Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,006 times

Advertisements

I sort of have to laugh. I read about people firing their brokers after three months if the house doesn't sell then I read how the brokers a marketing genius if the house sells within 3-6 months in this market.
How if they sold homes in the 80's they now know what they're doing. LOLOL.
Its no different now than it ever was....cept you have to lower your price accordingly now.
Its really simple people. Your house is what someone's willing to pay for it. List it for too much and it won't sell...duh.
Thing is...especially in this market luck has a ton to do with it. The right person coming along at the right time.
Its 90%+ about PRICE!!!!
Keep your house clean and presentable and staged right.
Always be ready to show it!
Do the open houses.
And have it listed on the internet (MLS)... people know where to look if they're house hunting.
AND PRICE IT RIGHT!!!
Stay ahead of the curve!!
Ads in the newspapers do squat now-a-daze!
Its all about the internet and MLS which pretty much are one of the same.
PRICE PRICE PRICE

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
I sort of have to laugh. I read about people firing their brokers after three months if the house doesn't sell then I read how the brokers a marketing genius if the house sells within 3-6 months in this market.
How if they sold homes in the 80's they now know what they're doing. LOLOL.
Its no different now than it ever was....cept you have to lower your price accordingly now.
Its really simple people. Your house is what someone's willing to pay for it. List it for too much and it won't sell...duh.
Thing is...especially in this market luck has a ton to do with it. The right person coming along at the right time.
Its 90%+ about PRICE!!!!
Keep your house clean and presentable and staged right.
Always be ready to show it!
Do the open houses.
And have it listed on the internet (MLS)... people know where to look if they're house hunting.
AND PRICE IT RIGHT!!!
Stay ahead of the curve!!
Ads in the newspapers do squat now-a-daze!
Its all about the internet and MLS which pretty much are one of the same.
PRICE PRICE PRICE

What am I missing?
Andybuildz I had to laugh when I read your post. our agent does everything we ask her plus we are away closing on another home in NC and she will have an open house for us Fri, Sat and Sunday. We are on the internet and MLS and she does advertise the open homes. We have a sign on our front yard that she is adding things on.mint condition,home warrenty,up to six months mortgage paid,Pool, water front property and she just found room for bring an offer.My problem is this is her only souce of income and has been for 9 years. She has not sold a home since Aug. We hired her because she went that extra mile and got quick sales.This is what I meant when I said I need an agent whe has been through the bad times and like I said we are going down in price when we get home. She does not know this but she does know I will go down but not how much.She thought it would sell at the original price. I am also going to tell hubby we will be going down in price to me that is a no brainer but to some it is.lol

BTW I grew up on LI,Syosset and I have friends still living there that pay such high propery taxes.$8,000-9000 a year ouch.

Last edited by lorriem; 11-29-2007 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'll respectfully disagree, though I will admit that my opinion may be colored at least slightly by the fact that I was NOT in this business in the early '90s.
It matters not how many years your Realtor has been in the business, but whether your Realtor understands MARKETING and has a comprehensive plan to MARKET your property. I know quite a few Realtors who have been in the business since that time, and most of them would agree that I put together a more thorough & complete marketing plan, exploiting marketing venues they aren't as familiar with, and which the "modern Realtor" knows are critically important. Don't let yourself miss out on what may be the more qualified person in favor of a more experienced one.
You respectfully disagree and then you take a reputation point away from me. That is not a reason to do that and if you read the list for taking points away they say if you disagree you cannot do that. This is what I posted Bill and I even said Thank you. It was only a tongue and cheek post. (The only reason I want one from the late 80's is they have adapted from a bad market and into a great market. I am sure they have knowedge on how they worked the bad market. But I will take your advice also.Thank you)

Last edited by lorriem; 11-29-2007 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: made an unfair charge to another poster

Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
You respectfully disagree and then you take a reputation point away from me. That is not a reason to do that and if you read the list for taking points away they say if you disagree you cannot do that. This is what I posted Bill and I even said Thank you. It was only a tongue and cheek post. (The only reason I want one from the late 80's is they have adapted from a bad market and into a great market. I am sure they have knowedge on how they worked the bad market. But I will take your advice also.Thank you)
Ahh, nope. Not me. I've actually NEVER taken a rep point from anyone. You might want want to check that data.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Andybuildz I had to laugh when I read your post. our agent does everything we ask her plus we are away closing on another home in NC and she will have an open house for us Fri, Sat and Sunday. We are on the internet and MLS and she does advertise the open homes. We have a sign on our front yard that she is adding things on.mint condition,home warrenty,up to six months mortgage paid,Pool, water front property and she just found room for bring an offer.My problem is this is her only souce of income and has been for 9 years. She has not sold a home since Aug. We hired her because she went that extra mile and got quick sales.This is what I meant when I said I need an agent whe has been through the bad times and like I said we are going down in price when we get home. She does not know this but she does know I will go down but not how much.She thought it would sell at the original price. I am also going to tell hubby we will be going down in price to me that is a no brainer but to some it is.lol

Yep...Its one thing for an agent to do nothing but even a decent agent IMO will do the things that need doing because there are only so many things you can do like as in the list I made and the ones you made.
We even offered extra commission points to any seller that brought us a buyer before we lowered the price. that would have made them close to an extra $20,000-$40,000. Nice incentive to JUST show our house to someone they might not have shown it to.
That still did squat as we figured. So we lowered the price.
Its mainly about price and getting the house shown.
Pretty simple stuff.
Even open houses aren't the end all do all b/c when a serious buyer is looking they WILL find you open house or not.
If anything, open houses bring the realtor new customers. It helps the realtor as well doing open houses....maybe more than for the seller some times.

One things for sure...newspaper ads are a thing of the past.

We're seriously thinking of a move to Western NC to the Asheville area so we better hurry up and sell this dump before Asheville becomes the next Long Island...it won't be long...LOL

Old 11-29-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
You respectfully disagree and then you take a reputation point away from me.
Don't worry...I just "gave" you a reputation point....lol...us house sellers need all the points we can get...LOL

Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Yep...Its one thing for an agent to do nothing but even a decent agent IMO will do the things that need doing because there are only so many things you can do like as in the list I made and the ones you made.
We even offered extra commission points to any seller that brought us a buyer before we lowered the price. that would have made them close to an extra $20,000-$40,000. Nice incentive to JUST show our house to someone they might not have shown it to.
That still did squat as we figured. So we lowered the price.
Its mainly about price and getting the house shown.
Pretty simple stuff.
Even open houses aren't the end all do all b/c when a serious buyer is looking they WILL find you open house or not.
If anything, open houses bring the realtor new customers. It helps the realtor as well doing open houses....maybe more than for the seller some times.

One things for sure...newspaper ads are a thing of the past.

We're seriously thinking of a move to Western NC to the Asheville area so we better hurry up and sell this dump before Asheville becomes the next Long Island...it won't be long...LOL

It is just beautiful up here. We bought in Hudson,NC. Small town but close to the Blue Ridge Mountains. About 30 min away. We have friends who live up there in Boone but it is pricey

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Ahh, nope. Not me. I've actually NEVER taken a rep point from anyone. You might want want to check that data.
Bill I am so sorry it has no name I just thought it was you and was so surprized since you are so polite. I will try and delete the post.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Don't worry...I just "gave" you a reputation point....lol...us house sellers need all the points we can get...LOL
Thank you Andy but he said he didn't do it and the coward didn't post his or her name. You can take the point back. I should control my temper but I (we) are all so stressed.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
It is just beautiful up here. We bought in Hudson,NC. Small town but close to the Blue Ridge Mountains. About 30 min away. We have friends who live up there in Boone but it is pricey
Compared to where I am NC is shocking to me!! Average taxes in my neck of the woods here are about 18 grand! In the less afluent area they're still over 10.
I'm only here b/c I do reno's for a living and we haven't stayed in the same one more than 5 years at a time. We live in them as I work on em'.
You can see my last two in my website in my profile here.
We have the Goose Hill house up for sale now which is where we are currently.
It was a total wreck five years ago. You wouldn't have known it was the same place. It sat vacant for quite a long time which is saying a lot in this neck of the woods cause NOTHING stays vacant. It was that bad and being an historic house no one was allowed to take it down
Too bad now that I'm finally done the market has to be so bad..ugh.

I'm thinking somewhere between Black Mtn and Asheville might be our next stop. I actually have my eye on something but who knows what will happen with the way things are going.

You'd think with me being 50 minutes to Manhatten and on the north shore of LI where its actually beautiful that we might have a little edge on this market....well...spose I'll find out sometime before the spring.
I do plan on being realistic.......ugh
I guess we could stay and wait it out but I'd rather move on so we'll just have to see which way the wind blows. Ya never know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate