believe that light switches that weren't place in the living room are a serious issue.

I am trying to believe you were just talking in general about carpet cleaning ...not calling me a pig. My carpets are fine. They do not smell. I have had many people in my house who do not have pets and they always comment on how nice my house smells. I also own a carpet shampooer...so i guarantee those carpets are very clean.

Anyway I do not think all those issues were serious and neither did the agents..both agents.

Anyway, it all worked out..

Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,964,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
My previous post did not appear or was edited out.
All the items listed ARE thing that could have been a problem issue.
I will not go down the list for you but just talk about one.
The carpet cleaning.
Fact: Some people have houses that stink. The house may stink because of indoor animals or perhaps there is poor house keeping. Some people are just pigs and do have dirty/ stained carpet.
Since the inspector found only 17 items he was not really looking very hard.
A typical quality inspection report for a property of 5 or more years old could easily yield 100 plus problems. Even new properties by a bad builder could have 100 plus problems.
Many of them could be very serious regardless of the age of the property or how it has been maintained.
Or the house has been exceptionally well built, well maintained, and have few or no structural or safety issues. You seem to be very negative. How could you know what the home looked like from behind your computer screen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate