U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 AM

6,205 posts, read 6,431,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
If you want a Radon test to pass, just leave a few windows in the house open. Do it at night when no one can see.
What I was told when you do that this particular detector can detect and record when it thinks windows and doors are open and or a different climate is present at a certain amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 AM

12,742 posts, read 17,915,683 times
Default The "science" is weak

What is a dangerous level of radon

Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,532,496 times
The home we purchased has a radon mitigation system installed. We at first new very little about it and did a lot of internet research. When we had out home inspection we paid the extra $100 for the test, the inspector also checked the system and said it's running well and was installed properly. The number you want is below 4 I believe and our test revealed levels at .5. After that we were much more confident about it. The system sits in the back corner of the house, is not very visible, and is quiet. It costs as much as a low wattage light bulb to run and requires no maintenance aside from checking to ensure the motor is working and there is a vacuum.

If there is a concern or if you just want piece of mind, pay for the test. It's only a small $ compared to all the other costs associate with home buying. Ours was installed only 2.5 years ago as part of the sale agreement from the current owners.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM

4,099 posts, read 19,192,607 times
People that set out to cheat people are kind of low in my opinion. I see it all the time where someone has opened windows, or run fans, or moved the monitor, trying to cheat the test, and cheat the potential buyers of their house.
The monitors have tamper sensors built in, so I can tell if the monitor was touched. Since I get an hourly readout, I can see if there were unnatural fluctuations during the test. If the machine shows a tamper, or I suspect tampering in any way, I will invalidate the test, and we will do it over.

Last edited by Barking Spider; 05-29-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 PM

8,885 posts, read 6,562,337 times
Radon levels can be affected when it rains. There is a low threshold when it comes to a remediation system being required. Usually the tester is a seperate entity than the company that puts in the system. Test results can be altered when a door or window is opened but the new test equipment takes such things into consideration.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 PM

12,742 posts, read 17,915,683 times
Default Which is why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Since I get an hourly readout, I can see if there were unnatural fluctuations during the test.
I moved a fan next to the testing device and opened all the windows while you were walking out the door.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
People that set out to cheat people are kind of low in my opinion. I see it all the time where someone has opened windows, or run fans, or moved the monitor, trying to cheat the test, and cheat the potential buyers of their house.
The monitors have tamper sensors built in, so I can tell if the monitor was touched. Since I get an hourly readout, I can see if there were unnatural fluctuations during the test. If the machine shows a tamper, or I suspect tampering in any way, I will invalidate the test, and we will do it over.
A radon test is now being performed in our basement. A totally disabled person lives in that basement. The inspection took place yesterday while this test is taking place and had my agent call them and tell them a radon test is taking place in which they opened windows, outside doors and left the basement door opened. I even placed a sign on the door explaining the presence of a radon test. I've done plenty of reading on the subject and have come to the conclusion its nothing but a racket. There is absolutely to proof that basements in homes kill its occupants, not even close. And I'm not saying this simply because I'm inconvenienced.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM

4,434 posts, read 7,680,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
There is absolutely no proof that basements in homes kill its occupants, not even close. And I'm not saying this simply because I'm inconvenienced.
There is plenty of proof. You're just ignorant of the reports.

Radon is a radioactive gas released from the normal decay of the elements uranium, thorium, and radium in rocks and soil.

Radon was identified as a health problem when scientists noted that underground uranium miners who were exposed to it died of lung cancer at high rates. The results of miner studies have been confirmed by experimental animal studies, which show higher rates of lung tumors among rodents exposed to high radon levels.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
There is plenty of proof. You're just ignorant of the reports.

Radon is a radioactive gas released from the normal decay of the elements uranium, thorium, and radium in rocks and soil.

Radon was identified as a health problem when scientists noted that underground uranium miners who were exposed to it died of lung cancer at high rates. The results of miner studies have been confirmed by experimental animal studies, which show higher rates of lung tumors among rodents exposed to high radon levels.
I will say again there is no proof. Time and time again, over and over those with lung cancer are miners not some stiff sitting in his basement and many of those who did have lung cancer smoked. Its a farce and nothing more than a make work busy bee bullchit, and I have read the reports and even the EPA can not conclude Radon in a basement will cause lung cancer. Most European countries threshold is higher than the US. Ours being so low as to freak out the general population forcing compliance. As I stated earlier, target granite countertops for radon, but you know damn well that wont happen.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:18 AM

2,235 posts, read 4,618,629 times
> EPA can not conclude Radon in a basement will cause lung cancer.

For a long time the tobacco companies argued that there was no proof that cigarettes cause cancer.

As a scientist- I see the following: (1) radon is produced by decay of minerals (2) radon is known to have caused cancer in some settings (3) radon can be measured and mitigated at reasonable cost. I don't need proof beyond an unreasonable doubt.

By the way the website cited

What is a dangerous level of radon

contains suspect reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate