Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 PM

85 posts, read 305,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Unfortunately, Liz, I think buyers are very few and far between. And I'm not an agent, so I tell you that as a seller myself. It took a long time for me to come to grip with that. Countless times I wondered "what is wrong with my house? Why is it not selling?"

Yes, there are lookers (but I have to sell my house first) and the cycle repeats itself..can't buy because they can't sell...

There are people that are itching to buy, but can't (credit or mortgage issues or no down payment)...

So, that leaves so few "true buyers" and the agents are fighting for them. And those agents that have a true buyer, you can bet your bottom dollar they are pushing their own listings first.

So, if you are indeed really wanting to sell in this market, you will have to beat all competition in pricing.
(Couponjack is going to have a heartattack after he reads this, I'm sure...LOL)
This statement, although widely repeated and believed, is quite flawed in its accuracy. The absolute WORST thing a REALTOR can do is push a home on someone - it's the best way to turn off a customer. If the buyer finds my listing to be the best for their needs, I'm blessed; if not, I may be honored to assist them in the purchase of another home that will suit them better.

But to state agents are "pushing their own listings first" is quite a blanket statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
It is slower right now, but that's always the case after school goes back in. No one in their right mind should expect showings in fall/winter to equal showings during spring/summer. But the buyers out there are serious buyers. Even though you'll have fewer showings, you'll have more quality showings and fewer tire-kickers.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post

So, if you are indeed really wanting to sell in this market, you will have to beat all competition in pricing.
(Couponjack is going to have a heartattack after he reads this, I'm sure...LOL)

(Fainting after reading this post)......

LB, look I know your area and many others haven't "appreciated" as much as some bubble areas, but unfortunately you're being punished for trying to sell at the wrong time. Less qualified buyers now which shrinks the pool...also foreclosures are starting to rear its ugly head which bring home values down....not a good situation for a majority of markets.

You said it right. If you want some serious offers, the house must 1st be staged properly. Also, people are going to have to either bite the bullet and sell/list for alot less than they expected or wait it out a couple of years...

Now is a good time to expect worse case and see how you can sacrifice if you have to sell lower than you can afford.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Quote:
This statement, although widely repeated and believed, is quite flawed in its accuracy. The absolute WORST thing a REALTOR can do is push a home on someone - it's the best way to turn off a customer. If the buyer finds my listing to be the best for their needs, I'm blessed; if not, I may be honored to assist them in the purchase of another home that will suit them better.

But to state agents are "pushing their own listings first" is quite a blanket statement
Not all agents may do this, this has simply been my observation in our local market. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, hey, sales are dog eat dog around here...

Quote:
(Fainting after reading this post)......
LOL, hang on, I'm bringing the smelling salts!

Sara, Thanks for the good luck point, that was a sweet thought :-)

Last edited by PotterGeek; 11-08-2007 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot to thank Sara

Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 PM

238 posts, read 763,109 times
Nice article, newbie.

What I don't get, though, is why is CNN projecting double-digit increases in rent? Is that very likely? With all the sellers renting out homes?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:26 AM

238 posts, read 763,109 times
http://patrick.net/housing/contrib/housing_projection.html (broken link)

Old 11-09-2007, 04:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Yeah, I've heard it all too!

Unless you are willing to be the cheapest listing in the MLS, it's not going to sell anyway. You can't really compete with foreclosures and homes being auctioned off to the highest bidder. Those are your new comps and the value of your home is going down the tubes with them. Maybe you can see if you can get in on that ERA plan where they buy your house when it doesn't sell. You still lose money but at least you know when the nightmare will end.

By the way they are auctioning off more than 300 homes in Vegas on Dec 2nd. I think we will be seeing this all over the place. It happened in MN a couple weekends ago and now people expect to get a livable home for 21K.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
I saw the first auction sign in our area the other day...3200 sq ft "executive home" being auctioned. Not a good sign, unfortunately, as our area didn't experience a bubble.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:47 PM

582 posts, read 2,009,355 times
Yeah, I wouldn't expect that byron had experienced a bubble, it's a bit too far from Atlanta for that. I'm surprised you are seeing an auction, except maybe people just aren't going down there right now so they need to attract buyers somehow?

And, you're welcome.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM

333 posts, read 1,991,502 times
Anyone check on CouponJack? Is he conscious yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate