Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

I have recently received 3 "All Cash Offers" on my home for sale.

One of them had to sell their house first, and it wasn't even on the market yet. One was in escrow and had a contingency for that to close, and the other was going to do a refinance on their house to get the money, but hadn't started it yet.

People please. "All cash" means that you have the money in your hot little bank account and can turn it over immediately. If you have to get a mortgage or sell a house to get the cash, you are not making an "all cash offer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have recently received 3 "All Cash Offers" on my home for sale.

One of them had to sell their house first, and it wasn't even on the market yet. One was in escrow and had a contingency for that to close, and the other was going to do a refinance on their house to get the money, but hadn't started it yet.

People please. "All cash" means that you have the money in your hot little bank account and can turn it over immediately. If you have to get a mortgage or sell a house to get the cash, you are not making an "all cash offer".
I would agree.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM

244 posts, read 747,658 times
I sort of agree. Even cash offers can have contingencies but with that being said you have to weigh the offers and talk to your agent about putting contingencies in on your part such as you can keep marketing the property and accept a better offer if one comes in. This can work in your favor knowing you have a bird in hand.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I just think they are distinguishing between having to get a mortgage or not. To me the first two are all cash offers as no mortgage is needed. The last one no since they need a "loan" to get the money.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I just think they are distinguishing between having to get a mortgage or not. To me the first two are all cash offers as no mortgage is needed. The last one no since they need a "loan" to get the money.
I would agree with that. A "cash offer" is one where you are not financing the purchase. The cash being immediately available or not does not affect what payment vehicle you are choosing.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
I sort of agree. Even cash offers can have contingencies but with that being said you have to weigh the offers and talk to your agent about putting contingencies in on your part such as you can keep marketing the property and accept a better offer if one comes in. This can work in your favor knowing you have a bird in hand.
I am not sure i agree that having an offer with contingenices such as 'selling my exisitng home' (regardless of it being in contract) is 'having a bird in hand'.

The contract might close, but it too, had a contingency (let me guess, the buyer needed to sell THEIR house?); the refi is a VERY long shot, with LOTS of time required before they see a check (and then, is the check sufficient, or do they need for YOU to make price concessions?); and the 'we need to list/sell our house is just a pipe dream. None of these is anything close to a 'bird in the hand', and indeed, sometimes turns out to be more of a pain than having no 'offer' at all. Any one of them demands a full price counter if you enter into an agreement with them, and THEY ARE NOT ALL CASH OFFERS.

An 'all cash offer' is one where the buyer has the funds in the bank and is prepared to close the deal by Friday. Anything which falls short of this and ties your hands in some/any way is a contingent offer.

Capiche?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
An 'all cash offer' is one where the buyer has the funds in the bank and is prepared to close the deal by Friday. Anything which falls short of this (beyond condition/inspection matters) and ties your hands in some/any way is a contingent (on someone else doing something) offer.

Capiche?
Agreed.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
An 'all cash offer' is one where the buyer has the funds in the bank and is prepared to close the deal by Friday. Anything which falls short of this and ties your hands in some/any way is a contingent offer.
Agreed, an "all Cash Offer" means cash in the hand, not hope in the hand that may become cash in the hand when and if I actually do get the cash from their hand to my hand so I can put it in your hand!

The "All Cash Offer" that isn't CASH IN HAND RIGHT NOW but depending on something else to maybe happen that will get the cash is nothing but a sales tactic Real Estate Agents use on sellers to close a deal.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is my read on it, too.

I have never seen an offer with no contingencies.
All a contingency is, is a condition introduced into the contract.

It may be a closing date, and recourse if the closing date is not met.
It may be a right to inspect and to accept the inspection results or negotiate repairs.
It may be that the property must convey with insurable and marketable title.
There are many other conditions that are hardly relevant to the source of payment that the buyer will use, whether cash or loan.

While the need to close on a current contract of sale on the buyers' current home is a weighty condition for the seller to consider, it is a "cash offer" if the buyer is not borrowing, because they will have cash to close their purchase.

Probing the offer to assess the risk is part of the due diligence of the seller, and knowledge of the buyers' details and status of the sales contract of their home in detail should help assess the risk.
So the OP gets a bundle of non-refundable Earnest Money and rolls the dice. Or rolls the dice that a better offer, cash or financed will be forthcoming.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Cash offer just means there is no contingency on buyer having to obtain mortgage. It doesn't mean that buyer can't put a contingency on selling their house first. In the instance where buyer need to sell first, the cash offer isn't as attractive as someone who do cash offer and close within 30 days but it's still a cash buy.

In my experience with cash offer. Seller doesn't ask that I have the cash sitting in my closet. I just need to show where the fund is coming from. It has always been sufficient when I show them the line of credit that I will be drawing from.

I agree with MikeJaquish. Every purchase contract has contingencies. Closing within 10 days is a contingency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate