Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times

Advertisements

So you may or may not have had inspections on a house you definitely don't have a contract on? The agent is not forthcoming with information and at least part of what they told is incorrect (you can get your escrow back if you never had a contract). I'd say you either get some info or you get an attorney, or maybe both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
I bet you can search that company and find a lot of complaints. You can't be the first one who got all this shady treatment.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Call a lawyer immediately. I don't mean next week. Or two days from now. I mean go to one first thing in the morning.

And do yourself a favor. You need to talk with someone else before you remotely think about buying a house again. You need help in your decision making.
Totally agree.

After you hire an attorney and get yourself out of this mess, please search this forum on how to find a good buyer's agent. Lots of good advice on here, and you need help.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Neither home inspector nor the appraiser is going to refund your money. Their fees are not contingent upon the home closing. They are being paid for the work done. If they completed the home inspection and the appraisal, you can kiss that money good-bye. The most you're going to get is copies of their work.

Go get yourself some knowledge about the home buying process. Walk away from this house- you have nothing here- you're not closing on anything, you don't even have a signed offer.

Then go find a nationally known real estate office. Normally I wouldn't say that, but you don't seem to know how to pick a small, local firm. There are many of those. However, you've chosen fly by night rather than a legit firm. Go to the real estate office, talk to the broker in the office, explain what's happened to you and have them assign you a buyer's agent. Don't even think about looking at a house until that agent has schooled you on how things work. Do your own due diligence in learning the process also.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab0416 View Post
So I have been looking to buy a house and I found a realtor that has a company all in one. The realtor, the lender, the title company, inspectors, etc. etc. About a month and a half ago I signed a contract for a house with my agent and the seller has not signed it yet. The agent has my escrow as well as the money for the inspection and appraisal. I put a closing date for 06/30/2013 and want to back out. However now that I told the realtor that I want to back out of this house if there is no signed contract signed by the seller by 06/30/2013. The agent claims that I can no longer get my escrow, appraisal & inspection money back. I want to know if i can get my escrow back and if there is a way for me to know if there truly was an inspection & appraisal done on the house.
I have never heard of a realtor who was also a lender, a title company AND an inspector. Did this person also claim to be an appraiser?

Where did you find this realtor? Did you actually get inside this house, or is this some craigslist scam?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
In my state, the offer you sign has a period of time for the seller to agree, counter-offer, or reject. I would suspect it's true everywhere.

In addition to the good advice about contacting an attorney, I'd also file a complaint with your state's real estate licensing agency.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Then go find a nationally known real estate office. Normally I wouldn't say that, but you don't seem to know how to pick a small, local firm.
Not to take this thread off course but . . . why do you say this? The majority of national brands (ex. Re/Max, Prudential, Keller Williams, William Raveis, Century 21, etc, etc, etc) are indepently owned local franchises. They're just as "local" as an idependent brokerage and with the exception of having a nationally recognized logo and color scheme they operate in much the same manner as well. The big difference with a "big name" office is that there's often more formal and organized training of the agents along with well thought out marketing materials provided by the "home office."

Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Not to take this thread off course but . . . why do you say this? The majority of national brands (ex. Re/Max, Prudential, Keller Williams, William Raveis, Century 21, etc, etc, etc) are indepently owned local franchises. They're just as "local" as an idependent brokerage and with the exception of having a nationally recognized logo and color scheme they operate in much the same manner as well. The big difference with a "big name" office is that there's often more formal and organized training of the agents along with well thought out marketing materials provided by the "home office."
I haven't read the franchise agreements, but I suspect that any unsavory or possibly illegal behavior would put the franchise at risk...so I think the advice given was appropriate.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
And the OP has disappeared ...

Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 PM

66 posts, read 146,327 times
touble is everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate