Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:06 AM

25 posts, read 36,905 times

Advertisements

I got pre-approved for a HomePath property that I bid over by a few thousand dollars. I was told by my lending officer that the bank would be able to do full financing for what I offered. I was told I would be able to bring in 3% to closing. But now that my loan has gone into underwriting, now the lender is saying I have to actually bring in a 10% downpayment, which will be about $7,000 more dollars than I expected. Nothing has changed with my financial state or the property (as far as I know). Can they do this with a HomePath property? This will be my primary residence, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,279,523 times
It all depends on your assets, your debt, your credit score the type of loan you applied for and your income.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,935,497 times
At what figure did the appraisal come back?

That could be your answer right there.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,139,599 times
Sounds like the loan officer initially gave you the best case scenario, then after full review of your finances, plus the the overbid, you will need a larger DP. This is not uncommon, especially when you make your estimates on best case vs. worst case estimates.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,596,530 times
Maybe they don't offer homepath loans anymore. Your the customer, bring your business to a different homepath approved lender.

It could be any number of different reasons. What was their explanation?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 AM

25 posts, read 36,905 times
It's a HomePath property so the minimum downpayment is 3%, but my lender said that based on my credit score I would be required to bring in 10%, even though I qualified for a HomePath mortgage. Also, there is no appraisal on HomePath properties.

I told my lender that I didn't bid on a HomePath property just to bring in over $10K. If I had known that, I would've tried to get a conventional loan or something. But HomePath properties are attractive to some buyers specifically because they don't have a large downpayment.

Also, I understand credit score is important, but other than my student loans (which total less than $5000), I don't owe anyone. I have one open line of credit that has a zero balance, and have been on my job going on three years. I've also managed to save well into five digits in those two years of working. I shouldn't have to deplete my savings to bring in such a high downpayment.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 AM

244 posts, read 743,947 times
You answered the question yourself. It has nothing to do with it being a homepath property. It has to do with your credit and debt to income. Also, just because homepath loans do not require appraisals , you should still get one on your own to protect yourself.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM

2,150 posts, read 5,139,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godavs21 View Post
It's a HomePath property so the minimum downpayment is 3%, but my lender said that based on my credit score I would be required to bring in 10%, even though I qualified for a HomePath mortgage. Also, there is no appraisal on HomePath properties.

I told my lender that I didn't bid on a HomePath property just to bring in over $10K. If I had known that, I would've tried to get a conventional loan or something. But HomePath properties are attractive to some buyers specifically because they don't have a large downpayment.

Also, I understand credit score is important, but other than my student loans (which total less than $5000), I don't owe anyone. I have one open line of credit that has a zero balance, and have been on my job going on three years. I've also managed to save well into five digits in those two years of working. I shouldn't have to deplete my savings to bring in such a high downpayment.
I have two things to say about this post. First you and your re agent were not on the same page. I do not know who is at fault, but your agent should have explained to you the situation AND should have reviewed your pre-qual (with you or your LO) before placing the bid to make sure you were using the best program for you.

Secondly, you can still request a change in your financing from HP to FHA or Conv. Fannie Mae may not like it, or even say no, but I have seen it happen many times were they allowed the change as long as you are not delaying closing.

Again, your agent should be on top of this.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM

6,394 posts, read 10,193,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post

Most Realtors are NOT mortgage brokers and not qualified to offer such advice in my opinion. That falls to the lender or mortgage broker.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-02-2013, 01:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,084,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I have two things to say about this post. First you and your re agent were not on the same page. I do not know who is at fault, but your agent should have explained to you the situation AND should have reviewed your pre-qual (with you or your LO) before placing the bid to make sure you were using the best program for you.

Secondly, you can still request a change in your financing from HP to FHA or Conv. Fannie Mae may not like it, or even say no, but I have seen it happen many times were they allowed the change as long as you are not delaying closing.

I don't see how an agent could have known this would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate