U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,108,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
Dont think the OP was asking for your sympathy, just wanted to know liability of commission.

Selling a home is emotional and people change their mind and "delist". Nothing wrong with it, nor do most "standard" listing agreements prohibit it (as long as you dont relist with some another agent or FSBO to a buyer who was saw the home during the listing period).

OP, not sure about your listing agreement, but many contracts state that the seller is liable for paying listing agent X% commission if agent delivers a ready, willing and able buyer. Technically a sale does not need to occur. But the buyer must be willing to pay list price with no contingencies. Bottom line, if you have a buyer with any contingencies or an offer below listing, you probably are not liable for the commission.

Read the contact, it probably has verbiage to this effect. Also note that the stated commission to the listing agent is probably not broken down into a commission for listing and buyer agent, it is just one total commission (such as 6%). Typically the seller is liable for paying the entire commission (6%) to the listing agent who then pays the buyer agent their share (some predetermined amount that the seller may not know). If their is no buyer agent, you still owe the listing agent 6% (agent get an extra 3%) unless specified otherwise. Most sellers dont realize this.
I believe I agree with this.

Another issue...what's this about the listing agent deciding when to look at offers? If she's that much in control, watch out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:21 PM

363 posts, read 376,472 times
Thank you RE Skeptic and Cully! You're both right, all l I wanted was an answer to my question. All of the editorializing on forums such as this, isn't terribly helpful, and just gets tedious.

My mum is an older lady. At times, these decisions can be more difficult than for someone younger. Update: the listing was pulled and mum wasn't out any money. We've given this agent a lot of business, including the sale of my house back in December (she got the full 6% commission); because of this experience, we will continue to give her our business in the future.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,108,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
Thank you RE Skeptic and Cully! You're both right, all l I wanted was an answer to my question. All of the editorializing on forums such as this, isn't terribly helpful, and just gets tedious.

My mum is an older lady. At times, these decisions can be more difficult than for someone younger. Update: the listing was pulled and mum wasn't out any money. We've given this agent a lot of business, including the sale of my house back in December (she got the full 6% commission); because of this experience, we will continue to give her our business in the future.
So glad it worked out for you and your mum. All the best.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 AM

3,034 posts, read 5,547,177 times
So is father called, "Dud" ???

Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 AM

30,728 posts, read 53,763,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post

And that is why almost all agents would do exactly what your agent did.
Smart lady to provide you with a good outcome.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 PM

66 posts, read 115,173 times
if she doesnt want to sell it, put the price very high, nobody wants to buy it then the contract expired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate