Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,610 times

Advertisements

My realtor has never mentioned a Caravan. When I first moved to Florida the realtor we were using as a buyer told us how her office would do a Caravan every Wednesday... but she said they would just drive around to new listings and did not say they actually all went through the house. That is very interesting.

My realtor has done several "open houses" lately and is finding them to be a big flop. Sitting in an empty house for a couple of hours and nobody shows up. In my case that would not be the case. We have dogs and do not have a place we can just "go away and take them", there are 5 !! So the dogs will be here, but kept in the back yard, if anyone shows up. We are planning an open house for one of the two weekends after Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 06:04 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
This past caravan has sparked 2 showings.One with some promise.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
The agents are in their own cars, following each other around from place to place. They meet at someone's office, go over the list of homes they will see, share whatever the latest info is that is going on in the industry, drink coffee and eat dougnuts and off they go..following each other. Broker's opens are when there are homes that are open to brokers only and it's a hit or miss if they will come to your home vs another.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
Actually, it's different in different markets. In the intown areas of Atlanta, "caravan" is every Tuesday and it is synonymous with "broker's open house." Agents advertise in the MLS (as well as direct advertising to other offices) that their listing will be on caravan. Some brokerages actually do the traditional caravan thing where a bunch of agents pile into cars and follow each other around to different listings while other offices are less organized and individual agents take off in their own cars (if they want to) to see listings in their own neighborhood(s) or listings they think might match a buyer they're working with.

The agent holding the caravan typically offers either food (sometimes very elaborate catered affairs, sometimes just cookies, generally depending on the price of the home) or freebies (free gas cards, cash drawings, etc.) to induce other agents to attend.

Although it's always conceivable that an agent attending the caravan might possibly have a buyer for whom the listing would fit, the biggest reason that agents (at least here) have caravans is to get feedback from other agents about the condition of the house, it's saleability and any major objections, and pricing.

Caravan is a major activity for agents, but only in certain neighborhoods. Even in densely populated intown Atlanta there are only certain neighborhoods where it makes sense to have a house on caravan. The neighborhoods where it works well enough to make it worth the time and expense are those that have multiple listings PLUS nearby real estate offices. Agents will not drive a long way to go to a caravan and they need to be able to see a number of properties in the same small window of time.

So, for anyone whose agent is telling them that they don't do caravans and/or broker open houses, it's entirely possible that it really is not an activity that happens in your market. I know some brokerages out in the suburban markets in Atlanta do caravan but they do a rotating system where they divide their much-larger market into quadrants and will head off to one quandrant each week so it takes them a month to see new listings in their entire market. And some of these offices use their caravan day to just see new construction since that's what predominates in their markets. So it's different everywhere.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
This morning my agent brought the other agents from other brokers through this morning.First thing they were VERY courteous and made sure they didn't make a mess. I was watching the group.Because the agents for the RE company here in the Jax area were like a stampeded.Back to the house,I stayed outside.The feedback on the house was great.They asked if I lived alone and were very surprized to hear its my wife and two boys and me.The house they looked at before ours had children and looked like a bomb had been deployed.One agent was on the phone calling a buyer he has to set up a showing.He was wondering why the house didn't show up on a search.His buyer is looking for a place with 1 plus acre and a big garage.I have a 1000sq ft garage.So a positive morning.Talked with my agent to double check how the house is on the MLS.So its picked up better on searches.And nothing negitive on the asking price.But will wait for the written feedback.So some good can come from caravans.Was it here I read that some don't like caravans.Thanks for listening to my ramble
Congratulations. Sounds like a lot of progress and potential. However, the above (bolded/underlined) would be a concern of mine. I would check into and stay on top of this aspect. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
Yes ENAJ that was first on the list of things done to correct how our house showes up on searches.We had a interesting event happen.Its the only way I know how to discribe it.A agent shoed the house this past weekend to a couple looking for there son.From what I was told there was some sort of disagreement between the people looking and the agent.So the folks got into there vehicle and when backing up floored the SUV they where driving spinning there tires and turning around in my side yard.Then once in drive nailed it again out the drive.Leaving 2 long curved tire spin marks,dug up grass marks in my yard.Asked my agent about it.Was told the showing agent gave her some short nonanswer answer.A little bit of creative landscaping and thing are fine.I could write a book about this whole ordeal.But still trying to be postive.But have lost faith in the system.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,067 times
I would be angry about that too, I would contact the office where that agent came from if I were you. Or you could have your agent do it... damaging property on a home that you are showing is not something that should be tolerated. I don't care how angry someone is, if they drive over my lawn they're going to hear something from me!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,584 times
Is there a website where I can find out who is doing caravans in the Metro Atlanta area and when? I have several agents that want to go on a caravan but I have no idea where to look. Help!! Thanks.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
There was thread on this a couple of days ago about foreclosure bus tours and most agents said they thought it was a good idea. If it is forclosures or not getting traffic through your house is always a good idea, the more exposure the better.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylboswell View Post
Is there a website where I can find out who is doing caravans in the Metro Atlanta area and when? I have several agents that want to go on a caravan but I have no idea where to look. Help!! Thanks.
Broker Tours are listed in the MLS in my area. The concept of caravans, as described here, does not exist. Perhaps this is the case in your area, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate