Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM

606 posts, read 903,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Without measuring or seeing the measurements, it is impossible to say the OP is in error on the total SF, particularly if the OP's SF is pulled from an appraisal or an agent's measurements.

Wake County SF is not ever an accepted value for any real estate purpose by any professional. It is a value used to assess taxes only.
If I EVER had a listing where the living area SF was the same as Wake County records show, I would disclaim clearly that my SF was based on actual real estate measurements, not taken from county records. Only lazy, incompetent, or dishonest agents use Wake County SF numbers directly as listing SF.

So, a local agent could measure 1480SF above grade, 1480 SF below grade, totaling 2960 SF, and if it is all finished and heated, it is Living Area.
Where it gets interesting is putting a market value on the SF.
Below grade finished heated living area is nearly never valued over $35-$40/SF, and that skews values in comparison to some popular belief in the value of basements.
There are many agents who fib about below grade area being above grade to try to pump value, or out of lack of skill.
I live in Wake County, not far from the OP in fact. I even have a sloped driveway, although not as severely sloped as the OP. I just wanted to back you up about Wake County SF issue that most seem to take issue with. My house is listed in WC records as 1350 sf. My actual living area is 2560 based on actual measurements. Those actual measurements are what is most important around here (those actual measurements are what the the appraisals down have been based on with a differentiation between above/below grade). If my house had been listed by the WC SF in the listing when I was looking for houses, I never would have bothered looking at it because it wouldn't have been big enough. Thankfully the agent listed it correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
"Unique" is the problem.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 AM

21 posts, read 36,477 times
Quote:
Hey, OP, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious. How's it going, have you made any changes to the house? Working on updates to the website or getting the photos redone?
Its going good. I have since rented a storage unit and started putting as much as we can in it. We removed the projector from the upper level, removed all the stickers and border from the walls, sold several of the larger furniture items on craigs list and emptied a few rooms. we Just signed removal papers to get it off the MLS while we consider looking for agent, or list our self again with 7 or 8% buyer agent commission, or just keep living here.

Quote:
Nope - he checked in yesterday at around 5:30pm (look at his profile, then click statistics).

But the criticism and negativity would be hard to take. Tough love is hard to hear. Nevertheless, no one was rude - we were just honest.

For those interested in following the progress of this home, the current MLS #1887809, address: 310 Howland St, Cary, NC 27513. The current listing has not changed a bit from the original. I did not look at the much attacked website that the OP put together himself, and the moderator has removed the link in the OP's first post (presumably at the request of the OP).
Correct, I am here and while it is painful we are listening. What recently put a twist on this is a buyer has our home as their top 3. We will hear back from them on Monday. Note, they saw the house after we started with the suggestions from here.

Last edited by Mike_G; 07-07-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
You have the best attitude! I really, really hope you find a buyer and that you and they are both happy with the end result. Please keep us posted!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
You have the best attitude! I really, really hope you find a buyer and that you and they are both happy with the end result. Please keep us posted!
I hope the improvements in staging have a positive effect. The OP's has demonstrated a truly STELLAR ability to focus on actions they can take to have a desirable outcome; that is really hard when there is a lot of negativity.

The big take away for anyone else that may want to learn from the OP's experience is that while it is probably BEST to try and make a great "first impression" there are steps that will help "recover" from decision to list in less than ideal staging -- getting the stuff that is most distracting moved out is a HUGE step in the right direction.

In hindsight, with interest rates not as favorable as they were, it is especially disheartening to think that the OP may have missed the opportunity to get their best price, but approaching things as they can is all that one can do...

Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
We were house shopping for a new house 2 yrs ago. Looked at hundreds of houses and finally found a great home.

No offense OP, but yours would have been an instant disqual for us from the curb. We ( and I think most other home buyers ) are no a big fan of the home in a bunker look. it is not befitting to curb appeal when the entire lot is below street level. It just has no street appeal.

The good news is you only need 1 buyer - so who really cares what myself and a bunch of others may think.

best of luck

Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I hope the improvements in staging have a positive effect. The OP's has demonstrated a truly STELLAR ability to focus on actions they can take to have a desirable outcome; that is really hard when there is a lot of negativity.

The big take away for anyone else that may want to learn from the OP's experience is that while it is probably BEST to try and make a great "first impression" there are steps that will help "recover" from decision to list in less than ideal staging -- getting the stuff that is most distracting moved out is a HUGE step in the right direction.

In hindsight, with interest rates not as favorable as they were, it is especially disheartening to think that the OP may have missed the opportunity to get their best price, but approaching things as they can is all that one can do...
I'll repeat Chet's usual great insight,only adding that IMHO this is a textbook example of why hiring a good realtor is so important.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Great job decluttering! I hope you get an offer soon, I know selling is so frustrating!!! Good luck!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
Its going good. I have since rented a storage unit and started putting as much as we can in it. We removed the projector from the upper level, removed all the stickers and border from the walls, sold several of the larger furniture items on craigs list and emptied a few rooms. we Just signed removal papers to get it off the MLS while we consider looking for agent, or list our self again with 7 or 8% buyer agent commission, or just keep living here.

Correct, I am here and while it is painful we are listening. What recently put a twist on this is a buyer has our home as their top 3. We will hear back from them on Monday. Note, they saw the house after we started with the suggestions from here.
That's all well and good but......... did you adjust your price to a level that other realtors mentioned? I seem to remember most posts saying to do what you are now doing and a price drop. Cleaning out and staging will only make it easier to sell if the price is right.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That's all well and good but......... did you adjust your price to a level that other realtors mentioned? I seem to remember most posts saying to do what you are now doing and a price drop. Cleaning out and staging will only make it easier to sell if the price is right.

It is much more interesting a pricing project than any of the input has recognized.
The price should be what the market supports.
Much of the price analysis did not take into account that most homes in the area do not have two car garages.
Most of the analysis was based on homes that were much older. Good comps are only a few years difference in age of the improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate